Gransnet forums

AIBU

do you still have paper statements ? or online?

(26 Posts)
bikergran Fri 08-Jun-12 15:57:57

hello again all.smile after my last thread (wills. sorting paperwork out etc)
my bed is strewn with various card statements/bank statements/water bills/telephone/etc etc etc ......I do have online statements for most of them but yet still seem to be reluctant to let them all go paperless (although would cut down on the post and constant sorting out of old statements etc) but then I worry if my comp is down and I cannot access internet also of course fraud!
"Have you! gone completely paperless" ?? also I think my bank charges if you want a copy of a statement.....
ok time for a brew and cupcake

tanith Fri 08-Jun-12 16:06:34

I get a credit card statement once a month and most of the rest is paperless, although I think I also get a yearly statement for most of the utilities and the bank even though we are paperless for monthly statements. The only other things that comes through the door is the Council tax annually and tv licence statement telling me what the new DD payment will be for the next year.. I've never needed a bank statement in the many years I've been online banking. If I did its only a couple of £'s for one.

Barrow Fri 08-Jun-12 16:24:08

Although all my banking is done online I still prefer to receive paper statements. This is because when my late husband had his business we needed the paper statements and I have just kept them going.

I know what you mean Bikergran, I am currently going through all the old paperwork we kept for the business and which is no longer needed. I have even come across old electricity bills going back to 1974 (don't think I need to keep those any more!!). I am shredding as I go, although I double check everything before it goes in the shredder as I am worried I may shred something I need to keep!

bikergran Fri 08-Jun-12 16:36:37

ok thanks all........I will be having a bonfire at my dads allotment.thanks again

GoldenGran Fri 08-Jun-12 16:39:03

I still get paper statements, I don't bank on-line, but have pressure from DH to do so. I have had occasional stolen identity problems, so I feel it is time to get rid of that paper. Am shredding as we speak!

vampirequeen Fri 08-Jun-12 19:45:47

I have a mixture of paper and online. Depends whether I'm offered online.

glammanana Fri 08-Jun-12 22:42:22

I am still with some paper bills,I pay phone/tv/bband by DD and get on line statement every month but they send paper bill every 3 mths.Utilities are paid DD and paperless but can be accessed on line so a mixture of the both really,I tend to only keep enough money in the bill accounts to pay the DDs and keep our savings accounts off line.

absentgrana Sat 09-Jun-12 10:55:33

I am self-employed so have to keep detailed records of just about everything for years for tax purposes. Consequently, I have shelves of carefully filed bank statements, household bills, office expenses, my invoices, etc. At the beginning of each tax year, I shred the oldest stuff.

glassortwo Sat 09-Jun-12 11:49:46

Mostly online with the odd thing still paper, it does take a while to get used to them not landing on the mat.

Annika Sat 09-Jun-12 11:54:00

bikergran I have some paperless statements, but if I need a paper "copy"of any statements I can print them off via my pc or (if I am low on ink) I can go to the bank and print them off there at no charge to me.
I know that this is not possible at some banks or indeed if you happen to live out of the city centre and your local bank has closed sad

JessM Sat 09-Jun-12 11:59:07

Oh the miseries of paperwork. I am spending time today changing passwords after the Linkedin debacle. I have also left Linkedin which is a relief.

AlieOxon Sat 09-Jun-12 12:17:01

I'd rather do paper, and do...but not very well. Since last year when I broke my wrist - and actually couldn't open an envelope for a while - things have gone to pot as regards filing........
...I have a very bad habit now of not opening letters, which isn't helped by the fact that half what I get through the door is rubbish...and I know I should open that too just to make sure that there is nothing in it that can be used for identity fraud!

goldengirl Sat 09-Jun-12 13:07:13

A bit of a mixture. I like online banking because it's so easy and you can flip easily between current and past statements. I'm still a bit queasy though about having everything on line though.

Grandmanorm Sat 09-Jun-12 13:09:31

JessM how did you manage to leave Linkedin please? I have tried and even e-mailed them but no joy. I even told them as I was over 70 I would be of no use to anyone, still no reply. I only joined years ago as some nephew asked me to although I think, in retrospect, he just wanted my address to bulk up his numbers!!!

bikergran Sat 09-Jun-12 13:21:11

Grandmanorm I have just unsubscribed from Linkedin...if I remember I think I scrolled down to the bottom of one of their msgs and somewhere it had either unsubscribe or I don not want to recieve firther notifications etc..just have a scroll down and look around Im sure thats how I did it...smile

JessM Sat 09-Jun-12 13:40:15

Certain amount of squinting and swearing grandmanorm - its well hidden.
Log on and go to your HOme. Hover your cursor over your name at the top LHS of screen. "Settings" should appear as an option and that takes you into some menus which includes leaving. Cant go back and check this, as I am no longer a member grin

FlicketyB Sat 09-Jun-12 16:39:47

Get statements online - but then print them out. Dont trust banks since I helped an elderly lady with a financial mis-selling case and found that the Bank advisor had been sending her hand written letters so that they wouldnt get on her file. The letters weren't on headed note paper.

susiecb Sat 09-Jun-12 17:08:22

I'm all on line banking everything no paper statements so no nasty beige envelopes and paper cluttering up the desk.

Ariadne Sat 09-Jun-12 18:05:14

We have everything online too, but all this reminds me of the CDs I can't bring myself round to throw out, even though all the music is on the iPod and we use a dock to play it! Just in case...

nanaej Sat 09-Jun-12 18:14:13

Oh I must get into online banking..I could if I just got on with it..but would have to admit I cannot quite remember which PIN is for which account and ask for new ones! i am trying to persuade DH to put all music on to iPod & get a dock system and speakers through the house..would release quite a bit of space!! First I have to get him to do something with his vinyl confused

tanith Sat 09-Jun-12 18:47:38

nanaej don't be too quick to dispose of vinyl my son tells me that vinyl is back in , he's just bought a deck to play his newly acquired collection on.. he told me everything sounds so much better Mum. I thought hmmmmm I think I could of told you that , but I kept quiet. Maybe I'll get my records back out of the loft, maybe I've found a good home for them..

misunderstood Sat 09-Jun-12 19:50:02

I look on-line at my statement but also receive paper ones, the reason being I use to only check mine on-line but I once needed a statement and the bank could only go back so far and had to send to head office for the one I needed and it was such a farce so I now get one each month and save them for at least a year before shredding them

Ella46 Sat 09-Jun-12 20:01:04

I feel quite ancient now after reading all these posts but, I don't bank online. I wouldn't feel safe. I worked in a bank for ten years and I like to see everything in writing.hmm
blush

nanaej Sat 09-Jun-12 20:35:56

tanith oops.. DH got rid of deck when we moved last summer confused

Grandmanorm Sun 10-Jun-12 12:14:13

Thank you Bikergran and JesseM I have managed to unsubscribe from Linkedin, although as you say JesseM it took some time, and I consider myself quite good on computers!!! It was indeed in settings, but one did have to look closely for the unsubscribe bit, then answer numerous questions as to why one was leaving. I told them I was too old to bother with them :0