Gransnet forums

AIBU

My Waitrose

(119 Posts)
BarbaraAbbs Mon 02-Apr-12 13:51:30

Has anyone else had any difficulty in getting a My Waitrose card. I have been trying, by post, phone and online since November? At that time a friend kindly donated a packet of liquorice allsorts to me, which he had got free with his mY Waitrose card; He didn't like them and I love liquorice. Anyway, he urged me to sign up so I did. But I am still waiting.

Nanban Mon 02-Apr-12 14:29:28

WHAT!!!!! Free sweeties - I didn't get any, outrageous! I got sent the card out of the blue and had/have no clue what it's for. What am I missing - apart from the liquorice allsorts that is.

jeni Mon 02-Apr-12 15:00:51

Nor me!

nanachrissy Mon 02-Apr-12 20:39:48

I live in a corner of my local Waitrose and I've never heard of the card!

Annobel Mon 02-Apr-12 21:03:57

I have one. Apparently I signed up for it when I was ill in January and had a delivery from Waitrose. I'm not sure what privileges it gives me!

Annobel Mon 02-Apr-12 22:00:01

I hate liquorice - so if I ever get some, you can toss up for them jeni and nanban.

mrshat Tue 03-Apr-12 17:38:59

I love Liquorice too Annobel! I've never heard of the card either and I am a loyal (sometimes) customer! confused

jeni Tue 03-Apr-12 17:43:11

Perhaps we should moan to waitrose! Grannies being liquorice deprived by major supermarket chain!

Maniac Tue 03-Apr-12 21:54:22

I love liquorice.I'm a regular customer of our new Waitrose in Nailsea.Never been offered a card or free sweeties.I'll be in there tomorrow!

BarbaraAbbs Wed 04-Apr-12 15:39:08

At the self-billing checkout there is a little flier above the card-reader saying Do NOtForget to Show your My Waitrose Card before you pay. I picked up the form there, decided to join on-line but no success. Liquorice lovers - does anyone know where you can get decent liquorice, chewy and not too treacly or aniseedy? Julian Graves have stopped selling the stuff I liked.

mrshat Wed 04-Apr-12 17:39:15

BarbaraAbbs have you tried Lakeland - it is from Oz and is rather tasty! grin

Nonu Sat 28-Apr-12 16:56:14

Holland and Barrett do very nice liquorice

Hattie64 Sat 28-Apr-12 18:21:18

It two a couple of weeks before I got my card, but didn't get any sweeties with it. I gather, from a member of staff, they send you coupons about twice a year and you can also go on their site and see recipes etc. which I never do. Thats about it, nothing to get too excited about. I was under the incorrect illusion that I would get freebies etc.

Annobel Sat 28-Apr-12 19:28:37

I seem to get a penny - yes, a whole penny - off my bill every time I show my card at the till!

Maniac Sun 29-Apr-12 10:27:20

Does anyone else think that their £50 minimum free delivery is a bit steep? -especially for older people living alone - those who most need free delivery.

Annobel Sun 29-Apr-12 10:42:29

I've only taken a delivery once - when I was too ill to go out - and made sure I was ordering just over the £50, and enough to last me two or three weeks. I don't think it's the only store to have a minimum free delivery charge.

glammanana Sun 29-Apr-12 10:43:47

maniac The £50.00 minimum does seem a bit steep but you know what they will say,that the cost of petrol,drivers,product pickers will all have to be costed in.I think if it was not as successful and popular as the delivery service is they would soon reduce the limit down to say? £35.00.Do they deliver for orders under £50.00 but charge for the delivery ? we do not have a Waitrose near us so I don't know.

whenim64 Sun 29-Apr-12 11:03:56

I get emails from Waitrose and Ocado, and I wait until I get a voucher offering 25% off my shopping before I do an online shop. If I spend about £60, the 25% off covers more than the difference compared with other supermarkets and the delivery charge, so it works well for me. The trick is to wait a few weeks and they start trying to tempt you back. If they send one that only offers 25% off the Ocado range, I ignore it because it doesn't cover every item. It needs to be off the whole shop.

Annobel Sun 29-Apr-12 11:08:55

Yes, that's what they do, glamma. But as I say, I don't think Waitrose is unique in this policy. I have looked at the Tesco web site, and, although I am sure they do have a delivery charge, they seem to be coy about mentioning it.

imjingl Sun 29-Apr-12 11:29:37

I think it's quite amazing that Waitrose do a free delivery at all. Are there any other supermarkets that do this?

If you use Ocado to get Waitrose goods, the minimum spend is £40, but there is a delivery charge. It's a very reasonable charge if you sign up for a year though. I pay £9.99 a month. I have regular Saturday morning deliveries for that, usually £6 a go. Would pay more for petrol than that. Can't manage it all by bike these days!

harrigran Sun 29-Apr-12 12:26:13

Am I the only person who is not in their delivery area ? I went out for lunch yesterday and visited a Waitrose whilst out.

crimson Sun 29-Apr-12 13:10:34

Noticed today whilst buying a new tumble dryer [on top of having no heating, being in trouble at work and having sciatica] due to my bodged job on the old one no longer doing the trick that, if you buy things online at John Lewis they will deliver to your nearest waitrose for collection if you prefer to collect from there.No good to me as I've no idea where there is a Waitrose but, as John Lewis are a really good store to deal with and will do a price match as well, it's worth knowing. I'm now cold, miserable and my clothes are starting to develop that frousty smell that one associates with male students at rock concerts.

Maniac Sun 29-Apr-12 15:57:01

Somerfield did free delivery over £25.They've now been replaced by Waitrose in my nearby town.
I think Iceland do free delivery -very good range of frozen foods.

imjingl Sun 29-Apr-12 18:23:48

Somerfields have turned into Co-ops now haven't they?

Butternut Sun 29-Apr-12 18:49:01

The thing is, I don't think any of this is free delivery - it's just hidden in the price of the goods. As the saying goes, 'it's business'. Having said that, I wouldn't mind a delivery here from any supermarket!