Gransnet forums

AIBU

The Pageant

(39 Posts)
Supernan Mon 04-Jun-12 10:52:14

I thought the BBC coverage if the pageant yesterday was lackluster and the commentators seemed to have little or no knowledge about the boats that were in it. One example of this was the Havengore. The BBC were interested one of Prince Andrew's daughters taking photos on her mobile, no mention of the history of the boat & the fact that it took Winston Churchill's coffin down the Thames. The MTB102 which took Churchill & Eisenhower to review the boats for the D Day landings & then had a part in the Dunkirk evacuation - a good close up photo, but not a word about what we were seeing. Every Dunkirk Little Ship has a story to tell, but not a mention. In fact we hardly got a glimpse of them. The working boats - a snapshot of our industrial past - no details, no comment. The BBC focused on the man powered section, and it was great that there were some olympic medalists in there. But to me this pageant was about our history. We need our grandchildren to know this history & the BBC did not tell it. A wonderful opportunity missed.

nanaej Wed 06-Jun-12 20:22:52

Money POGS Money! You may feel you pay a lot of fees to BBC but it won't be nearly as much as the Sky budget!

And please..Murdoch is behind it all so it will have a political slant!!

POGS Wed 06-Jun-12 21:16:48

Are'nt they going to a maritime museum along with other bits and bobs from the pageant

j04 Wed 06-Jun-12 22:09:35

"I’m only surprised he didn’t compound matters by referring to Her Majesty as William and Harry’s “Nan”" grin

The above from this article this article

j04 Wed 06-Jun-12 22:12:16

Bit mean to criticise Matt Baker's suit! grin

Though he wasn't really right for the job.

j04 Wed 06-Jun-12 22:12:37

He can only just about get by on the One Show.

Annobel Wed 06-Jun-12 22:32:11

However, he is a very good dancer smile and has a pleasant personality. Country File is very much his comfort zone. When he grows up and shakes off Blue Peter, he will develop into a better broadcaster. Hopefully less hyper than his fellow BP veteran, Richard Bacon.

absentgrana Thu 07-Jun-12 10:41:28

Apparently, most of the experts on the boats, history of the Thames, historical river pageants, etc. assembled by the BBC were never called on to speak. One who was, was asked questions unrelated to his area of expertise. What an insult to the intelligence of the viewer that fiasco was.

GoldenGran Thu 07-Jun-12 11:45:10

It was terrible and just ridiculous that they apparently had the experts there but used people like Ferne Cotton i instead. Am married to someone who loves everything to do with boats, and we tried to go and see itourselves, but we had the GC with us so went home and watched it. He had been really looking forward to it, after we will never seen the like again, and was outraged by the way the BBC presented it, it was a disgrace.

ameliaanne Thu 07-Jun-12 13:36:13

For the first time in (my) history, I gave up on the BBC very quickly and changed to Sky News for the Jubilee Pageant coverage. I normally don't watch Sky News because of the ads but they kept those to a minimum too thankfully. Where was a Dimbleby type on the BBC?? Sky was just perfect and they knew when to be quiet too, not filling in all the time with inane chatter, using wonderful aerial shots instead. I even resorted to their coverage on the Tuesday too. flag

POGS Thu 07-Jun-12 13:53:41

nanaej. Actually I've found a certain respect for Sky News, especially it's coverage of News International and Leveson. It has never defended nor shielded the coverage and that is why I now tune in and find it better all round from the presenters to content. It could have been partisan but to it's credit it has not been, unlike some media outlets who are running their own agenda.

FlicketyB Fri 08-Jun-12 14:02:27

Well, they shouldnt have designed seating that was so reminiscent of the The Beckham's Wedding Thrones.

Ella46 Fri 08-Jun-12 15:52:03

POGS I agree about Sky news, I think they do an excellent job and I always watch in the morning when I get up. The ads are a bit of a nuisance but that's when I make another cuppa! grin [cuppa]

Ella46 Fri 08-Jun-12 15:53:09

brew oops