Gransnet forums

AIBU

Doctor's strikes

(81 Posts)
Nelliemoser Thu 31-May-12 16:39:57

I think I agree that they seem to be being rather greedy when you hear just how much pension they will end up with. They are relatively well paid for the job they do.

nanaej Thu 31-May-12 16:39:12

Life is tough, I do not need telling! When I am ill I want to know I have the best medical care I can have. I do not want all our best doctors going to places where remuneration is better. ps I am not, nor are any of my family, in the medical profession!

Bellesnan Thu 31-May-12 16:36:12

With you on that AlisonMA. My husband didn't have a choice in the private sector - just pay more into your pot, he was told!

AlisonMA Thu 31-May-12 16:33:25

I think it is a bit tough when so many people in the private sector have had to go through the same. How many in the private sector have final salary schemes? How many will have to work longer? How many haven't had a pay rise for some years?

Yes, I do know it is hard when you have to pay more into your pension to get less in the end, it happened to me and now I get RPI increases on what I paid in before the change and a max 2 1/2% on what I paid in since.

Life is tough, get over it.

nanaej Thu 31-May-12 16:31:25

Everyone in this country has the hard earned right to withdraw their labour. In many parts of the world this is not possible and people are exploited. I am not suggesting that doctors are exploited in UK but if they feel they have a legitimate claim and have followed the rules regarding strikes I think they have the right to do so.
I may not always agree with all the reasoning behind strikes but I will always defend the right to do so.

shev123 Thu 31-May-12 16:24:00

Is it just me or are Doctor's being unreasonable striking? They get £50k pension and are going to inconvience lots of people who will have to cancel operations. I don't know anyone who has had an opertaion cancelled but there has to be people out there. At a time of national austerirty they rae doing better than most other in the NHS. It just seems unfair. What do you think?