Gransnet forums

AIBU

sniffing

(35 Posts)
Judi Mon 19-Mar-12 15:50:38

I am disgusted at the decline in good manners these days. Even in the Nineties I never saw and heard what I have to put up with these days: foul language in shops cafes and buses, spitting and sniffing like pigs! Yuk!! Why don't poeple use a hanky? Yet apparently teachers are afraid to teach pupils good manners because they are considered 'bourgeois by the PC idiots who run the Dept Edjukashun. It is not: it is an insult to the working class to imply they don't approve of good manners. Am I right or am I right? What do you think of that sort of anti-social conduct?

maxgran Wed 28-Mar-12 14:01:18

When I was at infants school we were lined up every morning and had to show a clean hanky and have our shoes inspected.
My Dad used to make us, from starting school age, give our shoes a good polish every Sunday evening in readiness for the school week ahead.

I don't think many children these days are expected to prepare much for themselves. Infact from what I see, many of them cannot iron a shirt or wash something for themselves before they leave home !

Nanban Fri 23-Mar-12 21:04:15

A very hot day today and water had been left out for passing dogs - I put my hand in to show dearie to have a drink and someone had spat in it so I found myself with a handful of .... oh yes!!!!!! How awful and several handwashes later it still feels yukky.

jack Fri 23-Mar-12 19:51:16

One of the many things I love about our grandchildren is that they cottoned on at a very early age that good manners matter. The credit must go to our DD, but manners were instilled in her (and her brother) at an early age so I imagine parents and grandparents do have to take responsibility for kind and thoughtful behaviour (which is what manners are all about) and it is a bonus when schools back us up - which I'm sure most schools try to do, even though it must be an uphill battle at times.

Anagram Fri 23-Mar-12 19:23:26

It certainly should be, Carol, but some parents need lessons in manners themselves.....

wotsamashedupjingl Fri 23-Mar-12 19:20:54

I think in primary schools the teachers do their best to teach the children to consider other people's feelings.

In secondary school I imagine they are too busy teaching the national curriculum.

I would think it's more of a job for parents.

wisewoman Fri 23-Mar-12 19:19:52

The school my grandson attends is very hot on good manners and it is obvious when we attend any open days or events. I was so impressed that I actually wrote to the head teacher to congratulate her and her staff on the behaviour of her pupils.

Carol Fri 23-Mar-12 19:16:59

What makes you ask judi?

Judi Fri 23-Mar-12 19:11:02

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHETHER TEACHERS TALK ABOUT GOOD MANNERS NOWADAYS? OR DO THEY JUST FOCUS ON STOPPING VIOLENCE?

Annobel Tue 20-Mar-12 19:29:55

Sir Alex Ferguson looks like a cow chewing the cud when the camera focuses on him during a match. Do his jaws really need that much exercise?

Gmajen Tue 20-Mar-12 19:20:37

petallus ( sounds vaguely roman!) I am sure the delectable Inspector Montalbano doesn't chew gum.

petallus Tue 20-Mar-12 07:30:40

Wots your post has reminded me that when a child I used to keep a hankie tucked into my brown elastic-legged school knickers. I was getting it out in class one day and the teacher asked in ringing tones if i needed a pin. I still wonder what she meant.

yogagran Tue 20-Mar-12 00:00:58

What about the people who pick their noses? It's strange how often you see people in their cars picking their noses as though they think that they can't be seen!

bagitha Mon 19-Mar-12 18:32:45

absent "cream crackers" her mirrors when she wants to let off steam. They're buttered too.

bagitha Mon 19-Mar-12 18:31:22

That too, jeni.

jeni Mon 19-Mar-12 18:28:10

I thought knackered referred to the knackers yard. Ie the slaughterhouse?

petallus Mon 19-Mar-12 18:24:52

I've noticed when watching Scandanavian tv that a lot of the characters, even the heroes, chew gum. Or it might have been Italian - Moltalvano. Sorry to be vague but it seems chewing gum is not frowned on by all cultures.

wotsamashedupjingl Mon 19-Mar-12 18:16:35

shock Why can't they have a hankie tucked up their knicker leg in their shorts?!

wotsamashedupjingl Mon 19-Mar-12 18:15:30

grin at the bride chewing gum!!

wotsamashedupjingl Mon 19-Mar-12 18:15:01

I would have been sympathetic. [sniff]

Greatnan Mon 19-Mar-12 18:13:51

I have heard 'cream crackered' used on TV - is that better?
In French banks and small Post Offices, the person at the counter also deals with telephone calls, so you can stand for 15 minutes waiting while he/she deals with a complicated enquiry on the phone. Not their fault, just the system, and I have never heard a French person complain.
I do hate it when footballers clear one side of their nose noisily on the pitch.Surely they could have a good blow in the dressing room?
I saw one couple on TV who were being married in the USA and the bride chewed gum throughout the ceremony.

Annika Mon 19-Mar-12 18:09:48

wotsamashedupjingl No I don't suppose there is anything wrong with saying you are knackered but my point was she took one look at me and out she came with it ( perhaps I looked knackered and thats what did it ) she said
"Oh God I am knackered" not the usual greeting you would come to expect when being served in a shop. My feet would not have touched the ground if I had said that to a customer where I worked . I would have been out of the door and down to the job centre in a shot

Stansgran Mon 19-Mar-12 18:02:50

What about people chewing gum when they are talking to you and shop assistants answering the phone when they started to deal with you and keep you waiting?

bagitha Mon 19-Mar-12 17:28:46

I think knackered was regarded and unfit for ladies' use because of its reference to knackering (castrating) horses. I suppose ladies weren't supposed to know about such things hmm, but since we do, we can use it grin.
Besides, it just means very tired. Even ladies are allowed to be very tired.

Annobel Mon 19-Mar-12 17:22:51

I was once taken to task by a BF for saying I was knackered, at least 45 years ago. It was once considered rather un-ladylike but like so many other expressions seems to have gained currency even in 'polite' society. That BF didn't last long.

wotsamashedupjingl Mon 19-Mar-12 17:14:59

Is there something wrong with saying you are knackered?