Gransnet forums

AIBU

Computers.

(39 Posts)
jeni Sat 14-Jan-12 16:16:51

Hell, blast, damnation, hellfire, s***t and b****r
My lap top has finally gone! I did NOT want to buy a new one this month as I spent far too much on holiday!
I suppose I'm going to have to go to apple tomorrow. But how the f* do I transfer data from old to new?
Don't any body mention backups as I don't do the . ( hang head in shame)
It's really only the pics as everything else is on the iPad.
Sorry folks,but I really am stamping my size 5foot. Forgive me please. I'm not normally like this, I do appologise.

jeni Fri 27-Jan-12 22:49:33

Somebody please tell me in simple language , how I get a photo from my macpro to gn profile. It's driving me even more crackers than I usually am! Perhaps it's all to do with being a 7ft blue nitrous oxide breather.

Jacey Fri 27-Jan-12 22:44:59

Oh Annobel ...I saw that programme as well ...please put your poem on the poetry thread ...I would love to read it sunshine ...as would many others smile

PoppaRob Fri 27-Jan-12 02:06:17

External hard drives are very cheap these days. All my photos and videos plus emails and important files live on both the PC and the external drive.

Hunt Wed 25-Jan-12 09:43:08

Blimey! I thought I was computer savvy but you lot leave me standing1

glammanana Tue 17-Jan-12 23:38:53

butternut don't be envy by the time you buy your's a new model will be out and everyone else's will be old new's.

Butternut Sun 15-Jan-12 21:01:35

envy

jeni Sun 15-Jan-12 19:50:48

Ok I'm convinced. Macpro it is. Go and get tomorrow morning.

Butternut Sun 15-Jan-12 19:28:33

Macpro - brilliant. Son has one. I'm holding out for one in 2013. Meanwhile making do with a steam computer.

Annobel Sun 15-Jan-12 16:29:39

Rare and beautiful. There was a TV programme that showed them in the Hindu Kush and they put a tracking collar on one to research her movements. I wrote a poem about it for my OU creative writing course. But this is not a thread for poetry.

jeni Sun 15-Jan-12 16:25:40

(bagitha confused they are very rare you know. Quick someone call the doctor to baggy, she's losing it!

bagitha Sun 15-Jan-12 16:17:42

Apparently my iMac uses a snow leopard rather than a lion. hmm

bagitha Sun 15-Jan-12 16:16:31

I do needle him sometimes, wink, but yes it's jolly useful having your own computer nerd expert inhouse.

jeni Sun 15-Jan-12 16:08:01

That should say NEED, not needle. And I haven't even had a vodka yet!

jeni Sun 15-Jan-12 16:03:54

bagitha do you really needle want your dh? If not can I have him please. He sounds useful! Thanks, macpro it is!

bagitha Sun 15-Jan-12 15:05:41

He says not quite as instant as an iPad but "pretty quick" because you don't need to "shut down" the computer, just shut the lid and it goes to sleep. He says the new ones will "have Lion" (the operating system, I believe!) so it will be "as you left it" even if you do go strange and shut it down rather than shut the lid. Got that? Good.

jeni Sun 15-Jan-12 13:19:53

bagitha just been looking at mac pro on web, seems good! Can I beg you to just ask dh does it start up instantly as doesl the air , or take ages like my tosh(did)?

bagitha Sun 15-Jan-12 13:11:39

My pleasure smile.

jeni Sun 15-Jan-12 13:06:08

Baggy grovelling thanks to your dh. That was exactly what I needed to hear. Please give him a great big hug as thanks from mr!

bagitha Sun 15-Jan-12 13:03:35

make that drives not dervishes.

bagitha Sun 15-Jan-12 13:03:20

He said a lot of other stuff as well about hard drvies and stuff but I can go back for that if you need it. wink

bagitha Sun 15-Jan-12 13:01:48

As it happens, he was available for comment sooner.

He said, since you have an iPad already for 'portability', he would recommend getting a Macbookpro because it has all that other stuff you mentioned built in. The macair would need plug-ins for the optical thingummyjig, etc.

He has a macbookpro so he does know what it does.

Hope that helps.

JessM Sun 15-Jan-12 13:00:17

Stop blooming putting yourself down! No generation has had to deal with as much change as ours and we keep on adapting.
Do you want an inbuilt camera that you can use to skype people (so they can see you)?
Do you want to download and watch films or play high quality graphic computer games? These are the kind of things that have driven design of laptops and desktops in the last few years.
And do you want to work on it? e.g. lots of typing or accounts.
If so are you happy working on a small laptop screen or would you be happier with a big screen?
If you want a laptop, how important is screen size and how important is the weight.
If you can come up with a little wish list that is the first step.
I can certainly ask DH any specific questions (and then cut his answer down to the gist...)

jeni Sun 15-Jan-12 12:56:55

bag puss very pretty please with marshmallows

bagitha Sun 15-Jan-12 12:55:33

Will ask DH later. He's a complete Apple geek.

jeni Sun 15-Jan-12 12:44:19

Decided not to go to mall today. Realised that if I wait a few days it will go onto next credit card bill which means I don't pay for it until April! Should be allrigt by then.
Also wonder if mac air is really the best or would I do better to go for macro as I have the iPad to carry aroun and I think the pro comes with an integral optical thingimmyjig.
Does any one out there understand this jargon? As a rather dimm elderly befuddled, bemused and gaga gran, I DO NOT!

HELP!!!