Gransnet forums

AIBU

Ruddy Cheese

(37 Posts)
Granny23 Sat 14-Jan-12 11:31:46

Am I being unreasonable to expect that when chefs and bakers sneak cheese, creme fresh and yoghurt into their recipes they should indicate this on the menu? As they would for nuts.

Came back from a 24 hour 'festive break' at a spa, left after lunch and within half an hour was so ill, in public toilets, that I feared I would pass out. Rest of the journey, on a beautiful day, was a nightmare for me. Thankfully, DH was driving as I couldn't possibly have driven in that state.
The culprit was the bread and butter pudding I had for dessert, served with what was described as fresh cream, which tasted 'off' to me. I only had a couple of spoonfuls but that was enough.

I have a food intolerance, not to dairy per se - I can drink milk, sup cream and eat butter - but to the bacterium which converts milk into cheese or yoghurt. This has not been a big problem for me until recent years when chefs seem to have decided en masse to add these products, willy nilly, without warning, to soups, sauces, dressings and desserts. I had a long running, and largely one sided on my part, run in with Tesco, when in their wisdom they decided to top my favourite Danish Pastries with cream cheese instead of icing, with nothing in store to indicate this.

If eating out I usually stick to Chinese restaurants (no dairy at all) or fish and chips. The thankfully few times when we dine 'up market', I find my menu choices increasingly limited and in spite of asking the waiter to check with chef have frequently been 'poisoned'.

What is this modern obsession with corrupting standard recipes with cheesy alternastive ingredients?

jeni Sun 15-Jan-12 14:57:23

No vinegar with chips! That's heresy. Wash youg mouth out.
Ps why does chip shop vinegar taste better than normal.
We're back to food again and I'm hungry.
Have just found my scales. Cleaner had put them in the ironing room. I never go in there!

bagitha Sun 15-Jan-12 15:08:11

Looking for something common to all the foods in your list, annika, and I'm stumped! Does that mean there are several things that you're allergic to? How annoying if so.

Annika Sun 15-Jan-12 17:13:41

No bagitha I think I am just odd hmm grin

goldengirl Sun 15-Jan-12 18:23:04

I'm also odd grin because I can't tolerate cream either and so many restaurants these days have dishes swathed in a creamy sauce which are impossible for me to eat. I had a delicious Indian meal last week but I tried a korma forgetting that it contains cream - until I had to make a dive for the loo! I never used to be like this until I contracted that wretched c.diff. Going out for a meal is soooo risky which is very disappointing as I like eating out.

johanna Sun 15-Jan-12 20:14:23

Hello Goldengirl
Sorry to sound totally ignorant about C.Diff. But what are the signs?
Does it only exist in the gut?
How does one contract it? Too many anti-biotics, or just bad luck?
If you have time, please fill me in.

jeni Sun 15-Jan-12 20:19:45

A very nasty bug and difficult to get rid of, hence the difficile. I think usually aquired iin hospital

JessM Sun 15-Jan-12 20:52:31

big doses of broad spectrum antibiotics can create a situation where c diff can move in and thrive in lower bowel. of course lots of people in hospital are on antibiotics after surgery, accidents etc etc
and it is rather persistent
So persistent that in some hospitals they are trying faecal transplants (as in a sample from relatives) with some success (in cases where people stuck in hospital for a long time with this nasty disease). Pretty weird but it works apparently.
Dangerous too in people who are very weak.

jeni Sun 15-Jan-12 21:02:55

Quite!

goldengirl Mon 16-Jan-12 17:58:39

As jeni and JessM have described really Johanna. I contracted it via a minor op compounded by the antibiotics I had to take. I think the best way to describe the main symptom is to say I lived in the loo [which meant I became very weak, and extremely poorly, losing lots of weight and it affected my eyes and teeth] and became virtually housebound for 2 years before having cognitive therapy to help me cope. This was in the days before it became public knowledge. Now it would be diagnosed much quicker - I hope! I still have the odd off day but at least I can go out as long as there is a loo en route and at the destination and I'm careful with what I eat. Having been very healthy all my life [which I think saved me] I have a 'reserved seat' at the hospital now for reviews on various bits of my anatomy which is a bit ironic in the circumstances!

johanna Mon 16-Jan-12 18:30:32

* Hello Goldengirl *
Thank you for your reply.
..." reviews on various bits of my anatomy...... etc "grin

JessM Mon 16-Jan-12 18:31:42

miserable goldengirl to put it mildly.