Gransnet forums

AIBU

Can i pleaseee post this here?

(109 Posts)
NannySam Thu 16-Feb-12 19:02:48

I went 'private' when i found a breast lump ..painful mid November..went to to see if it was or was not...cancer..
I had a'jiggly' fine needle aspiration...and a scan...
I was told by consultant i did not have cancer! Hoorah says i.....but i WAS told to see NHS for a fibroadinoea (sp) a long standing..one...anyways i was sent a month later...got the flu ..had to cancel...but hey it wasnt urgent was it? so i wait for another app. nothing....i find another lump....doctor cant find it but sends me to Breast clinic....so we are now 3 months further on....i attend to see consultant...3 lumps now...and she says without hubby in the room....oh it feels like a slow growing cancer to me! i want 3 biopsies and a scan done....i went home in TOTAL shock and am waiting to be seen next week by another consultant...we are now in reicept of 'private' doctors letter...and i was told he lied to us....
Any advice welcome...thank you.

Pennysue Fri 17-Feb-12 22:21:32

I cannot believe that a doctor would tell you that you had breast cancer by feeling the lump. They cannot tell for certain until they have done the aspiration and looked at the cells under a microscope.

That certainly never happened in my case.

I had BUPA cover at the time and all my treatment was carried out under BUPA cover in National Health facilities (apart from the surgery which was in a private hospital) It just meant I always saw the same doctor and oncologist throughout and BUPA paid the fees direct to the hospital.

NannySam Fri 17-Feb-12 23:08:23

Yes please.... phoenix and bagitha what do you mean? do you think i am a troll or fraud....pennysue doesnt seem to believe me...i was duckysnan and JessM ..replied to me in that name about my fibroadenoma...some time ago and i asked Dr. Chris Steele...so i am quite genuine....
pennysue it must have been quite a different experience for you! you where luckier than me!

NannySam Fri 17-Feb-12 23:12:02

I had a FNA privately...i thought i had already explained...So i HAD been tested and told ok...in November....to pennysue...do you think i am a liar then? i do not need this...i will go back to my forum breastcancer.org the ladies there understand me well!

NannySam Fri 17-Feb-12 23:13:45

pennysue....READ my OP from the beginning BEFORE jumping on me!

em Fri 17-Feb-12 23:25:38

NannySam Please don't be distressed by any remarks here. I'm not sure what the 'only me ' remarks meant and clearly Jeni our pet retired GP felt the same.

Carol Fri 17-Feb-12 23:46:36

I remember your posts about the fibroadenoma and the reply - can't remember whether it was Chris Steele or Miriam Stoppard. I thought I recognised you when you described the posts from that time.

Carol Fri 17-Feb-12 23:56:23

Yes, I just searched and there you are talking to Miriam Stoppard as Ducksynan. She explained to you that it is called a fibroadenoma and offered you some advice.

NannySam Sat 18-Feb-12 00:08:31

Duckysnan was...proof of who i am..
This story of mine is about the OTHER breast.... i have TWO of them....
Surely i do not need to prove i am speaking the truth....i give up! i am so sad and angry.....at least in the real world i am believed ..thank goodness!

NannySam Sat 18-Feb-12 00:10:23

I shall delete the board...i have noticed in the past that some posters are like acid....

Pennysue Sat 18-Feb-12 05:55:54

I was referring to the fact that a Doctor said in your presence "oh it feels like a slow growing cancer to me! i want 3 biopsies and a scan done...." Until such time as it has been confirmed no such statement should have been made.

JessM Sat 18-Feb-12 06:57:43

Nannysam there is a lot of difference between someone saying "I don't believe" and "I cant believe"
My interpretation of "I can't believe" is "That's very surprising" or even "That person shouldn't have said that "
So i don't think Pennysue was questioning your account of what happened.
The written word is hard to interpret sometimes because you don't have the body language to go with it.
At the moment your mind is whirling. I don't think anyone is trying to give offence or doubting that you are in the middle of a crisis.
I hope that you will have your appointment for biopsies very soon and that at least then you will not be in this state of uncertainty.

bagitha Sat 18-Feb-12 07:43:49

I've just re-read the OP. The phrase "I was told he lied to us" worries me. Some later remarks suggest that the person who said this (if I've followed correctly) 'had a problem' with the person allegedly accused of lying. It just strikes me as not very professional. I've come across plenty of wrong diagnoses and plenty of 'haven't a clue' no-diagnoses, plenty of bet-hedging (could be this, could be that), but why would a consultant actually lie to a patient? To what end?

Something else that is puzzling me is how you managed to forget that antibiotics were mentioned even though you were still in "great pain". Great pain is not something I can just 'forget'. I'm not suggesting you are lying; I'm just very puzzled by your story. I realise you are very upset right now and perhaps that is sufficient explanation.

Good luck with the biopsies.

Greatnan Sat 18-Feb-12 08:03:47

I don't know how many other members have experience of suing a surgeon for medical negligence. My daughter had a gastric band fitted in a BUPA hospital. The surgeon did not visit her post-operatively and when she asked where he was she was told he had gone a course about gastric banding!
She was obviously very ill, with fever, rigours, great pain, and hallucinations. She was told for six days that she had a chest infection and she must have gone in with it. So why operate? She could not afford to stay in the private hospital and went to stay with her sister as she was too ill to look after herself. She went back to the BUPA hospital after a week to see a physio, who took one look at her and called a taxi to take her and her 14 year old daughter to the nearest NHS hospital. She was diagnosed with abscesses which they tried to drain for a week. The consultant who was shown on her records as being in charge of her case was the one who had done the operation. We found out later that he was successfully sued by a dozen women.
Three weeks after the original operation she began bleeding internally - unfortunately on a Friday evening. Junior doctors rushed around trying to get a line in and achieving nothing but giving her pain. Finally, a young woman anaesthetist (a Kiwi) came and immediately had her rushed to surgery. Her exact words were 'Where is the f*ucking surgeon?'
She was in surgery for three hours -I was told (cheerfully) that the outlook was very poor. After the surgery, I had to wait all night to see if her organs would fail. She was in intensive care for a week and in a general ward, without barrier nursing, for two more weeks. Her wound became infected - later a huge incisional hernia developed.
The surgeon who repaired her stomach was the one who had carried out the original surgery - he was nearing retirement and was obviously doing as much private work as he could. His report said he did not find any evidence that the band had not been properly fitted.
He finally admitted liability after 17 months and it took another six years for the Medical Defence Union to settle the case. The surgeon told numerous lies and the NHS hospital caused long delays in supplying records. These delays vastly worsened my daughter's medical and financial condition. We felt that there was a closing of ranks, as he was a consultant in that hospital.
We were finally informed by the GMC solicitor that he had asked for voluntary deregistration as he did not want his own medical condition made public (but I have been told by a retired GP that this is not possible).
The moral of this sad story is 1: do not assume that you will get better treatment in a private hospital and 2: be prepared for a long, hostile battle with the MDU.
Yes, I know most health professionals are dedicated, hard working and truthful, but Private Eye did a supplement about what happens to whistle-blowers and it made worrying reading.

Carol Sat 18-Feb-12 08:22:47

Greatnan you are describing what quite a few of us have experienced. I don't want to encroach on NannySam's need for support on here, but my heart went out to her when she started this thread. I lost a kidney as a result of an NHS consultant's inaction over the course of a couple of years, and when I became dangerously ill his back-peddling gymnastics were criticised in front of me by the surgeon who saved my life and commented that my files were being thoroughly recorded in case I wanted to take further action when I got well. The whole thing was so traumatic I decided I would not re-live it again in some solicitor's office, and I know of a few people who have made that same decision. I moved away across the county to ensure I never went in that hospital again.

Nannysam I hope you are feeling ok this morning. The sense of your panic about this latest problem is obvious, and you do need to look after yourself x

bikergran Sat 18-Feb-12 08:34:00

NannySam I hope you are given the answers to your questions by a confident and experienced health person...take care...

Stansgran Sat 18-Feb-12 16:46:46

Best of luck[ nannysam] but always remember that what is said and what is heard are rarely the same for different people. Even if you had two friends in the consulting room with you it's like witnesses to a burglary

jeni Sat 18-Feb-12 17:53:11

Pet ex gp?
Believe me I am no pet. In fact at 5 7and 13 5 1/2 (down 1 1/2 pounds) and my crutches (with or without fairy lights) I am considered to be formidable!

Actually I'm a meek little pussy cat.

JessM Sat 18-Feb-12 18:01:23

Yes I am sure you are jeni hmm

JessM Sat 18-Feb-12 18:01:59

i mean pussy cat. until you get your claws out maybe?

jeni Sat 18-Feb-12 18:07:06

I'll think about it while I nuke my sphaggetti and meat balls. Weight watchers of course. 9 pro points wink

johanna Sat 18-Feb-12 19:15:34

Although it is obvious that Nannysam is very stressed I have to agree with Bagitha, Pennysue and Phoenix. It is a very confused post indeed.

However Bagitha asks : " Why would a consultant lie to a patient, to what end?"
May be the guy is a mysoginist. Not being flippant here.

We do not know why.
Same as we do not know why the nurse Beverly Allit murdered so may patients.
There have been more similar cases like this recently.

What we should realise is not to have this old fashioned blind faith in people just because they took the Hippocratic Oath.

jeni Sat 18-Feb-12 20:07:25

Don't take the hippocratic oath these days folks! I signed the declaration of geneva instead and that was voluntary!

Elegran Sat 18-Feb-12 20:09:41

I suspect he missed the diagnosis, not deliberately lied about it - he could have had another customer so why lie?

If antibiotics are helping then it does not sound like a cancer, but perhaps the bigger lump is an infection and the peas are tiny tumours. If so,they may have been undetectable earlier when the first consultant investigated.

jeni Sat 18-Feb-12 20:14:30

elegrani suspect you have hit the nail on the head. Should someone chase her over to her other website and explain she's got us wrong?

em Sat 18-Feb-12 21:16:48

Jeni by pet gp I simply meant that you are one of us and we are beginning to rely on you in matters medical. You strike me as one who kept the humanity in medicine and were pretty honest and upfront. I suppose in a way it was meant as a compliment - so I'm sorry if it came out wrong!
Carol your post hit home as I am currently worried sick about my daughter's kidney/urinary problems. They've gone on for months and she is currently in hospital for investigation (at last). She's had scans of the kidneys and bladder, an MRI scan and on Monday is scheduled for a CTscan. I just don't know what to expect but, like you, it has gone on for so long as is still not diagnosed.
I feel for NannySam as I detect a slight element of panic in her posts. She may well have misunderstood or even misheard what was said but I do feel she is at the end of her tether and is not taking well what she sees as a lack of sympathy or belief on our part.