Gransnet forums

AIBU

The cost of child care

(28 Posts)
Gmajen Wed 08-Feb-12 09:12:09

I have been listening to radio 4 this morning and the cost of childcare was being discussed. My grandchildren are all grown up and so I am out of the loop in these matters. Several mothers interviewed explained that the greater part of their salary went on childcare. When asked whether it was worth them working they all replied that it was necessary for them - whether for career prospects or for their own self esteem. It did seem as though most felt that actually bringing up the children was not their primary concern. The care and wellbeing of the children was a job for other people for which the parents will gladly pay. There was of course no doubt about the love they felt for their family. Have things really changed so much? I am very aware that Grandparents have become a very important part of the child care community and would love to hear your comments please

Gmajen Mon 13-Feb-12 12:53:02

How fascinating this discussion has become. The posts are from so many different perspectives that I feel I have learned a great deal. I am an older Gran who stayed at home to bring up the family. My view was broadened by my own children as they brought up their own families in different ways but the input of so many of you in the here and now and especially the input by Redblue has really given me pause for thought. It is so easy to make judgements about society generally without really thinking things through. Thank you. gransnetters, for making my first foray into the site so rewarding

Ariadne Mon 13-Feb-12 13:17:40

gmajen smile