Gransnet forums

AIBU

arachnophobes everywhere

(64 Posts)
Nanban Tue 14-Feb-12 14:33:43

My Valentines gift - a voucher for hypnotherapy to cure my lifelong phobia that send me into screaming hysterics when A Spider is spotted!

Anne58 Mon 09-Apr-12 21:35:50

Does anyone remember a cartoon type thing called "Spider"? It was music based, (I''m probably not explaining this very well!) and absolutely enchanting!

It was all songs rather than speech, a lot of 12 string guitar, songs included "Spider in the bath", "Hedgehog Hunt", and others! I seem to remember that we had it on video (pre DVD) when Jack was small.

Please, someone else tell me that they remembered and liked this!

nuttynorah Mon 09-Apr-12 22:20:00

I'm only scary cos I'm hairy!
You can see some episodes on Youtube.

GrandmaH Tue 10-Apr-12 14:14:39

Try NLP- Neuro Linguistic Programming. A few years ago I went to a Yoga workshop weekend in Kent with DIL. The person leading it was also an NLP practitioner & at the end of one evening - when it was too early to go to bed -she did a phobia curing exercise on one of the other women there who was terrified of wasps following a horrific event in her early life. I just sat & listened-it was fascinating. At the end the leader of the group just threw in as an afterthought that some of us may find our phobias gone as well.
I never gave it another thought until a few weeks later when there was one of THEM in the bath & I calmly picked it up & genty put it out of the window.
Now I was absolutely terrified of spiders all my life- a really extreme case. I have no fear at all now-I cannot explain it but I went to some other courses with the same women & saw people cured of a variety of phobias. I did another one for fear of being out of my depth in water & that worked too.
It is quite amazing & usually only takes one session.
Might be worth a try.

Nanban Thu 12-Apr-12 08:15:13

That's a new one on us country types! They've only just caught up with hypnotherapy here.

jeni Fri 13-Apr-12 00:16:01

Hypnotherapy is good! If carried out by qualified people. If they are doing it without individual support on a one to one basis it can be dangerous!
Mass hypnosis is not good unless in a training situation
with plenty of trained counselers there!

I knowf what I am talking about!
I am a trained medical hypnotherapist.

gracesmum Fri 13-Apr-12 13:52:00

Have you tried hypnotising the spiders?
I also use the clear plastic tumbler and card method or if it is really scary, you use a broom, squish the spider into the bristles from the other end of the handle of course, take it outside and bang on the ground. If you are not sure the spider has run out, leave aforementioned broom outside for a few days/weeks/months and buy another one.

Nanban Fri 13-Apr-12 15:16:09

Jeni - my hypnotherapist has every credential possible - her problem, was me!

jeni Fri 13-Apr-12 15:53:27

Not all people are willing consciously or unconsciousally to submit to hypnosis!
Unlike popular belief you can't be hypnotised against your will!

Nanban Fri 13-Apr-12 21:11:38

Completely right - apart from popular belief - perhaps that too is a myth and popular thought is far too wise.

jeni Fri 13-Apr-12 21:22:30

graces mum no! But I can hypnotise a rabbit?

Mishap Fri 13-Apr-12 21:59:26

Reminds me of a joke about hypnosis - showman is demonstrating it to a full auditorium by swinging a watch chain in front of them all, saying "You are under my spell; you will do anything that I say." At that moment the watch caught on his sleeve and the showman said "Oh f***!"

Seriously though folks - hypnosis is a good therapeutic tool.

jeni Fri 13-Apr-12 22:10:00

grin

Nanban Sat 14-Apr-12 08:17:30

Going off at a tangent - that'll be age of course - the Rat Man came to check on progress under the garden shed and found one corpse which made him very happy, and we all went for a cup of tea and a biscuit. By the time he went we had heard all about local infestations of bed bugs, cockroaches and the like. There's a career path you don't hear too much about in school.