Gransnet forums

AIBU

feeling left out

(196 Posts)
nelliedeane Wed 09-May-12 19:00:15

am feeling very left out and unloved,you all seem to know each other so well and are all meeting up with each other,and I dont seem to fit in to any of the niches,or fit in to any of the groups already formed am a very sad nellie,and feel very cross with myself for sounding so needy,nellie is having a bad daysad

Butternut Wed 09-May-12 20:47:21

Nite, nite Nellie - sleep tight!

glassortwo Wed 09-May-12 20:47:40

Sweet dreams nellie today is done ...tomorrow is another day sunshine

whitewave Wed 09-May-12 20:48:02

sleep well Nellie speak tomorrow

whenim64 Wed 09-May-12 21:03:55

There's nothing like a lovely dog to give you comfort when you are down. Sleep well nellie

jeni Wed 09-May-12 21:13:11

Is that why you singe their bottoms?

gracesmum Wed 09-May-12 21:14:06

Oh dear nelliedeane I do know just what you mean, but you have been through such tragedy it would be surprising if you did not have "wobbles", none of us is supergran/mum. Like shysal I too find it hard to get involved at times, e.g. in "virtual" parties.Unless you are in the mood it is hard to be jolly and the life and soul of the party. I suppose at any one time more than half of all GNers are feeling sad/lonely/disappointed/worried for whatever reason and it is just at times like these that "everybody" else seems to be having a wonderful time, all grans together.
I do hope you have a better day tomorrow sunshine and that you can help GD to cope with her sorrow along with your own.

whenim64 Wed 09-May-12 21:20:03

jeni this is your final warning grin That dog singed his own bottom. Sorry Gransnetters, back to the thread. smile

whenim64 Wed 09-May-12 21:23:15

gracesmum you are right - we all have our off days and some of us like to retreat to lick our wounds, while others find solace in Gransnet and can jolly themselves up a bit by talking to others or joining in some fun. smile

Sewsilver Wed 09-May-12 21:28:46

Nelliecupcake andflowers.

Ariadne Wed 09-May-12 21:38:34

Night night nellie xxxx We are all here for you whenever you need us, brave lady. Xxxxxxxx

Bags Wed 09-May-12 21:53:14

nellie, I'm full of admiration for your courage and strength. Strong people need to cry sometimes same as others. I loved your input to the party thread! grin. Be 'seeing' you around. Sleep tight tonight. flowers

soop and I discovered we both live in Argyll. It's a big place sliced up by long sea lochs and mountains (both lovely!) so we can't meet up often. We just decided to take advantage of some of soop's hospital visits in Glasgow so I went to see her while she was recovering from a hip operation a few weeks ago, and next week she is going to come by my house, rather off her track but not by too much, on her way back from her post-op check. We will raise a real chocolate and a virtual gin (probably coffee!) toast to ALL our gransnet friends, including you smile x

MargaretX Thu 10-May-12 08:17:52

Nellie it is the frst I have heard of your tragedy. I can't imagine how I would be in such case. I'm sure I would fall to pieces and if you have bad days then that is more than understandable.
You obviously had a good virtual party. That is my weakness on GN. I can't keep going on and on.

Not because I'm not on-line, I'm playing Bridge on line with 250,000 other Bridge players in the world and the hours just slip by, but I love GN just because you can be a passive reader who posts everynow and again.

kittylester Thu 10-May-12 08:46:39

Nellie I have just caught up with this thread and then searched to find some of your story. You have my deepest sympathy. You really are courageous to keep going in such awful circumstances. flowers

I, too, feel I don't really fit in here - mainly because I am really busy and usually manage to miss what is going on. Despite that, I really love popping in for a visit. I join in if I want to and just watch what happens at other times. Also, I usually pick the less exciting threads and then discover some enormous battle going on somewhere else or something equally exciting happening that I missed.

There are people who post lots, whom I feel I know quite a bit about, and others who pop in and out who I find it easy confuse with others. confused

I think it's true to say that each of us has a 'cross' to bear in one shape or another (yours seems enormous) and when we ask for help or support it is freely, though virtually, available. Greatnan and I also got really good fashion advice! smile

You seem to have integrated well if you have been to some of the parties, I am too shy to turn up myself. blush

Please don't feel that you don't belong and use GN to help you when you need it.

I hope you are feeling more positive today. sunshine

Ariadne Thu 10-May-12 09:00:44

Good morning, Nellie! How are you today? It is very grey here in Kent, though I did see a ray of sun just now. I hope you do too, literally and metaphorically. sunshine

You know, out of the thousands of GNs, I don't think there are that many who actually meet up. I seem to remember a thread some time ago on which many people said that it was the anonymity of Gransnet that they appreciated. I know I do, though it doesn't rule out the possibility of meeting someone!

Just be sure that you are among friends here. Promise you!

Mishap Thu 10-May-12 09:06:06

Hello there nellie - sounds as though you were having a bad day - I hope today dawns a bit brighter for you.

Everyone on here has a different contribution to make and I never feel a sense of "cliqueiness" (is there such a word!?) - it is clear that some people know each other online better than others but that's OK; and I had no idea that some had met up in the flesh - that drifted by me!

You are of course welcome here, as I feel everyone is - and I have enjoyed your contributions. I think when we are feeling down we demand more of our friends (both online and in the flesh) and that is fine - so demand away! Lean on everyone here during this down patch - and then you can celebrate with everyone when you are feeling better - we can all be happy about that together!

I have lost the plot on the "parties" - it seems to involve being by the computer more than I am able to - so I let those go by. I think you can join in as you wish - don't feel left out - keep posting!

Annobel Thu 10-May-12 09:14:45

Dear nellie - you are such a strong woman but even the strongest tree bends in a storm. Anyone can have a wobble. Don't feel 'left out'. This is a place where we can share with each other things we often don't feel able to say to our closest relatives - precisely because we don't 'know' each other. A year on from joining GN I am hoping to meet some other gnetters soon and, to be honest - and I hope they don't mind my saying this - have been a bit ambivalent about losing my anonymity. I believe virtual friends can become real friends and time will tell. If I lived anywhere near you I would willingly meet you, but as far as I know you aren't anywhere near Cheshire. So, please, nellie, keep on posting. We laugh with you when you are being 'the life and soul', so why should we not empathise with you when you feel low? ((((hugs))))

GoldenGran Thu 10-May-12 09:15:27

nellie everyone has a wobble now and again, and you have had a bad time,Gransnet is a very sympathetic place on those occasions,so don't ever stop posting, we really are here for each other. As for getting together, I have never met up with anyone, I would love to and if anyone comes to London and wants to meet up,that would be great. I have only sent 1 private message and had 1 back. it is easy reading posts to feel people are in a club that you are not a member of, but I don't think that it is true.flowers

nelliedeane Thu 10-May-12 09:34:31

Morning to all my lovely GN friends am feeling [embarrased ]for giving away my vulnerability, in real life I am the thread that holds a lot of people together and life and soul of the party ,I am a rock for many people,friends,family,and neighbours,we have made a new life for ourselves,but my DS and kerry,and other family remain in Essex. My D.D died 8 years ago, my first D.D died over 30 years ago.My D.D had bought GD a necklace for the last christmas she lived(she died 3rd january) she scrimped and saved for it,we put it away for when she was old enough to wear it,at 13 we gave it to her a few weeks ago,and she has lost it,she is heartbroken as she dosent have any other momentos of her ,and her loss is just really a dawning realisation of what she is missing.
I have been working towards a goal of being self employed as a registered childminder after 8 years of not working....6 years through the High Court and my bill alone of £250.000...fathers was same meant that we couldnt work we had to be publicly funded....that has all been dashed now as I cannot obtain funding to begin....so Nellie is having to rethink......just all got too much last night.....missed all the partying for GN birthday as OH lovely niece got married and all family including myDS was there unfortunately Kerry is ill at the moment,but we all caught up next day......so onward and upward Nellie lives to fight another day.....and counting my blessings for what I do have,thank you all for your kind words and support...it is kind of cathartic being able to offload.....one of my blessings is GN so hugs and flowers for all of you.
[bold]Ariadne it is grey,gale force winds and peeing down in Norfolk smile

GoldenGran Thu 10-May-12 09:37:44

Nellie, you are a star, a fighter and a strong courageous woman(((hugs)))

AlisonMA Thu 10-May-12 09:43:21

Hi Nellie I hope you are feeling better today. I've been on GN for just over a week and you seem much more integrated than I am. I'm sending you a virtual box of tissues with bluebirds on and a big box of chocs!

It sounds as if you were the life and soul of the virtual party, seems I missed that. I think it will take me a while to get involved properly but I have been joining in some of the more controversial posts anyway.

I don't think I will be meeting anyone in the flesh as they all seem to be in the north or the south and I'm in the middle!

nelliedeane Thu 10-May-12 09:57:08

thanks for tissues Alison and the choccies are lovely....just what nellie neededxxxx

whenim64 Thu 10-May-12 10:12:02

nelliedeane flowers

Faye Thu 10-May-12 10:14:23

nellie you have certainly had more than your share of tragedy. We are always here to listen if you need to have a chat! sunshine flowers

Annika Thu 10-May-12 10:51:09

nelliedeane I haven't met up with any one on here ...yet, I feel too insecure to meet up with anyone at the moment.
I love popping on and off here , I dip into the odd not odd as in nuts, oh I dont know though wink thread.
I feel Ive made some good friends on here, there is always someone with a few kind words and also many, many laughs, just take a look at the "this made me laugh" thread smile
So nelliedeane please dont think you will not fit in. I did ! shock
Keep posting we all look forward to hearing from you flowers

whitewave Thu 10-May-12 10:54:30

Pleased to read your morning post Nellie - onwards and upwards!!