Gransnet forums

AIBU

The Fisherman's Ring means you have a butler?

(7 Posts)
absentgrana Fri 01-Jun-12 13:53:36

nanaej I have no doubt that the Pope does have a PA but I bet he doesn't look after the wine (and silver). grin

Blessed are the poor for they shall inherit the Earth …
or maybe it's just lower case earth in the form of a 6-foot deep hole.

Nanban Thu 31-May-12 20:37:47

I think the whole panoply of the Catholic church is as far removed from the teachings of that very simple person, Jesus, as it is possible to be. It surrounds itself with pomp and circumstance all paid for by their congregation, and jealously hoarded at the expense of the poor who need it.

merlotgran Thu 31-May-12 19:56:10

I've been wondering where Paul Burrell disappeared to.

nanaej Thu 31-May-12 16:33:55

I am sure he has a load of servants! If the butler was called a PA would it be different? [hm]

Nelliemoser Thu 31-May-12 15:17:10

Maybe our negative reaction to this news is because of the rather seedy conotations in Britain of the phrase "what the butler saw".

HildaW Thu 31-May-12 14:51:54

The poor old thing needs propping up whereever he goes, methinks he has a lot more help than just a butler!

absentgrana Thu 31-May-12 14:49:24

Am I being completely naive and/or unreasonable to be shocked to learn that the Pope has a butler? (He, the butler, was recently arrested for leaking Vatican secrets.) I don't expect the Pope to wash and iron his own frocks but somehow his having a butler seems awfully louche and self-indulgent.