Gransnet forums

AIBU

To hate the trend for re-enactments in TV programmes

(7 Posts)
Mamie Thu 29-Dec-11 08:45:42

Have just been watching last night's programme about Tommy Cooper and being driven mad by the fact that the director seems to think I need a re-enactment of a man talking on a telephone. Having been around for sixty something years, I think I can picture a man on a telephone. Some time ago there was a programme about women pilots in the Second World War. Wonderful women, many still alive to tell their story unaided. But no, we had to have re-enactments of 1940's-style women putting on lipstick etc. Why? Are we considered so stupid that we no longer have any imagination? What happened to "in my mind's eye"?

Carol Thu 29-Dec-11 09:28:08

It's just like the newspapers, particularly red tops, who provide arrows to show the direction someone has fallen off a building to their death, or put white circles around the locations on a photo to tell us where people were stood when they were several yards from each other. Patronising and unnecessary!

absentgrana Thu 29-Dec-11 11:17:08

What about the television news? Whenever there is something about breast cancer, we see the same woman having a mammogram, even if the item is about a possible vaccine or new treatment. Equally, anything to do with the elderly from pensions to Alzheimers shows the same woman walking across a room with the aid of a Zimmer frame and another stirring a cup of tea.

gracesmum Thu 29-Dec-11 13:38:04

I am reminded of a sketch on, I think, Monty Python's Flying circus about 50 years ago where there was a reference to the Lord Privy Seal -
illustrated by
1) a peer of the realm
2) you've guessed
and 3) a seal balancing a beach ball on his nose.

Pennysue Thu 29-Dec-11 13:56:57

Why do they show snippets of old black and white films when the programme is about history pre photography/film. Gives the impression that we have had film since Adam was a lad.

I think they like to take any opportunity of showing breasts - hence the mammogram.

Annika Thu 29-Dec-11 15:13:08

When reporting floods why do they feel the need to don on a pair of wellies and stand in the flood water ?????
I know what a river in flood looks like, I have to pass over the Wye every time I need to go into town ! hmm

JessM Thu 29-Dec-11 15:17:09

They are scared about just having a talking head on the screen and feel the need to supply a stream of different visual images to keep the audience "entertained". News is of course a form of entertainment these days folks.
I feel sorry for the poor devils of reporters that are sent to stand outside buildings so that they can provide the 10pm news with an on the spot report. Do we really need to see someone standing outside Papworth hospital to update us on Phillip Mountbatten's heart. For pete's sake!!!!