Gransnet forums

AIBU

aibu to feel a bit disgruntled about this invitation?

(31 Posts)
frida Thu 03-May-12 21:51:26

been invited to an evening wedding reception for a distant relative. If this person passed me in the street or even came and knocked on my door I wouldn't even recognise them ! The couple have been living together for a few years and have baby twins. Along with the invitation was a 'poem' inviting the guests to 'make a wish' for the happy couple and put the wish into a 'wishing well' at the party along with some cash so that when all their stuff needs to be replaced they will use the money and 'hope' that my wish will be granted. What a load of b****cks!

Faye Wed 09-May-12 01:02:13

It is becoming quite common in Australia to be invited to weddings in other states or countries. My son in law was groomsman at a wedding three years ago, this meant flights, hire car to drive from the airport, about another hundred kilometres, hotel accommodation, meals and then they were expected to contribute money for a wedding gift which normally I would think of as fine. They felt quite pressured and only accepted because SIL was one of the groomsmen but struggled to find the money and had to miss meals some of the time they were away as they ran out of money. This year they have been invited to a wedding in Bali, they have accepted the invitation and about eighty people from this country area are also going, all for a week. This time SIL and D2 can afford to go and are looking forward to the holiday especially as there are many of their friends also attending. They have also been asked to give money as a gift. I would think if people had paid thousands of dollars on flights, accommodation, meals for a week, etc to attend a wedding their presence would be enough of a present!

specki4eyes Wed 09-May-12 21:20:48

A good thing to put on an invitation is, "no presents, your presence is our present".
I once told a friend in advance that I would be unable to attend her daughter's wedding. A week or two later in the post to my French home, came a big fat expensive looking envelope containing: official engraved invitation; directions to church and reception venue; list of local hotels/airport/train station; instructions for accessing Harvey Nicks gift list. Hmm!

gracesmum Wed 09-May-12 21:45:50

Subtle (as a brick) hint eh? grin

vegasmags Wed 09-May-12 22:06:33

I have some very nice young friends who are getting married this summer after living together for several years. They therefore don't need the usual kind of weddding presents and have asked for wine which they can lay down as the basis of a future cellar. I think this is a great idea as you don't have to spend a fortune - just guess which wine will improve with age. Their request has also caused some merriment in that they are well known as a couple who like to enjoy life, and it's a question as to whether they will demonstrate the self discipline not to drink it all within the first 12 months!

Another young couple of my acquaintance planned to acquire an allotment after marriage, so requested a whole list of gardening gifts, ranging from tools to packets of seeds and a load of horse manure!

I got married for the first time at 21, and still use some of the modest, mostly utilitarian presents I received - the ironing board from an aunty, the Boxing Day tea set from my mum and various kitchen bits and bobs. I rather like this link with the past.

nanaej Wed 09-May-12 22:37:25

My DD did not ask for gifts but most people asked what they wanted so she set up a web page and people who asked were directed there..they could give cash which DD had translated into equivalent air miles, bottles of wine etc. that would contribute to their already paid for 'honeymoon' in Mallorca with their little boy!

Most guests were invited for the whole wedding but SiL had loads of work mates so some of them just came for drinks and disco! Think younger people don't have the same expectations now and realise that it is an expensive business to invite all for a meal.