Gransnet forums

AIBU

Athletes dress code

(12 Posts)
tanith Sat 18-Feb-12 14:50:55

I've been watching live athletics from Birmingham with OH and is it only me that thinks the outfits that women athletes choose to wear while participating are unnecessarily skimpy? Now ok I get that they need freedom of movement of arms/shoulders so the cut away tops fine, but why do they need to be like sports bras cut off below the bust? and why do they wear such skimpy bottoms some of them would be more at home on the beach.
Those girls that wear bottoms that look more like shorts , ok be it tight shorts, look so much more focused like they are there to compete rather than show off their @rses.. sorry but some of them are positively indecent when jumping , stretching or bending shock. I find myself distracted from the event by watching whose the most on show.. the men seem much more suitably attired (mores the pity grin) sorry thats very sexist isn't it? only joking.

I just find it a bit like who can show off the belly button or butt tattoo the most... its probably just me getting old and unreasonable..

tanith Sat 18-Feb-12 14:58:58

That should read belly ring grin

Stansgran Sat 18-Feb-12 16:34:15

It's the chains and earrings etc i can't stand-oh for an old but fierce gym mistress-sort them all out and perhaps we might win.....

glammanana Sat 18-Feb-12 17:23:34

Bring back bottle green gym nickers I say grin

JessM Sat 18-Feb-12 17:27:52

It's fashion. Not much different to what girls wear to go out clubbing.
How do you feel about the men in their lycra shorts?
We do win! A gold in the Hepthlon in Sydney, and maybe one in the same event this year.
Even the lovely Phillips Odowu, even with his pierced tongue and all has been known to win. World champion... Olympic silver. not bad so far.

Learnergran Sat 18-Feb-12 17:27:54

In one school I went to (mercifully not for long) the gym knickers were dark brown

tanith Sat 18-Feb-12 17:28:18

Ours were navy blue glammanana grin

glammanana Sat 18-Feb-12 17:35:06

tanith did you have a little pocket in yours,I did and used to keep chewing gum wrapped up in sweet paper in it.grin I had to remember to take it out before mum did the washing though.hmm

glammanana Sat 18-Feb-12 17:41:25

Seriously though I think that what the athletes wear is very technical now as the amount of clothes they wear can affect their performance times and to save a split second could be the win or loose of a medal this is according to my DGS1 who has just said "I know these things nana" so I have been told !!

tanith Sat 18-Feb-12 17:54:38

Well that's fair comment if it makes a difference to their times.. and yes I did have a tiny hidden pocket in the top of my gym knickers, I don't think I actually kept anything that I can remember but then again I can't remember something I wore yesterday never mind 50 yrs ago..wink

Referring to Stansgran's comment I do think the chains would be distracting as wel,l especially when they swing too and fro and threaten to hit you in eye...

JessM Sat 18-Feb-12 17:59:07

Long hair in athletes now - there are a couple of notable examples and they are all in middle distance runners. Suspect a tactic for taking up just a teeny bit more personal space in some of those jostling races.

petallus Mon 20-Feb-12 07:57:12

I remember reading somewhere that women tennis players have to wear titillating clothes to play in because their (financial) sponsors insist that they do.