Gransnet forums

AIBU

Help to A & E..any ideas please!

(38 Posts)
glammanana Fri 01-Jun-12 23:00:19

AlieOxon agreeing with pompa on this one if it turns out to be less serious then all the better but she should be seen asap,how old is she ?

jeni Fri 01-Jun-12 21:44:46

Quite! Bladder and bowel problems are "red flag" in neurological ocabularuy!
In other words URGENT!

pompa Fri 01-Jun-12 21:40:53

Call 999 and lie !!!. Add a few symptoms that they cannot ignore. I once badly injured a knee cartilage, My Doc phoned the hospital and told them it was probably broken !. When I asked why he had said that when he had just told me it was a torn cartilage, he said they have to see you immediately for a suspected break, a cartilage could take months and the worst they could do was to call him an idiot. ! So even Doctors exaggerate to get their patients seen.

AlieOxon Fri 01-Jun-12 21:22:53

Thanks Jeni.

jeni Fri 01-Jun-12 21:12:54

She may have bruised L1 nerve exit. I would recommend a nisaid cream and something like brufen overnight! If she has a bruise, I would think she probably has muscle spasm. But if you are worried or any bowel or bladder problems call 999 and don't take no for an answer!

AlieOxon Fri 01-Jun-12 20:56:54

No loss of b or b control.
Numb area on the front of her left thigh near the top, about hand size

Bruising between hip and spine left side of back - I haven't seen this and she's vague, can't see it properly herself she says.
(She apparently had a play fight on Tues in a play pool, I wasn't there, she doesn't know how it happened....)

jeni Fri 01-Jun-12 20:49:29

Oh I do!im not counted as medical as I'm retired and away from my home ground!
999is the only way I'm afraid. They won't like it . But with the nhs as it is they have to expect these calls.
Has she any urgent symptoms?
Eg loss of bladder control or bowel
Numbness in the lower regions?
These definitely are an emergency!

AlieOxon Fri 01-Jun-12 20:39:23

St Johns answered and said 'could be quite expensive' and to ring 999.

So, looks like I get to her place in the morning and then ring...

AlieOxon Fri 01-Jun-12 20:25:13

Jeni, I don't think you realise how little pull us non-medical people have....

If no joy from email to the St Johns, I will try in the morning - no way do we want to be there on a holiday Friday night!

AlieOxon Fri 01-Jun-12 20:11:10

Will do - thanks.
Any other thoughts still welcome.......

jeni Fri 01-Jun-12 20:10:44

Call gp. Insist on home visit. Tell them you can't get her to hospital ! INSIST DOCTOR OR AMBULANCE COME!

pompa Fri 01-Jun-12 20:09:59

Try your local St John Ambulance. When I was a member we helped with transport.

AlieOxon Fri 01-Jun-12 20:03:53

I've been trying to find out if I can get some help in getting my daughter to the JR A&E to be checked out for damage to her back...she is still in great pain and can only lie on her front and has great difficulty in moving at all....

She's only been seen very briefly by a doctor who did actually visit and gave her Tramadol injection and Tramadol tablets, which don't seem to be doing very much
Now she's told me she has a bad bruise on her back which wasn't seen by the doctor, probably not visible at the time...I haven't seen this...
I would take her in the car tomorrow, but I don't think she can get in!

I've rung available numbers and the best offer is a return call from NHS direct - in four hours time!