Gransnet forums

AIBU

to think children should sleep in their own beds?

(28 Posts)
Annobel Wed 01-Feb-12 09:40:45

What is the rationale of co-sleeping? I don't think it did my sons any harm to sleep in their own beds right from the start. They grew up to be well-adjusted adults. What more could you ask?

bigburd Wed 01-Feb-12 09:09:19

Yeah northerngran I agree with u x BUT whenever my granddaughters stay over with me i cannot get them to sleep in their own beds because at home they usually sleep in their parents bed !!!They start off in their beds which is easy,however they NEVER stay in them,and as you are exhausted from the days activities with them u relent and let them stay!!!! Even though you know it is so wrong!!
I have vowed when grandchild number three arrives in June He is going to sleep in his own bed lolx

northerngran Wed 01-Feb-12 08:57:46

Among my daughter and her friends "co-sleeping" seems to be all the rage. I can understand that having a new-born close by is useful especially if you are breast feeding (though doesn't all the research show that it isn't safe to have a tiny baby in bed with adults?)

But as they get older surely there is no need for a child to sleep anywhere but their own bed? I can't understand why a happily married couple would want a small child in bed with them and surely it's a dangerous precedent to be setting? I love my DGD with all my heart but find having her to stay exhausting when she refuses to sleep anywhere but with me (a real wriggler) - and it's not just about being in a 'strange' bed as the same thing happens when I stay with them.