Gransnet forums

AIBU

to wonder.....

(33 Posts)
Granb Mon 27-Feb-12 12:51:06

....why people who walk their dogs find it acceptable to leave their little bags hung on branches. Where do they think they are going to go? Do they think someone will come along and pick them up? angry

On my walk this morning I counted five bags and I know (being the type of person I am) I will see if I can spot more tomorrow!

Is it just me or do others also think it is more disgusting than not picking up at all?

Greatnan Thu 01-Mar-12 07:35:19

I got into trouble with dog lovers on one expat forum when I said that I didn't like to see dogs in food shops or restaurants,especially not sitting up at the table!
Monaco is awash with dog faeces in spite of the constant cleaning that goes on.
I am surprised to hear that Geneva suffers in the same way, as I spend a lot of time in Switzerland and every village I know has ample bins with free bin sacks available. However,there are a lot of expats working in Geneva and perhaps the famous Swiss love of cleanliness has not rubbed off on them.

JessM Wed 29-Feb-12 20:23:17

mmm what are you supposed to do with dog diarrhoea...? [yuk]
When walking DS's mastiff I make it my biz to go places he legitimately can do his, and he obligingly sticks his rear into the middle of a bush or a tussock where no-one is going to walk. Job done. smile
The only time I went to Italy i was entertained by the fact they took their dogs into posh department stores. Fights breaking out in the lingerie dept.
And we saw Angus Deakin with one, queueing to get into restaurant. I was already eating [smug]

apricot Wed 29-Feb-12 19:19:26

We have notices on all the lamp-posts saying £1000 fine if you fail to clear up. With that the council has fulfilled all its responsibility. There are no litter bins except in the town centre and Ive never heard of a single person being fined.
(Likewise they put up signs saying Road subject to ice and gave up gritting)

Stansgran Wed 29-Feb-12 11:18:01

Try Geneva- the streets are foul-all these women elegantly dressed made up to the nines with their dear little dog under their arm-an expensive accessory and far too elegant to pick up poo.
Whereas New York I've seen fingermarks through loose dog faeces which still makes me want to heave but I am full of admiration at their fear of a fine or more likely public opprobrium(sorry if anyone is on a coffee break)

Carol Wed 29-Feb-12 10:39:06

It might be poupe scoop Annobel x

Annobel Wed 29-Feb-12 10:31:25

Once, when my sons were little, I took them to the local playground. But some other child had been down the slide with dog s..t on his/her shoes and it got all over the boys' trousers and jackets. Yuk. However, I do think that things have improved since then with the provision of poop bins and plenty of publicity about the penalties for dog fouling. When I was canvassing in my own campaign for the Council, a resident told me that he had counted the number of piles of dog muck between his house and the bus stop - I think it was 22! Eight years later when I decided to end my political career, I had a look around and found no evidence of dog fouling in the same area. There had been a number of well publicised campaigns both locally and nationally. That same month I had a weekend in Paris and found the streets of Montmartre utterly disgusting, not to mention smelly! Anyone know the French for poop-scoop?

yogagran Wed 29-Feb-12 10:16:49

gma grin

gma Wed 29-Feb-12 09:23:14

Years ago when my children were small, an elderly man would walk his dog along our road and true to form the dog always performed in the same spot, right outside our gate. I was forever cleaning the pushchair wheels and our shoes. I did ask him on several occasions to take the dog elsewhere or use his own path or garden, but no luck. I knew exactly where he lived and told him in no uncertain terms that if it happened again I would put the poo in a bag and put it through his letter box! Funnily enough I only had to do it once. Result!!!

Oldgreymare Mon 27-Feb-12 17:24:53

Just took a walk in the field, skipping around poo on the edge of a path (HUH). Yes, there are notices saying fines of up to £1000 for 'fouling' AND there are bins at every entrance to dispose of 'doggy bags'. A nice man, who must have the most awful job in the world, drives into our street to empty the nearest on a regular basis. So much is done to prevent the problem.
Was tempted to say to a man whose dog was the other side of the field;
' You'll have a long walk to pick up after him'. But chickened out.... one day....
I did pick up a glass bottle and paper bag to put in the rubbish bin all of 5 metres away!
Mishap grin

petallus Mon 27-Feb-12 16:46:15

I was out with my daughter's dogs this morning and saw a black plastic bag dumped in the middle of the path, obviously full of dog poo. I've also seen similar hanging on branches. Round here we are asked to 'flick' into undergrowth unless walking on pavements, in car parks etc. Even if the poo is bagged and put in the dustbin it's still not an ideal solution (incidentally, ditto for used disposable nappies).

goldengirl Mon 27-Feb-12 16:38:22

Where I used to walk my dog had a stick and flick policy - though there is a knack to it grin. It's amazing though that we all get annoyed about dog poo - quite rightly - but forget about human needs when out and about grin

Jacey Mon 27-Feb-12 16:31:07

Love it Mishap ...but don't think I could run away fast enoughhmm

Carol Mon 27-Feb-12 16:28:55

Mishap you wicked woman! grin

Mishap Mon 27-Feb-12 16:26:24

I can't believe that people would hang bags of poo in trees - what can they be thinking of?
I am told that putting it on the owner's doorstep is insufficient - the thing to do is to put it in a paper bag, place it on the doorstep, set light to it, ring the bell and run away. The owner will come out and instinctively stamp on the bag to put the fire out! - result!

numberplease Mon 27-Feb-12 16:19:07

We live opposite a canal bank, and where once upon a time we could walk along the top of the bank, it`s no longer a wise thing to do, because of the amount of dog poo all the way along.

Elegran Mon 27-Feb-12 16:12:17

I often found poo on the pavement, and even in the centre of the garden gate, but never saw it happen. Then one day I happened to be gazing out of the window when a male neighbour walking his dog along our street paused to wait for it - on a lead - as it performed actually six feet down our drive. He stood watching benevolently until he saw me watching - and my expression - then hauled the poor pooch away mid-evacuation.

Carol Mon 27-Feb-12 15:51:35

I often see men in the park walking their dogs and ignoring what their dog is leaving behind. How you can take a dog for a walk and not watch them is beyond me - they obviously know what is happening but choose not to look pretending they didn't notice.

harrigran Mon 27-Feb-12 15:11:49

Disgusting ! I do not want to see dog poo bags hanging in trees. If you want to keep a dog then you must do the distasteful jobs too, not good enough to leave it for someone else to find angry

Oldgreymare Mon 27-Feb-12 15:09:14

I live backing onto a field used by dog walkers. Most owners are responsible and use bags and then the bins provided ( these owners are predominately female!) I have seen young Mum's, with pushchairs to organize, cleaning up.
BUT there are some, all men, who stride off purposefully and ignore what is going on behind them ( behind their dogs actually!).
There are notices warning of fines, obviously ignored. YUK!

Granb Mon 27-Feb-12 14:53:18

Taking photo's sounds good but....am I going to be so busy now looking for it in trees that won't see it when step in it confused

Its not that I don't like dogs either - last one was the boys' Jack Russell who got to 17 and now resides under her favourite spot in the garden.

Hankipanki Mon 27-Feb-12 14:51:01

Mmmm Stick and flick is great for areas which are not used for recreational purposes but we have some local woodland where it is just not nice to allow young children to run amongst the tree.

yogagran Mon 27-Feb-12 14:38:17

This always annoys me as well. One place that I often walk my dog has what they call a "stick and flick" policy on the basis that it disappears naturally and as crimson logically pointed out, as long as it's out of the way no one can tread in it.

Hankipanki Mon 27-Feb-12 13:55:22

If there are no dog poo bins I will often discreetly place my bag at the side of a path and pick it up on my way back. I walk 3 to 4 mile each morning and it is a long way to carry a bag full of poo. I don't know why anyone would hang it in a tree though - perhaps so that the can see it. I often find myself searching around the site I have left my bag, I am obviously too discreet. Sometimes others have picked it up for me as I do with theirs.

I do get angry when people do not clean up after their dogs even when bins are provided.

Carol Mon 27-Feb-12 13:28:03

Poo bags that break down aren't that much more in cost than the usual ones. I think it's time bin bags and the like were all made of organic materials that will break down if they go in the bin.

Jacey Mon 27-Feb-12 13:11:36

Perhaps you could take some pictures and send them to your local paper??