Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to expect the BBC to use good English

(38 Posts)
Barrow Fri 08-Jun-12 14:18:56

I have noticed the standard of English used by the BBC has become very sloppy - the latest being a reporter on local radio this morning reporting on the high winds that "flags are almost being teared from the flag poles" instead of torn!

I do find the more mistakes I hear the more irate I get (yes its official - I have become a grumpy old woman!)

nanaej Fri 15-Jun-12 15:00:50

an hospital or a hospital

an hostess or a hostess

Life is sooo complicated confused

Bags Fri 15-Jun-12 15:15:52

I've always pronounced the h in hotel and I always will, except when I'm speaking French. If people want to be snooty about it, let them. Doesn't bother me because a hotel is not wrong.

Anagram Fri 15-Jun-12 15:18:10

Agreed, Bags! Same with 'historic'.

Annobel Fri 15-Jun-12 16:13:31

Ours is a language in which the 'h' is not silent; therefore, there is no reason to put 'an' in front of words beginning with it, even when they are the same as French words such as hotel.

Daisyanswerdo Fri 15-Jun-12 16:28:08

Annobel, have I misunderstood? What about 'an honourable conclusion', 'an honest answer'?

Annobel Fri 15-Jun-12 16:31:00

OK, Daisy, you've got me - honestly, you 'ave!

Daisyanswerdo Fri 15-Jun-12 20:23:59

Now I feel like a 'orrible pedant . . . blush

yogagran Fri 15-Jun-12 21:10:37

I really sympathise with anyone trying to learn English - it surely must be ones of the most difficult languages

Shadylady Thu 21-Jun-12 22:44:23

Hello I'm very new here, but I must stick my oar in here. I hate the current trend of saying Haitch. There is only one 'h'
in the word.

Greatnan Fri 22-Jun-12 05:42:03

I am another 'an hotel' user, but I really don't object to 'a hotel' either. English has lots of examples of silent aitches - you pays your money and you takes your choice!

Mamie Fri 22-Jun-12 08:21:05

I think I might write "an hotel", but pronounce the h when I say it. I certainly wouldn't say "the 'otel", but I would say "the 'onourable". Isn't it more about where the pronunciation has shifted?

Mamie Sat 14-Jul-12 08:05:15

Seb Coe on Breakfast this morning is talking about a problem with recruitment and "retainment". Retention, Seb, retention.....