Gransnet forums

AIBU

...to have a little (?!) rant about Gina Ford?

(33 Posts)
jakesgran Tue 06-Mar-12 10:29:34

Oh Gina Ford - I cannot deny you do talk some sense about babies (I am a fan of routine myself - even if not as to-the-letter as the ones you advocate)

But your new book "The Contended Mother"? Advocating new mums should have sex with their partners within weeks of giving birth even if they don't feel like it????? (article here)

With a long career as a maternity nurse etc I can see she has a lot to offer when it comes to tips about dealing with newborns. But as someone who has never actually given birth herself how on earth is she in a position to advise about how a mum should behave or feel in those early days?

If I ever catch one of my DC reading a copy of that book I shall take it away and burn it

(rant over)

granbunny Thu 29-Mar-12 22:22:05

episiotomy? the doctor stitched me twice - the first time he said to my husband, 'oh, you'll never be able to have sex' and took the stitches out and started again. that was around 9am, and at 10 30 same doc called in to see me and i thought 'you look nice, come here...' hehehe. didn't tell him though. even though it was a private room. hehehe.

petallus Fri 30-Mar-12 11:03:56

I had an epistiotomy 44 years ago. Could hardly sit down for a while.

I haven't read the book but advising women to have sex with husband within weeks EVEN IF YOU DON'T FEEL LIKE IT?? Ah I see, the title 'Contented Little Baby' refers to one's husband/partner smile

merlotgran Fri 30-Mar-12 16:19:28

Those of a nervous disposition better look away now. I had an episiotomy 38 yrs ago and three weeks after my daughter was born I couldn't understand why I was still in such discomfort so we called the GP - yes, they came out in those days. He discovered one of the stitches hadn't dissolved so prepared to deal with it. My husband had to kneel at the side of the bed clutching the bedside lamp as close as he could so the doc could see what he was snipping. They crouched together, heads almost touching, when it was decided that things would be a lot simpler if they removed the lampshade!

Carol Fri 30-Mar-12 17:02:29

merlotgran that doesn't surprise me. Think yourself lucky the doctor didn't have a fag in his mouth at the same time! 37 years ago, my consultant would have his cigarette hovering over my large bump, ready to drop his fag-ash on me - the sister would stand there with a cupped hand, ready to intervene!

Annobel Fri 30-Mar-12 17:30:14

I don't know if it's meant to happen this way, but second time round my episiotomy from no1 neatly unzipped itself without tearing, although it didn't zip up again.

Anagram Fri 30-Mar-12 17:50:02

Yikes, Annobel! shock

Annobel Fri 30-Mar-12 18:11:27

No, Anagram, I didn't feel a thing when the head was forcing itself through! And the stitching didn't bother me much either. I was just pleased with the baby who, disconcertingly, looked exactly like my father, before he went bald.