Gransnet forums

AIBU

Badly behaved kids

(137 Posts)
dorsetpennt Sat 17-Mar-12 18:53:01

When I was young, before children , I remarked to a friend about how well behaved her childen were. She said she would always love her kids but wanted other people to like them too. That comment stuck in my mind when I had my own and I also passed this onto to my son & DIL . The reason for this remark is that I have seen a lot of really badly behaved children. My neighbour's 2 year old son screamed for 3 hours today - out of temper according to his mother. But they don't believe he is old enough for any form of discipline. My daughter has just telephoned and said that she and a friend were sitting in Costa for a much needed coffee. Only to have it completely ruined by 3 children screaming, rolling around on the floor running around etc whilst their mothers blissfully drank their coffee. We have both been out with my 3 year old GD to resturants and cafes and she has behaved well. Taught by her parents to behave. Why is it some people don't teach their children manners, good behaviour etc. Teach them when they are young and they will grow up to be nice adults. A primary school teacher friend of my daughter told us that some children arrive without any idea on how to behave [incidentally a lot arrive barely toilet trained and sporting a dummy!!!]. So they have to be taught that before any school work can be implemented - also means the other children are ahead of them as they are being taught as normal.

bagitha Wed 04-Apr-12 08:31:59

smile Love it!

yogagran Wed 04-Apr-12 10:47:14

We have "scribble talk" too absent

mibs Wed 04-Apr-12 14:31:53

New to this,so be gentle with me! I'm startled by the rush of (grand)motherly love I feel when my grandson is being told off by his parents. They seem so over the top and he responds by shouting even louder. Then I remember my first years with 2 children under 2yrs and I bite my tongue ...........

yogagran Wed 04-Apr-12 15:25:22

Welcome mibs, I hope you have a great time with us all at GN flowers

mibs Wed 04-Apr-12 15:43:28

Thank you v.much yogagran - I'm not often around but dip in now and then.

Gillian77 Wed 04-Apr-12 19:45:41

My normally well-behaved two and a half year old grandson was with his parents having lunch in a nice restaurant when suddenly he pointed to a chap sipping his Coke at the next table and shouted out at the top of his voice, "Mummy, Mummy, I want some Diet Cock." Beat that!!!!

greenmossgiel Wed 04-Apr-12 19:51:51

Only where my son, aged about 4, asked one of our visitors at dinner if they 'pumped' in the bath. blush Mortification had no boundaries that night....!

NanaandGrampy Thu 26-Apr-12 09:57:59

I'm a Mum of 2 daughters and besotted Nana to 3 small grandchildren and I have a very clear memory of something my gran said to me when my youngest daughter was born re children in restaurants. She said that it was wise to remember that some of the people eating with you may have saved for this ocassion . They were entitled to enjoy that without my children running round like whirling dervish.

I took that to heart and I NEVER go out with the GC without exciting things in my handbag ( well exciting to a 5,2 and 5 month old). They have to sit at the table for a reasonable length of time, they play quite happily without disturbing others and quite honestly I expect the same courtesy from others.

I dont think its old fashioned or asking too much . I love children but I dont want yours crawling under my tables, potentially tripping waiters or playing tag inbetween the table.

Just my opinion of course :-)

Anagram Thu 26-Apr-12 10:26:52

I absolutely agree, NanaandGrampy, that makes perfect sense.

granbunny Thu 26-Apr-12 21:30:58

not a badly behaved child, but a child in restaurants...

when daughter was tiny we regularly took her out for meals in restaurants and hotels. in a quiet dining room, she would walk around to talk to other diners. they were delighted by her - if not, she did not disturb them. she was small, clean, charming, polite and articulate. on one occasion she engaged in a lengthy conversation with a family she had not met before. they asked her age, so she had to come back to ask me 'mummy, how old am i?' i gave her the answer. 'you are thirteen months; one year and one month old'.

conversation. in her own right. with strangers. she'd been a 'conversational' baby, too.

we would have taken a dim view of crawling under tables! baby would have had to sit with me and not be allowed to free range at all!

granbunny Thu 26-Apr-12 21:31:41

i may have posted that before. i'm becoming forgetful. i think its my age.