Gransnet forums

AIBU

The Queen overdressed.

(36 Posts)
Charlotta Tue 07-Feb-12 10:05:42

AIBU to think that the Queen was overdressed to visit a primary school? When you think of the dressmakers and money at her disposal, she could have been given something more flattering to an 85 year old .

GoldenGran Fri 10-Feb-12 12:36:01

She dresses better than the three 85 year olds I know! Mind she probably has slightly more to spend! I think she looks great, she smiles more now, and has beautiful skin.

FlicketyB Fri 10-Feb-12 08:44:17

The Queen is 85 with a 90 year old husband. Like many people of her age she dresses in a way that looks old fashioned to younger people (and that probably includes most of us). And bear in find that Monday was FREEZING cold and she was walking around inside and outside. At her age keeping warm is essential so she wore a warm coat and hat.

We already have a thread on what Gransnetters are wearing in this weather to keep warm. Most of them very practical but probably not what we would wear to a formal event so we can hardly blame the Queen for choosing a smarter option

Anne58 Wed 08-Feb-12 19:58:03

Oooh err! I don't think it was quite like that!

Annobel Wed 08-Feb-12 19:27:47

Yes, well, he evidently had a penchant for married women!

Anne58 Wed 08-Feb-12 18:49:59

JessM he started it!

JessM Wed 08-Feb-12 18:38:33

Phpenix. That is a claim to fame! You flirted with Charles!!! And you were a married woman!!!
The are all very petite aren't they. I remember seeing Andrew, who looks in photos like a burly chap and he was just a little chap.
Diana introduced a few tall genes.
I always think Anne looks like the most normal of the older set. Very relaxed when she is talking in sporting contexts.

Anne58 Wed 08-Feb-12 18:31:58

Ex dh and I lived in Windsor Castle when he was working there, went to the staff ball, I saw HM close up, also in attendance was Charles, Anne and her then husband Mark (code name within the castle "Fog") Ex DH had a very short private meeting with her, when receiving his Christmas present, but had a longer chat with Prince Philip over the state coach used for the Silver Jubilee.

BUT, I had a conversation with Prince Charles at the ball that could almost be described as mildly flirtatious! (It was December 1976, I was all of 18, yes got married at that age!)

em Tue 07-Feb-12 22:35:28

I had lunch with HM too - along with 100 others - when she opened a new university library. Dress code said hats so pulled out the outfit from nephew's wedding!

harrigran Tue 07-Feb-12 22:09:08

shysal I wore a suit and a hat of course. Thankfully I was about three stone lighter then so looked quite smart.

shysal Tue 07-Feb-12 15:42:13

harrigan. Lunch with the Queen - my word! What did you wear?. envy

JessM Tue 07-Feb-12 15:18:42

Yes quite Annobel . It was part of a long tradition of fixing up princes and princesses with a suitable marriage partner. Think of what happened with Charles...
I think LM's part in the total bloodbath that surrounded the partition of India would be just one thing we could find fault with.
I am not a conspiracy theorist. I only have the one. It relates to the British security forces who were well embedded with the IRA in the 70s.

numberplease Tue 07-Feb-12 14:52:00

Earl Mountbatten was a lovely man, never in a month of Sundays would I call him "sinister".

whatisamashedupphrase Tue 07-Feb-12 14:44:45

Yu can't find any fault with Lord Mountbatten. So sad when the wretched IRA murdered him, and the young people on that boat. sad

whatisamashedupphrase Tue 07-Feb-12 14:40:12

She still loves him! And he her! smile

Annobel Tue 07-Feb-12 14:37:53

Most girls of that age have a crush on some older guy. They (guys) don't always encourage it. Nowadays that would be called 'grooming'.

JessM Tue 07-Feb-12 13:55:52

mmm right. quite.
He was 18 and she was still a child of 12 or 13 when he started writing to her (according to wikip).
Now why would he get an idea like that in his head...

whatisamashedupphrase Tue 07-Feb-12 13:39:01

Jess, do you mean the Queen and Prince Phillip? It's a known fact that she fell in love with him when she first set eyes on him at the age of thirteen! She was determined to marry him.

JessM Tue 07-Feb-12 13:30:09

I feel sorry for her because she was manoeuvred into her marriage by the very sinister Mountbatten who wanted to be in a position of power after he was made redundant from that Viceroy gig. She was a sweet innocent young girl and i think she had a rough ride. One of the sunday papers once had a page of photos of her - one a year. (may have been her last jubilee) You could see the early happiness evaporate. I suspect they get on Ok now though.

johanna Tue 07-Feb-12 13:23:59

During Ronald and Nancy Reagan's visit to England, our press kept harping on about the fact that the Queen looked frumpish compared to Nancy Reagan.

Well, I thought that Nancy looked like a housewife in an Designer dress, and the
Queen looked like.................The Queen!

glammanana Tue 07-Feb-12 13:10:36

It was another outfit that The Queen had worn before on a State visit so well done to her,she always looks good and is an inspiration to her age.The little boy who did the dramatic bow will remember that moment for the rest of his life,what a story to tell your children when he is older.

absentgrana Tue 07-Feb-12 12:58:22

When King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (the late Queen Mother) visited Canada shortly after his coronation, they travelled right across the country by train. The Queen insisted that she should be woken during the night when they were approaching towns or even villages. She would then park herself at a window in her dressing gown wearing a crown because she reckoned if people could be bothered to gather at the rail side in the hope of seeing the King and Queen, she might just as well look the part.

jeni Tue 07-Feb-12 12:54:43

I don't like the last few hats she has worn. They all look like a stovepipe with a feather in front , the same colour as her coat! They all look identical!

Hunt Tue 07-Feb-12 12:05:32

Children do like to see a Queen looking like one. They must have loved the sparkles. There was just a glimpse of the little girl in red doing a curtsey , could have done with a bit more of that. I used to conduct Infant Music Festivals and always tried to look a bit flamboyant. Who wants a visitor who looks like your Mum or your teacher?

absentgrana Tue 07-Feb-12 11:58:09

When Princess Margaret visited my school in the 1960s, the little ones in the Preparatory School who had been practising their curtseys for weeks – they called it "doing the Princess Margaret" – were dreadfully disappointed. I think they must have expected a long sparkling gown and a shiny crown, possibly even a gold coach. A patently bored woman in a dark suit just didn't cut the mustard.

harrigran Tue 07-Feb-12 11:50:09

Hear, hear whatis kids love Queens and Princesses. I still talk about the day I saw the Queen, when I was seven, even though I have had lunch with her as an adult.