Gransnet forums

AIBU

to wish that people leaving telephone messages...

(17 Posts)
granjura Tue 17-Apr-12 21:39:12

Thing is, most telephones have a short message time, after which it is cut off. Which is why people talk to fast, to get it all in. Daft.. as it just does not work.
Nowadays I always think clearly about the shortest possible clear message beforehand, for any important call, and always repeat name and tel slowly.

tingaloo Tue 17-Apr-12 20:51:32

Especially when they gabble out a ring-back number. I sometimes have to play it back eight or more times, to get the number digit by digit.

Dancinggran Fri 13-Apr-12 06:29:15

At work we often have messages just saying "Ring me back" - no name or phone number - very infuriating.

Anagram Thu 12-Apr-12 16:46:55

Oh, I can't resist phoning 1471...!

whatamess Thu 12-Apr-12 16:44:29

Yes gabblers are a pain. It isn't difficult to leave a short succinct message with date and time of call plus your number. Repeating the number is also helpful. But equally annoying are people who won't leave a message even though the machine shows one has been left. I never do a 1471 as I figure that if it was important they would have left a message.

inishowen Thu 12-Apr-12 15:26:10

My husband runs a small business and leaves his answer machine on out of hours. The amount of people who call and leave a garbled telephone number for him to call back, is unbelieveable. Often he has three or four colleagues trying to make it out. Then he'll get the irate customer complaining they weren't phoned back!

Nanban Thu 12-Apr-12 08:13:17

First time my mother got our ansaphone - way back - she asked me who the 'nice young woman was who answered the phone' - that would be me of course in best telephone voice! Do we rush messages on the same principle of speeding to the garage because we are nearly out of petrol?

NannaAnna Wed 11-Apr-12 00:39:48

I chat away quite happily to answering machines smile I have been known to redial up to 4 times in order to complete my message (Always clear and eloquent, of course!)
I'm probably as much of a nightmare as the gabblers!! grin

yogagran Tue 10-Apr-12 18:21:30

phoenix - particularly if they are giving out an alternative number to call confused

Anne58 Tue 10-Apr-12 15:17:14

I agree, but also wish that when I am ringing companies, the person answering would speak more slowly too!

Annobel Tue 10-Apr-12 14:42:15

When answering machines first made their appearance, I used to put the phone down and go off to write my message down, then re-dial. Strange how quickly we get used to innovations!

kittylester Tue 10-Apr-12 14:21:13

Isn't it because people hate the bally things and hope against hope that they will get a person? When I don't get a person I panic and gabble, gabble.

I hate recording the message asking people to leave a message too!

On my husband's practice phone we often just get heavy breathing!! Luckily, the machine tells us the number so we call them back - up to now it has always been an older person (rather than an elderly one!!) smile

yogagran Tue 10-Apr-12 14:09:28

I know that sometimes I rush when leaving a message because some machines will cut you off in mid-flow before you get a chance to finish.

HildaW Tue 10-Apr-12 13:36:37

Have had to play the message 4 times before to get all the details!

SOOP Tue 10-Apr-12 12:38:28

bags grin

Carol Tue 10-Apr-12 11:53:26

bags grin

bagitha Tue 10-Apr-12 11:48:59

... would SLOW DOWN!

What is it about fast gabble that people think is so cool?

Fortunately, in spite of Tom Gabble's babbling, I knew that he was calling about the babble belonging to Mr Baggy that needs to be returned to babble and replaced. Fortunately also, I managed to catch the number so that Mr B can gabble back and arrange gabble gabble of said babble.

I rang Mr B with the number. Tom who? he said. Tom Gabble, I said. Ringing from where? he said. From gabble, I said.

Sigh!! confused