Gransnet forums

AIBU

to say I can't manage two babies for the night?

(53 Posts)
gracesmum Sat 11-Feb-12 21:11:22

SIL will be 40 in March and DD and he have arranged a big party for "their" generation on Sat night followed by a family lunch on the Sunday. I was asked if we could have the boys (21 mths and 3 mths) on Saturday afternoon and night and then drive them to DD and SIL (1 1/2 hrs) on Sunday when we go for lunch. At first I said Yes, under the impression we would have one boy and the other GPs the other, but no, it was both.
As DH has poor health and is due to have a relatively minor op on the Wednesday before I said I wasn't sure about having them both as I couldn't be sure DH would be able to help much if e.g. both needed attention in the night.I felt awful about it as the other GPs who are older than us, but both incredibly energetic and fit, are quite happy to do it (athough like me, dreading the responsibility of the drive!!).That is not to say we would not like to have them both any other time, but I just couldn't face a possibly sleepless night followed by 2x 75 mile drives the next day (DH isn't driving at present) As it has turned out DH is in hospital with a heart infection and for all I know may be transferred to London next week so everything is up in the air. But I still feel a failure!! I KNOW I looked after our own 2 then 3 singlehanded lots of the time, I love looking after my grandsons, but I was younger then and GC are much more responsibility than your own! Am I just frustrated because I am not Supergran? Or am I just worrying aobut nothing?

apricot Mon 20-Feb-12 19:56:40

Two babies together sounds awful unless you're very used to them.
Looking after other peoples' children is always a scary responsibility until you get to know them well and are confident of coping.
If you have babies should you expect to go partying and leave them for so long to someone else? I think most grandparents would say no.

JessM Mon 20-Feb-12 20:03:49

Well you could view MIL as high maintenance in that we support her financially, and between us look after her, now she can't look after herself. But she is not difficult or grumpy, bless her.