Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be annoyed with my daughter...

(34 Posts)
maxgran Mon 16-Jan-12 09:13:21

This weekend I took my daughter and her 4 children out to lunch. My granddaughter, who is 8 picked up the salt and sprinkled it all over her lunch - I was shocked my daughter did not stop her so I told my granddaughter that salt is bad for you and not to put any more on her lunch - My Grandson who is 4 then proceeded to do the same and I stopped him because he was pouring it on.
My daughter said it didn't matter - they can have salt if they want and she told them they don't have to listen to me,..they can have it if they want it !
She reckons they don't have salt at home ( I find hard to believe) so if they want it as a treat when they are out its ok !
We had a bit of an argument about it because I think its mad to allow them something that they do not need and which is positively harmful on top of the crisps and other salty foods they eat.
OK,.. so I shouldn't interfere,.. but at what point should a Grandmother say something if she thinks her daughter is being stupid ? :-(

kittylester Tue 17-Jan-12 10:29:46

I like cotton hankies and I too have rhinitis and would have used several rainforests over the years had I used tissues. I hate to see germ laden tissues in bins - someone has to move them - yuk! At least with a hankie the bugs are kept contained!

absentgrana Tue 17-Jan-12 10:47:31

Can you still buy nappy liners? They are disposable (obviously) but much gentler on the nose than tissues.

harrigran Tue 17-Jan-12 11:11:43

My DH and DS always use a cotton handkerchief. I have permanent rhinitis and use tissues because a cotton one would get soaked. I find that if I use a tissue with balm it is much kinder to the nose.

bagitha Tue 17-Jan-12 11:39:30

You can still buy nappy liners. DD1 used them for my GS. She had washable ones made of a fleecy sort of stuff.

absentgrana Tue 17-Jan-12 12:05:29

bagitha I always used nappy liners when I had a bad cold when absentdaughter was little, so nappy liners were always in stock. They really are soft on the nose.

bagitha Tue 17-Jan-12 12:11:11

Thanks for the tip, absent. I'll try and get some for when we need disposables. Part of me (the green freak bit) doesn't want to use anything disposable if a reusable option is available (and I take the view that anything which isn't killed by a hot wash and an iron deserves to live!) but they would be useful to have when DD has a cold as she tends to leave hankies lying about! Mind you, she has usually given me the cold too by then so it hardly matters. The wonders of viral life, eh?

Hunt Tue 17-Jan-12 12:48:34

to return to the salt question, I think the pendulum is swinging the other way as so often happens . If you are a healthy person apparently your body will take what salt it needs and get rid of the rest. My sister , who was very careful to keep her salt intake very low, finished up having fainting fits from salt deficiency!

maxgran Wed 18-Jan-12 08:46:59

Hunt,.. In Adults perhaps - but childrens bodies cannot deal with salt as efficiently as adults,.. Plus in adults with high blood pressure, salt is more dangerous.