Gransnet forums

AIBU

sniffing

(34 Posts)
Judi Mon 19-Mar-12 15:50:38

I am disgusted at the decline in good manners these days. Even in the Nineties I never saw and heard what I have to put up with these days: foul language in shops cafes and buses, spitting and sniffing like pigs! Yuk!! Why don't poeple use a hanky? Yet apparently teachers are afraid to teach pupils good manners because they are considered 'bourgeois by the PC idiots who run the Dept Edjukashun. It is not: it is an insult to the working class to imply they don't approve of good manners. Am I right or am I right? What do you think of that sort of anti-social conduct?

Carol Mon 19-Mar-12 16:06:19

I don't know about it happening these days Judi. I remember as a child seeing men wind car windows down to hoik into the road, and there were notices all over the place about spitting. I see less of that now, so I'm not sure if it's worse - some people don't have manners, never have, never will.

Personally, I think it's revolting to hear someone snorting, sniffing and spitting, and I don't like foul language.

The other day, I was in Waitrose and an elderly man was swearing at his wife and telling her to f***ing get a move on - he must have been in his late seventies, her too. I made sure he saw me give him a look of disgust at his behaviour, and each time I passed him in an aisle, he turned to look at the shelves so he didn't have to look at me. What a coward!

Anagram Mon 19-Mar-12 16:17:33

I hate huge yawns and loud burps in public - some people (usually men!) seem quite proud of their noisy wind emissions [puzzled]

Anagram Mon 19-Mar-12 16:18:35

Hmmm - should have been confused! confused

I'll get the hang of these yet....

wotsamashedupjingl Mon 19-Mar-12 16:56:17

I sniff - sometimes.

Mishap Mon 19-Mar-12 16:57:11

Some years ago I was in Kwiksave (nothing but the best for us!) with my daughter when a man of about 40, who we were following down the aisle, stopped his trolley, lifted his left buttock with his hand, lifted his leg and let out a massive fart! I was gobsmacked!
We now know Kiwiksave as Kwikfart in our family!
That's what I call bad manners.

Annika Mon 19-Mar-12 16:57:37

In a shop today and the shop assistant told me she was "knackered " !!!!
I didn't even ask after her well being hmm It was one of those "pound" shops.
I then went into Marks and Spencer and the assistant was the complete opposite, manners and a smile . grin

Annobel Mon 19-Mar-12 17:10:39

I once asked the doctor if there was anything I could do about DS1's sniffing - he was 3 or 4, I think. Doc completely subverted me by saying 'Well, Mrs...., it may be an unedifying habit but it isn't doing him any harm'. Huh, whose side was he on? It turned out, in fact, that DS suffered from hay fever and this was probably the reason for the sniffing. I haven't noticed him sniffing for several decades now.

wotsamashedupjingl Mon 19-Mar-12 17:13:27

Less likely to damage your sinuses. Nose blowing can be bad.

I hasten to add I do blow my nose most of the time. grin

wotsamashedupjingl Mon 19-Mar-12 17:14:59

Is there something wrong with saying you are knackered?

Annobel Mon 19-Mar-12 17:22:51

I was once taken to task by a BF for saying I was knackered, at least 45 years ago. It was once considered rather un-ladylike but like so many other expressions seems to have gained currency even in 'polite' society. That BF didn't last long.

bagitha Mon 19-Mar-12 17:28:46

I think knackered was regarded and unfit for ladies' use because of its reference to knackering (castrating) horses. I suppose ladies weren't supposed to know about such things hmm, but since we do, we can use it grin.
Besides, it just means very tired. Even ladies are allowed to be very tired.

Stansgran Mon 19-Mar-12 18:02:50

What about people chewing gum when they are talking to you and shop assistants answering the phone when they started to deal with you and keep you waiting?

Annika Mon 19-Mar-12 18:09:48

wotsamashedupjingl No I don't suppose there is anything wrong with saying you are knackered but my point was she took one look at me and out she came with it ( perhaps I looked knackered and thats what did it ) she said
"Oh God I am knackered" not the usual greeting you would come to expect when being served in a shop. My feet would not have touched the ground if I had said that to a customer where I worked . I would have been out of the door and down to the job centre in a shot

Greatnan Mon 19-Mar-12 18:13:51

I have heard 'cream crackered' used on TV - is that better?
In French banks and small Post Offices, the person at the counter also deals with telephone calls, so you can stand for 15 minutes waiting while he/she deals with a complicated enquiry on the phone. Not their fault, just the system, and I have never heard a French person complain.
I do hate it when footballers clear one side of their nose noisily on the pitch.Surely they could have a good blow in the dressing room?
I saw one couple on TV who were being married in the USA and the bride chewed gum throughout the ceremony.

wotsamashedupjingl Mon 19-Mar-12 18:15:01

I would have been sympathetic. [sniff]

wotsamashedupjingl Mon 19-Mar-12 18:15:30

grin at the bride chewing gum!!

wotsamashedupjingl Mon 19-Mar-12 18:16:35

shock Why can't they have a hankie tucked up their knicker leg in their shorts?!

petallus Mon 19-Mar-12 18:24:52

I've noticed when watching Scandanavian tv that a lot of the characters, even the heroes, chew gum. Or it might have been Italian - Moltalvano. Sorry to be vague but it seems chewing gum is not frowned on by all cultures.

jeni Mon 19-Mar-12 18:28:10

I thought knackered referred to the knackers yard. Ie the slaughterhouse?

bagitha Mon 19-Mar-12 18:31:22

That too, jeni.

bagitha Mon 19-Mar-12 18:32:45

absent "cream crackers" her mirrors when she wants to let off steam. They're buttered too.

yogagran Tue 20-Mar-12 00:00:58

What about the people who pick their noses? It's strange how often you see people in their cars picking their noses as though they think that they can't be seen!

petallus Tue 20-Mar-12 07:30:40

Wots your post has reminded me that when a child I used to keep a hankie tucked into my brown elastic-legged school knickers. I was getting it out in class one day and the teacher asked in ringing tones if i needed a pin. I still wonder what she meant.

Gmajen Tue 20-Mar-12 19:20:37

petallus ( sounds vaguely roman!) I am sure the delectable Inspector Montalbano doesn't chew gum.