Gransnet forums

AIBU

arachnophobes everywhere

(64 Posts)
Nanban Tue 14-Feb-12 14:33:43

My Valentines gift - a voucher for hypnotherapy to cure my lifelong phobia that send me into screaming hysterics when A Spider is spotted!

numberplease Tue 03-Apr-12 17:19:26

So was my comment Anagram!

GillieB Tue 03-Apr-12 18:28:15

Big black hairy spiders are my downfall. I can cope with the little ones and most other insects, but go rigid with fright with the black hairy ones. I have two ways of coping: 1. call my husband who has to carefully catch said big black hairy spider and put it outside, or 2. no husband around, so a big thick book!

yogagran Tue 03-Apr-12 18:56:53

My DH calls me to deal with spiders. I often pretend to catch them and put them out of the window but if it's cold or wet.... Poor things, they need somewhere to call home and don't do any harm!

Nanban Wed 04-Apr-12 19:20:17

aha Notsogrand - I have actually stuck the vacuum hose into the gravel drive on the assumption that the gravel would bash the spider and kill it so that it wouldn't climb back out! Is it any wonder the poor hypnotherapist didn't work BUT I will go back and have another try.

jeni Wed 04-Apr-12 19:47:05

Big British one under my dining room table yesterday glaring at me menacingly! Just out of my reach!

jeni Wed 04-Apr-12 19:47:38

I typed brutish! Not British!

Anagram Wed 04-Apr-12 19:51:17

grin
I wondered how you could tell, jeni!

jeni Wed 04-Apr-12 19:59:17

What? The difference between brutish and British?
To quote the earthy Eartha 'an Englishman needs time!' grin

Anagram Wed 04-Apr-12 20:01:08

Well....no, I actually meant how you knew it was British, e.g. was it wearing a Union Jack vest, but I'm sure it was very brutish anyway!

harrigran Wed 04-Apr-12 20:10:37

I bet it was wearing something with a union jack on it ready for the olympics, it was probably a fly-weight boxer grin

jeni Wed 04-Apr-12 20:14:27

Ouch!

jeni Wed 04-Apr-12 20:55:03

I'm afraid spiders are a no-no, patriotic flag or not!

Mishap Wed 04-Apr-12 22:39:25

My D is spider phobic. When she was younger, visitors would come and would hear frantic screaming from upstairs and could not understand why we were unmoved. "Is someone ill?" they would ask - "No, just D confronting a spider." She is much braver now that she is trying hard not to pass the phobia on to her children.

Nanban Fri 06-Apr-12 08:24:54

Jeni - you should have stuck the vacuum under the table, and Mishap - me too, I tried very hard not to pass on my phobia but I think it's genetic! My son sends the girlfriend in to deal with them.

petallus Fri 06-Apr-12 10:09:08

Last week someone who came to paint our doors told me he had a pet tarantula. Yesterday an engineer who came to fix my cooker said he had two pet tarantulas. This might be a trend.

supernana Fri 06-Apr-12 12:42:16

petallus How on earth can anyone call a T***** a pet? The very word sends shivers down my spine shock

jeni Fri 06-Apr-12 12:50:31

nanban I can't even plug the vacuum in, let alone know how to work it! In some ways I wish I had a modern house with higher sockets that I could reach!

petallus Fri 06-Apr-12 13:43:09

The door painter showed me a pic of his tarantula perched on his open palm. It almost covered the palm. He explained that people are scared of spiders because they suddenly dart about but tarantulas don't do that, they just plod slowly towards you.

Nanban Fri 06-Apr-12 20:18:35

My sister's husband - great big bloke with matching ego - is terrified of spiders. Staying at their son's while he was on holiday they had instructions not to remove the brick holding one of the spiders' lids down because of its lid-lifting ability! Husband while setting up his workmate next morning, was transfixed by a huge spider attached to the underneath - when he stopped screaming he noticed wife with tears of laughter streaming - it was she who had stuck the plastic version in place for him to find. Apparently it was some weeks before he called her anything but 'cow'!

yogagran Fri 06-Apr-12 20:45:15

No idea whether this is true or not but I was told that it you were holding a Tarantula and it fell off your hand onto the floor it would burst like a over ripe tomato [yuk emoticom]

Wheniwasyourage Fri 06-Apr-12 21:41:20

I have a spider pot - think it had mixed peel in it, but anyway, it's transparent. If you put it over the spider and slide a bit of card underneath it you can take it outside and dump it without wondering if it's come out at the side and crawled up your arm, because you can see it ALL THE TIME!! For ones that are too high to reach, I try to persuade myself that they are living fly paper without the chemicals, and that helps, most of the time - also means I can feel positive about not getting rid of cobwebs.

petallus Sun 08-Apr-12 21:24:25

I use the transparent pot and postcard method too.

nanaej Sun 08-Apr-12 21:37:49

As I read this thread spider who lives in the room ran across the floor and under the chair opposite me. It looked a bit worried ..think it knows i am reading of ways to get rid of him/her!

Nanban Mon 09-Apr-12 20:50:47

I so hope it was right to be worried and now is no more!

jeni Mon 09-Apr-12 21:02:21

Dead deceased no more polly gone?