Gransnet forums

AIBU

To want to shop my stepdaughter?

(104 Posts)
nannym Sun 22-Jan-12 07:46:29

I am really fighting to stop myself from contacting the benefits agency and reporting my stepdaughter for benefit fraud.For years now she has claimed every benefit available including job seekers allowance while working for cash in hand, plus housing benefit and single parent allowance while living with someone who was also working. This has always angered me but have kept quiet for the sake of DH. Now however she has turned on him and really upset him by being abusive when he finally asked her if she intended living on benefits all her life. am I wrong to want to hurt her as she has hurt him? Advice appreciated please.

Nanban Fri 16-Mar-12 22:03:04

There are millions of people out there struggling to get honestly through life without cheating, why should anyone feel guilty/responsible/to blame for those who cheat at their expense.

petallus Sat 17-Mar-12 08:11:28

Yes nanban I was thinking more of how I would go about it if I was going to inform. I think if it was a family member who was involved I'd warn them first of my intentions and then if this brought no change I would go ahead and inform openly. Since the issue here is partly one of honesty, I do feel I would rather be upfront about my intentions. I would feel dishonest if I informed secretly and then kept shtumm.

But that's just my personal standard for myself.

Nanban Sat 17-Mar-12 09:46:00

Hi Petallus - absolutely and completely right. If you feel you can do it the open and honest way that has got to be best - only you can gauge damage if you do, and damage if you don't.