Gransnet forums

AIBU

I really want

(68 Posts)
bagitha Sat 04-Feb-12 16:18:09

a kimono style loose jacket made in a Kaffe Fassett design. It's expensive so I'd have to raid the piggy bank (drastically). I don't need it ("reason not the need; our basest beggars", etc). It's really me – style and colours. I don't spend any money on make-up or my hair and I have very few no 'posh' clothes. I would wear it a lot. Why can't I justify it to myself?

glassortwo Sat 04-Feb-12 16:29:19

Go on treat yourself baggy you deserve it wink think of it as an investment grin

Jacey Sat 04-Feb-12 16:29:46

I don't know why you can't justify it bagitha ...I love his designs.

Look at it as an investment in a piece of art? or as the ultimate 'me' moment?

Why do we seem to have this discussion with ourself when it comes to spending money on ourselves?? confused

Go for it!! You'll only keep thinking ..."if only I'd bought that jacket ...I could have worn now!" sunshine

lucid Sat 04-Feb-12 16:31:10

Go on..treat yourself...you know your worth it. And every woman should have at least one fabulous piece of clothing in her wardrobe (even if you only take it out to look at it). grin

Jacey Sat 04-Feb-12 16:31:30

There ...glassortwo and I posted within seconds of each other ...both using the term 'investment'!! smile

Carol Sat 04-Feb-12 16:33:33

Get it and enjoy it bags. You'll be bound to get good wear out of it if you want it that much. I can think of 'bargains' I have worn once, so it's worked out at £20 or £30 a wear, whereas this could work out at 30p a wear if it's one of your basics. Go on.....!

Ariadne Sat 04-Feb-12 16:34:06

Get it! Sometimes you just know something is right for you, and I also think, having come to know you, bagitha that you deserve it. Go on - for yourself. smile

glammanana Sat 04-Feb-12 16:39:16

Go for it bagitha even the most basic of your other pieces will look good with it and you will live to regret it if you don't,you will forever be thinking if only and it will be a classic for yrs to come and never date as his lines are fabulous. smile

shysal Sat 04-Feb-12 16:51:23

I love Kaffe Fassett's designs! I would pay top money for something like that as long as I was sure it suited me. Just think of it as an investment which you could sell if money became really tight.
I am trying to resist the temptation to now go on line to see what items are available by him.
Go for it bagitha, you deserve to treat yourself!thanks

nanachrissy Sat 04-Feb-12 16:56:12

Go for it Baggy, your family would surely be happy to see you have something beautiful for yourself, and you may never see one as nice again!
smile

Annobel Sat 04-Feb-12 17:04:48

You wouldn't even be thinking of buying it unless you were sure of getting good wear from it, would you? In that case, what's stopping you?

bagitha Sat 04-Feb-12 17:10:17

Right grin grin. I've ordered it! Thank you, ladies. Of course I can justify it! I'm still wearing good quality things that I've had for over twenty years. This will be like that.

I just needed someone to say Get it!

I'm skint now.

At our clan gathering in the summer everyone will gush and say how perfect!

bagitha Sat 04-Feb-12 17:10:58

Isn't gransnet nice? smile

jeni Sat 04-Feb-12 17:17:56

I can only find the yarns and I can't knit! Where did you find it?

Butternut Sat 04-Feb-12 17:20:03

bagitha - I know you've already done the tick-box in your head - but here it is again in case you're having a last minute wobble about buying it.....!! [wink}

Do you want it..........................Yes/No
Do you love it.............................Yes/No
Can you afford it.........................Yes/No
Will it 'see you out'.......................Yes/No
Is it you.................................Yes/No
Will it keep out the cold..............Yes/No
Does it make your heart sing.........Yes/No
Do the colours make you smile Yes/No
Will you wear it and wear it Yes/No
Will it hug you.............................Yes/No

That answers it then. Buy it !

Butternut Sat 04-Feb-12 17:25:41

Ah ha! You've already done the deed. Great. x

bagitha Sat 04-Feb-12 17:26:22

butty, smile.

jeni, I'll pm you because I'm still blush at the price!!!!!

gracesmum Sat 04-Feb-12 17:37:36

I operate on a "cost per wear" and have some cheepos which have worked out VERY expensive (usually sales disasters) and other expensive items that I wear time after time after time - thus justifying the intial investment. If it truly lovely why on earth hold back - life is too short to have serious regrets.
(PS if and when you do buy it, post a picture so that we can appreciate it!)

artygran Sat 04-Feb-12 17:39:44

Go ahead and buy it - don't think about it, just do it. I wish we had done this some years ago when we saw a painting in a gallery in Wales. We had the money, and my husband said that he thought we should buy it, but at the time, he was not working, having been made redundant a few months earlier and I did not think we could justify the outlay. The gallery owner even said we could pay for it over a period, but I still said no. I have regretted it ever since. DH went on to get another job not long after and by that time, the painting had gone. Beautiful things enhance your life. "If thou of fortune art bereft, and of thine earthly store have left two loaves, sell one and with the dole, buy hyacinths to feed thy soul"! Feed your soul, Baggy!

MrsJamJam Sat 04-Feb-12 17:41:14

So glad to see you have ordered it. Cost per wear will make it a wonderful investment and it will make you feel wonderful.

Oldgreymare Sat 04-Feb-12 18:07:39

Bagitha it sounds lovely and will wow the islanders this summer. Do we get to see a picture?

jeni Sat 04-Feb-12 18:21:01

Baggy what a lovely site and they had a sale on! I've just ordered a load. I think I've spent as much as you. That top woll really suit you. Thanks.

apricot Sat 04-Feb-12 18:47:47

If you hadn't spent the money on a beautiful jacket it would have gone on potatoes, carrots, loo rolls, washing powder, cat food, Elastoplast, birthday cards, stamps, shampoo, milk, crisps, fish fingers, gas, council tax, VAT, petrol, etc etc. Boring stuff.
If offered £X-worth of boring stuff OR that jacket, you know which you'd take.

jeni Sat 04-Feb-12 18:53:07

Arty gran. That's why I now have 3philip greys and a Ruskin.

Butternut Sat 04-Feb-12 19:04:52

The things I have walked away from because I felt I couldn't afford it are few and far between, but I remember every single one to this day, and wish I had bought them. All sculptures, ceramics or paintings.

You can't beat things that feed the soul. smile