Gransnet forums

AIBU

to wonder.....

(33 Posts)
Granb Mon 27-Feb-12 12:51:06

....why people who walk their dogs find it acceptable to leave their little bags hung on branches. Where do they think they are going to go? Do they think someone will come along and pick them up? angry

On my walk this morning I counted five bags and I know (being the type of person I am) I will see if I can spot more tomorrow!

Is it just me or do others also think it is more disgusting than not picking up at all?

yogagran Wed 29-Feb-12 10:16:49

gma grin

Annobel Wed 29-Feb-12 10:31:25

Once, when my sons were little, I took them to the local playground. But some other child had been down the slide with dog s..t on his/her shoes and it got all over the boys' trousers and jackets. Yuk. However, I do think that things have improved since then with the provision of poop bins and plenty of publicity about the penalties for dog fouling. When I was canvassing in my own campaign for the Council, a resident told me that he had counted the number of piles of dog muck between his house and the bus stop - I think it was 22! Eight years later when I decided to end my political career, I had a look around and found no evidence of dog fouling in the same area. There had been a number of well publicised campaigns both locally and nationally. That same month I had a weekend in Paris and found the streets of Montmartre utterly disgusting, not to mention smelly! Anyone know the French for poop-scoop?

Carol Wed 29-Feb-12 10:39:06

It might be poupe scoop Annobel x

Stansgran Wed 29-Feb-12 11:18:01

Try Geneva- the streets are foul-all these women elegantly dressed made up to the nines with their dear little dog under their arm-an expensive accessory and far too elegant to pick up poo.
Whereas New York I've seen fingermarks through loose dog faeces which still makes me want to heave but I am full of admiration at their fear of a fine or more likely public opprobrium(sorry if anyone is on a coffee break)

apricot Wed 29-Feb-12 19:19:26

We have notices on all the lamp-posts saying £1000 fine if you fail to clear up. With that the council has fulfilled all its responsibility. There are no litter bins except in the town centre and Ive never heard of a single person being fined.
(Likewise they put up signs saying Road subject to ice and gave up gritting)

JessM Wed 29-Feb-12 20:23:17

mmm what are you supposed to do with dog diarrhoea...? [yuk]
When walking DS's mastiff I make it my biz to go places he legitimately can do his, and he obligingly sticks his rear into the middle of a bush or a tussock where no-one is going to walk. Job done. smile
The only time I went to Italy i was entertained by the fact they took their dogs into posh department stores. Fights breaking out in the lingerie dept.
And we saw Angus Deakin with one, queueing to get into restaurant. I was already eating [smug]

Greatnan Thu 01-Mar-12 07:35:19

I got into trouble with dog lovers on one expat forum when I said that I didn't like to see dogs in food shops or restaurants,especially not sitting up at the table!
Monaco is awash with dog faeces in spite of the constant cleaning that goes on.
I am surprised to hear that Geneva suffers in the same way, as I spend a lot of time in Switzerland and every village I know has ample bins with free bin sacks available. However,there are a lot of expats working in Geneva and perhaps the famous Swiss love of cleanliness has not rubbed off on them.