Gransnet forums

AIBU

A new rant- Olympic tickets.

(15 Posts)
Oldgreymare Sun 10-Jun-12 11:29:48

As a fond Granny, I pictured myself shepherding my two excited GC into seats at the Olympic stadium where we would watch, with awe and delight, as athletes demonstrated their prowess. It was to be a 'once in a lifetime' experience.

FAT CHANCE!

Try as I might, I have failed!

I spoke to a friend yesterday whose daughter ( who lives and works in Finland) had obtained tickets.

This raises yet another question:
Are applicants from outside G.B. given preference?

I watched a documentary a few weeks ago which exposed the allocation of tickets and realised then that unless:
a) I had pots of money,
b) I was 'corporately entertained',
or c) I dropped in by helicopter disguised as a member of the Royal Family, I stood virtually no chance of acquiring a ticket.

I am a very disgruntled Granny!

absentgrana Sun 10-Jun-12 11:33:23

I think your best bet would have been to buy them from a website in another EU country. It was just a straightforward transaction with no hanging around for ages to find out if you had obtained tickets and what events they were for. As an EU citizen, you would be completely legit. You could still try that route – I have no idea whether there are tickets still available.

glammanana Sun 10-Jun-12 11:39:06

OGM and so you should be disgruntled,the amount of tickets left is vast and according to the media some have still to be offered to the public,prices ranging from £20-£790.00 who on this earth would pay such a stupid amount of money,it was mentioned that that a lot of corporate companies have not bothered to apply for tickets and the organisers have been left with egg on their face which is not surprising.I feel that the extra tickets should be given to schools for children to attend for free after all it surely is the one and only chance many of these children will have the opportunity to view such an event.

Anagram Sun 10-Jun-12 11:40:53

Fat chance of that, glamma! It's all about profit for the lot of 'em! angry

glammanana Sun 10-Jun-12 13:06:04

I still think that there will be a very large amount of tickets not purchased and it will be disgraceful if they where not used,but I do see what you mean anagram they would rather have empty seats I think than let the general public have them for free or a reasonable price.We will never find out how many tickets where not sold either the powers that be would not like to proved that they got the whole thing wrong in the first place.

Anagram Sun 10-Jun-12 13:15:56

I hope I am proved wrong, and they do give the spare tickets to deserving parties - at least it would show a bit of goodwill on the organisers' part and put them in a better light. I doubt it, though....hmm

nanaej Sun 10-Jun-12 14:23:22

They won't want empty seats! Who says they are not selling..have not kept up with Olympic news... on 2nd round application we got 8 tickets 4 for semi final of footie 2 for canoe event and 2 for volleyball.
The process did not seem the best I must say but then I am not charged with managing it! Have no idea if GB residents got first pick or if all competing nations got a certain amount etc and all went on sale at same time. It must be a logistical challenge to make sure that tickets are available to all competing countries and to try to outdo ticket touts and others on the make. Easy to criticise when not actually doing the job and when not knowing all the requirements of the Olympic organisation...

Anagram Sun 10-Jun-12 15:50:42

We're certainly not the only ones criticising the way the tickets have been allocated and sold, nanaej, many of those with far more inside knowledge than we have.

gangy5 Sun 10-Jun-12 17:03:55

It appears that the sale of Olympic tickets has been a complete fiasco. It will be interesting to see how many empty seats there are.

vampirequeen Sun 10-Jun-12 19:02:40

A local travel agent is advertising one night in a plus a day at the olympics from £999 to £1499. Who has that kind of money?

nanaej Sun 10-Jun-12 19:22:45

anagram certain newspapers etc have been anti olympics so always sceptical about the slant of stories. I am not defending ticket sales as I have had friends and others who have said it was a difficult and complex process for them but aware that I always got people thinking they could do my job better than me.....

Anagram Sun 10-Jun-12 19:27:03

That's interesting, nanaej - I wasn't aware that any newspapers are or have been anti-Olympics. Certainly there has been a lot of criticism of the ticket sales fiasco both in the press and on TV, which is I suppose where most of us get our information from! It's very hard to read/watch all that and think 'Ah, but there must be more to it than that, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.'

nanaej Sun 10-Jun-12 20:24:31

I think that there is all the press focus on predicting the games as a disaster about to happen : transport, cost, food, tickets etc etc. Which of course they may be! That would be sad after all the investment. I am not, by the way a sports fan but more a media watcher.. how much happens due to media manipulation?

Oldgreymare Mon 11-Jun-12 09:14:41

nanaej... the 'big' investors will be laughing all the way to the bank, too commercial to name them here, but you can look them up.
I read an article online this morning entitled 'Gridlock Games', and yes, the press are forecasting problems. Not just the press, the 'organisers' are asking that as many people as can work from home to ease the burden on transport into and around London!
I tried to buy tickets from a travel company, it seems part of the deal is watching the marathon in the Mall, in a paid seat! hmm

nanaej Mon 11-Jun-12 09:27:44

Hmm! OldGM it does not seem right that tickets have gone to travel companies..though depends if they are allowed to increase the face value of the ticket. Though they will simply add profit by making travel etc expensive sad

Not sure what the solution would be confused