Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be annoyed

(88 Posts)
numberplease Tue 27-Dec-11 20:35:31

That my husband has hardly touched his meals all over Christmas, yet can find room for fruit, jelly and cream afterwards, and chocolates. We needn`t have bothered buying a turkey, he`s only nibbled at his, and my daughter says there was nothing wrong with it, and it tasted OK to me. He says it`s because he`s not as hungry these days, but in that case, how come he can eat the fancy stuff? There was even a row at teatime today, he said there was too much on his plate, yet I deliberately gave him less than usual. I`m sorry to be such a misery, it`s just getting me down.

Maniac Fri 06-Apr-12 22:00:57

Annobel Your plan to tell phone caller that you are dead gave me a good laugh.
Thanks and goodnight.

eGJ Fri 06-Apr-12 19:57:52

Do your callers from India always ask for "Mrs Porter"? They asked a friend if she was Mrs Porter too; perhaps they are lonely souls really searching!! I asked what kind of emergency were they ringing about today which made them splutter then hang up!

Annobel Fri 06-Apr-12 19:18:15

I was planning to tell Virgo Home Improvements that I'm dead if they call me again. But might that be a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Anagram Fri 06-Apr-12 18:35:57

grin

supernana Fri 06-Apr-12 18:21:43

Quite right, jeni it's not a bad thing to let off steam. We've had two nuisance calls today. My husband often responds with...'Mr so and so is in prison. I'm minding his missus...' That tends to shut the caller up wink

jeni Fri 06-Apr-12 13:42:17

Grrrrrrrrrrrr! angry
Now not content with telephone calls I am having almost daily visits from Mark surveys wanting to know about my energy consumption and am I being funded properly?
The next one will get a most unladylike reply, mainly of words starting with the earlier letters of the alphabet! Followed by -off! angry

jeni Thu 22-Mar-12 21:46:28

.grin

bagitha Thu 22-Mar-12 21:44:04

But you're a very good sheep dog shepherd! Vodka-flavoured grass and all that... grin

jeni Thu 22-Mar-12 21:42:03

I'll go and sulksad

bagitha Thu 22-Mar-12 21:17:53

Baa!

Jacey Thu 22-Mar-12 20:53:45

I know ...it's hard to believe isn't it! hmm grin

jeni Thu 22-Mar-12 20:49:51

Me? grin

Jacey Thu 22-Mar-12 20:09:23

Wow ...I've kust tracked through all of this as I didn't understand Bluesky posting about food when all the threads above had been about unwanted telephone calls!! confused

It was that jeni ... right back in January who posted a cooment nothing to do with the on-going thread!! shock and we all followed like sheep hmm

So going right back to the original post numberplease ...is your OH eating any better? or have you just adjusted to the situation?

BlueSky Thu 22-Mar-12 19:21:52

Numberplease, please let your DH decide for himself what and how much he wants to eat. I find that there's nothing more irritating than people trying to force feed you, the same goes for kids, I feel sorry when they aren't allowed pudding just because they haven't finished their main meal, as I eat exactly what I want when I want. You could ask him what he fancies eating before cooking so not to get annoyed by the wasted effort, also do ask him if he's feeling ok, as he could have some undiagnosed condition.

harrigran Thu 22-Mar-12 18:38:40

I have been away for 48 hours and just checked the missed calls, six, all cold, callers even though we are with TPS. Another four calls were from numbers we barred so the phone would not have actually rung. At the beginning of the week I had one from a builder who said they were working in the area and noticed we needed work doing. I told him "you are not working in the area or you would be able to see that I have just had the house rebuilt" phone slammed down !

bagitha Thu 22-Mar-12 18:04:49

Like the hooter idea! grin. I have also found it quite effective to say nothing when I pick up the receiver if it's an "out of area" call. That way, if it is a machine dialling from a call centre, the call will cut out when it hears no human voice. If it's a 'proper' caller, they will speak: "Hello?" and you can go from there, but the silent pickup deals with the majority of nuisance calls, I find. You can warn your family and friends.

Carol Thu 22-Mar-12 17:20:47

Elegran I now have a funny cartoon image in my head of you blasting a vevusala up your chimney and lots of sooty pigeon feathers fluttering down on you!! grin

jeni Thu 22-Mar-12 16:45:02

I think I shall play the harp(which needs tuning) at the next one!

Elegran Thu 22-Mar-12 16:41:13

Keep a loud hooter beside the phone. I got a couple of good ones at the time of the World Cup in Africa. Useful for hooting up the chimney at roosting pigeons. Cover you ears when hooting or you will be unable to hear the phone when next it rings.

jeni Thu 22-Mar-12 16:32:00

Fourth call, Indian voice name Joshua, lifestyle survey. Same as last one.
He may have brought down the walls of Jericho, but not mine!
I'm getting really angry now! Usually I'm fair.y laid back but this is getting my choler rousedangry

Elegran Thu 22-Mar-12 16:24:36

Forgot to add, it did not appear on the list of incoming calls. Call from nowhere. S
Which should I call in, a hacking expert or an exorcist?

Elegran Thu 22-Mar-12 16:22:12

Yesterday I had a very odd call. It came up on the caller identification as being from Bedroom 1. Our phones can act as an intercom so we have one in the bedroom and it is number one on the list of extensions. DH was downstairs so bedroom empty, but I answered it and said hello to see what was going on.

Caller sounded surprised that anyone answered, but gave his name when asked. I could hear a kind of call centre noise n the background so assume that it was an automatic dialling system.

jeni Thu 22-Mar-12 16:06:19

Three phone calls today. Two silent, one wanting me to take part in a survey. Yesterday I had (yet again) the call about viruses on my computer.
I'm fed up!

Elegran Wed 22-Feb-12 11:12:12

This is mentioned on these threads:-

AIBU To be annoyed
TECH STUFF Phone calls from India
TECH STUFF Strange phone call...

Just cross-referencing.
I'll bump the other threads to get them up the list.

numberplease Sat 04-Feb-12 18:51:46

We are on TPS, but unfortunately it only stops calls from within the UK, can`t stop all the foreign ones, of which we get several a day.