Gransnet forums



(6 Posts)
daisybell Wed 04-Apr-12 16:39:16

i live in alms housing it suppused to be run by charity we just have a company that run us we have just been taken over by pathways,the thing is if you are on housing benefit supporting people pay for our warden.but now pathways have cancled the contract with the council and we have to pay this money of which is 12£ a week each and there are 21flats here after paying for electric and telephone plus others im left with 145£a month to live on how can this be charityyou work hard all your life and have to live on a shoe string

Notsogrand Wed 04-Apr-12 17:20:41

Are you claiming all the benefits you are entitled to daisybell?

This 'benefits check' link is from the Money Saving Expert site, and has been updated for all recent benefit changes.

Always worth a look smile

wotsamashedupjingl Wed 04-Apr-12 17:22:33

I wondfer if these people could help click here

jeni Wed 04-Apr-12 17:23:29

Also check with lawyer, is this legal if it's a charity?

glammanana Wed 04-Apr-12 17:43:46

People who need to have housing benefit/council tax payments are entitled to have their warden charges paid via Social Services there should be a manager at your Housing Association who is up to date on this (if not why not) ask the question daisybell this payment should not be down to you if you claim benefit,I know that some of my elderly neighbours have this payment made for them and they have a warden call 5 days a week and 24hr emergency telephone call line,if anyone is in receipt of DLA or mobility allowance they should also receive this payment.I think maybe you should pop into your local Age UK and ask one of the advisors to put you on the right track. good luck.

susiecb Thu 05-Apr-12 09:40:56

I cant support the other postings enough here re claiming benefits. Recently DH and i took over MIL affairs after the elder brother who was doing it became ill. we checked through her benefits, elder brother said he had 'done all that she cant get anything else' we put in a claim for attendance allowance and she is now £84 per week!! better off. Of course a lot of that needs to be spent on support but it measn she is safer and comfier. She also lives in a housing association run accomodation for older people. Apply I say they can always say no but don't assume your are not entitled you may get a pleasant surprise.