Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hostilities between DS's

(95 Posts)
Yummygran Wed 04-Jan-12 17:07:02

Help I don't know what to do!

Boxing Day was meant to be a happy gathering of my two DS's and their respective partners, each with a little DD. It all began well, but my eldest made a 'helpful' comment to his DB about their 2yr old's potty training mishaps whilst in my house and his SIL took exception to it and made a derogatory comment about his DD, not being the 'perfect' child and how she wouldn't ever listen to 'his parenting skills'.

This caused my eldest DS to try and frog march her out of my house, which then erupted into a fight between both DS's. I quickly put a stop to it and everyone left, but it was so upsetting. My eldest DS and his SIL have never got on and he can't understand why I tolerate her when she has caused so much trouble in the past between me and both my DS's. She is rather a difficult person to get on with despite my various attempts in the past, I have always tried to treat her the same as my other DIL but she seems to be very jealous of my other DS and his partner, and often makes unkind comments.

Since this happened I have hardly heard from my younger DS who thinks I have taken my eldest DS's side.

Both have vowed never to speak to the other again, and their DF and I are at our wit's end to know how to handle this without taking either side or losing touch with the lot of them, which would break my heart.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

gracesmum Sun 29-Jan-12 17:31:18

What nice news- congratulations thanks and fingers crossed the bridges are going up again!

JessM Sun 29-Jan-12 16:11:06

Frustrating for you. It will be lovely when you get there.

Yummygran Sun 29-Jan-12 15:30:39

There has been no more contact between brothers since the 'congratulations' text. I haven't seen Oscar since the day he was born, so can't wait until next weekend when I can travel down to see him and have a long awaited cuddle. I'm having to make do with pictures. sad

Carol Sat 28-Jan-12 08:27:24

That small exchange of textx was an ice-breaker yummy. No-one can resist when a new baby arrives on the scene. Hope you get rid of your cold soon so you can be with baby Oscar x

Greatnan Sat 28-Jan-12 07:54:12

I hope you are soon well enough to cuddle Oscar, yummy. Could be there is a slight thaw in the cold war?

bagitha Fri 27-Jan-12 10:50:32

If my brothers (three of them) are anything to go by, yummy, those texts are at least half way back to normal relations, and as far as I know my brothers have never even fallen out!

glassortwo Fri 27-Jan-12 10:40:45

yummy congratulations on your new GS, so disappointing having to wait for your cuddle thanks Its amazing the bridges babys can build, fingers crossed!

Yummygran Fri 27-Jan-12 10:21:42

Oh I hope so greenmossgiel, there is no sign at the moment though, apart from a one word text 'congratulations'! and a 'thankyou' reply. but here's hoping!. I'm very frustrated, I am full of cold so can't risk passing on my germs to little Oscar. So not visiting this weekend.....sad

greenmossgiel Thu 26-Jan-12 18:12:06

Oh Yummygran - what lovely news! A new baby in the family can build bridges! thanks

glammanana Thu 26-Jan-12 18:00:16

I am so pleased to hear about little Oscar how lovely for you and your family,I hope every thing is well with mum and baby. Congratulations to everyone.thanks

Yummygran Thu 26-Jan-12 17:18:38

Thank you for your good wishes. Yes nanachrissy they are SO lovely, I wish they stayed tiny for a bit so we could make the most of them, but alas they grow so quickly. They took him home today and I can't wait to see him again at the weekend, for a lovely cuddle. smile

nanachrissy Thu 26-Jan-12 15:07:10

Congratulations Yummy babies are gorgeous. thanks

Faye Thu 26-Jan-12 10:53:40

Congratulations yummy on the birth of Oscar. thanks

Butternut Thu 26-Jan-12 10:51:08

Nothing like a new baby to break down a few barriers, yummy. Congrats. smile

bagitha Thu 26-Jan-12 10:46:41

Congratulations on the new arrival, yummy. thanks

Libradi Thu 26-Jan-12 10:44:22

Congratulations on the arrival of your new grandson yummygran! Hopefully this may build a bridge between your sons. They obviously care about each other really. thanks

GoldenGran Thu 26-Jan-12 10:43:16

Congratulations yummygran, maybe baby Oscar'sarrival iwill ease things between the brothers.

Carol Thu 26-Jan-12 10:39:48

Congratulations yummygran and welcome to baby Oscar! A bit of progress there, too - hope it continues for them thanks

Yummygran Thu 26-Jan-12 10:34:44

Latest news! My eldest son's partner gave birth to a beautiful little boy on Tuesday morning 6lb 12oz Oscar Huw. We are thrilled. Though new contact between sons, the youngest has contacted me for news and an update because the little one was put in an incubator after it was found his temperature had dropped significantly when a few hours old. I managed to get him to text 'congratulations' which he did but nothing more.

Yummygran Fri 20-Jan-12 10:17:05

Thankyou Carol for your very wise words, I appreciate it and will continue to post the latest.

Charlotta, my sons are certainly not Mummy's boys as you suggest lol....yes my youngest did ring most days, but only to say 'hello' and tell me what little Ruby has been up to (his 2 yr old) as any proud father would. Or he would ring me to organise babysitting, which was usually Saturdays when both were working.

Please don't get the idea I have them tied to my apron strings...heaven forbid!! I have a fulltime job plus I'm studying for another degree, and have a busy social life, don't think I am a sit at home, needy mother!!! That I will never be! shock

My elder son doesn't ring unless he wants something, the way of most sons, I don't have a problem with that, I speak more to his partner, with whom I get on very well with. We have brought them both up to be independent, which they are.

Apologies for the rant, but I just had to say that!

syberia Thu 19-Jan-12 19:16:04

Annobel sorry, bit concerned about your DS phoning from the car on his way home. I presume he is not driving.

harrigran Thu 19-Jan-12 18:19:38

I know something is amiss if I get a phone call from DC. I do get e-mails and I talk to them on facebook quite often though.

Annobel Thu 19-Jan-12 17:23:41

I would be worried about 'apron strings' if either of my DSs phoned me every day. One of them rings me from the car on his way home to pass the time, but not every evening by any means. The other, maybe a couple of times a week; and I sometimes ring them. Often get their OHs for a chat instead.

JessM Thu 19-Jan-12 17:12:01

That is a fair point charlotta
My DH (the one with the mother who's been bravely ailing for 30 years ) has always said he deliberately does not call her every day, or in a predictable pattern cos if he didn't stick to routine she would be wondering and worrying.
My 2 DSs are grumping with each other and live in different countries. They are both really difficult to get hold of and neither is very good at making contact. If i did not contact them they would probably get in contact with me every month or two (three?) And they are both huffing that their brother is not making enough effort to make contact with them.

Charlotta Thu 19-Jan-12 15:33:25

Yummy gran, you write that your youngest son phoned everyday. Didn't that ever strike you as odd behaviour for a young married man? No wonder DIL is jealous.
There is not that much room for Mother in a young man's life and your DIL senses this. These mother's boys! A mother who is still married, not in difficulties and reasonably healthy can be left alone by a son as he has to look after the next generation.

You have made the first step and backed off a bit and believe me this will pay off in the end.