Gransnet forums

AIBU

cold calling

(31 Posts)
Hunt Tue 10-Apr-12 16:04:49

AIBU to wish that cold callers,to whom I try to be polite for reasons posted elsewhere, would not ask me,''How are you today'' . Would they be interested if I said,'' Well,I have atrial fibrilation , high blood pressure, Osteoperosis, and have just been diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis.'' The state of my health is totally irrelevant to the subject of the call so, in the words of the young,''Leave i' aht''.

Gally Wed 25-Apr-12 17:31:49

I don't answer the phone if International is displayed - if it's my daughter , she will leave a message - the other callers never do.. I don't answer the phone if it displays 'withheld' or 'unavailable'. If they want me, they'll soon enough get me through the usual channels. Just after Mr.G died I had a call from a young man asking to speak to him. I replied that no he couldnt 'is there any good reason why I can't?' he said in a very beligerant manner. So I told him - never got rid of anyone so quickly; I like to think he was embarrassed, but don't really expect he was.

whenim64 Thu 31-May-12 08:52:12

The Mail and Telephone Preference Services are really useful, but you need to renew your registration with them every few months. I remembered to go back and check this morning, and had to re-register. It seems to have lasted for nearly a year and I have had less junk mail, but it started to creep up again in this last month - that explains why.

Anagram Thu 31-May-12 08:54:14

Oh, thanks when - I didn't know you had to renew. I think we registered some years ago....blush

nanaej Thu 31-May-12 22:20:03

I never pick up unless my phone displays a name I know. If it is important they will leave a message & I will call back. Have CPS and so now only international calls that ring in. I am more empathetic to the rare caller that does get through. It is a deadly job and the young people I know who have done this, have been desperate for work & have hated it & got out as soon as they find an alternative. i am always polite but clear i am not interested in whatever they are selling/surveying! Lucky never to have had an unpleasant experience.

Nanban Fri 01-Jun-12 21:37:42

Youngest worked at a telesales job during holidays to earn a crust and came home with all sorts of tales - asking for one chap, the lady who answered said his funeral was just about to leave and could he ring back later; another said, oh no dear, I couldn't possibly, my son's a homosexual! and all he was trying to do was sell double glazing.

I usually say, I'm sorry to say it because you are so nice, but I am completely uninterested - before they get into stride.