Gransnet forums

AIBU

Football

(95 Posts)
petallus Sat 16-Jun-12 08:28:04

We have a problem in our house with football. Husband records various matches and then wants to watch them later on the tv. The tv is in our large comfortable living room. Most nights he seems to be waiting to watch a match and I don't find it easy to sit and read with the match on so I go to bed early (there's not really anywhere else to sit). Last night I went into the living room about 9 pm to find husband sitting watching football. He insisted on turning it off because I was going to leave the room. So then I feel guilty and sit in the with husband who puts some music on and sits there chatting in a half hearted way but I know he is waiting for me to go to bed so he can get on with his viewing. On these occasions I end up going to bed earlier than I usually would. I did so last night. This morning I got up and walked into the living room to find the football on. Turned round to walk out and husband switched off the football but looking hard done by and I felt guilty again.

He says I don't want him to watch football and we've just had a row and he has stormed out before we could have any kind of discussion about how to resolve this increasingly stressful situation.

We only have the one comfortable sitting room, then a tiny study and the bedrooms. Am I being unreasonable in a) not wanting sport on tv all the time and b) wanting to be able to talk about it reasonably. Husband will probably now sulk for hours.

Don't be kind to me Gransnetters. Tell me what you really think.

What a rant!

Anagram Mon 18-Jun-12 16:56:21

Ah! That'll teach me to check before I post! grin Thought it was a bit much, even for the BBC!

AlisonMA Mon 18-Jun-12 17:34:34

Petalus why now after 45 years? Is this a new thing with him or has he always been like this?

DH and I used to have 'words' about football but we have both mellowed. He cooked me a special meal and missed the footie one night last week as a thank you for my understanding and then I watched the England match with him. Mostly I read while he watches or he goes to his study and watches a smaller TV if I have something I really want to watch. It has taken us 44 years to get to this understanding!

DH and DS3 really want me to watch the match tomorrow as they think I affected the score last time! If they win I'm in big trouble as then they will want me to get a season ticket to watch their team!

AlisonMA Mon 18-Jun-12 17:35:26

I have an idea: watch with him and keep asking stupid questions. That should put him right off!

Annobel Mon 18-Jun-12 18:06:16

He could spend a whole 45 minutes explaining the offside rule! grin

Ariadne Mon 18-Jun-12 18:19:04

We are more a rugby family, so the football isn't on. And the rugby only seems to go on for a weekend or two. and I really don't mind test match commentary on in the background. (Ooh, Michael Holding's voice!) There is always "Wheeler Dealers" etc, though.

But, although there is a TV and Virgin box in the bedroom, like you, I tend to fall asleep. So I use the iPad (but used to be the laptop) in the sitting room, with my very good earphones. Works well.

Mind you, does he do that when I'm watching something? No. Ah well.....You can lie down with iPad or laptop, and..fall asleep.

glammanana Mon 18-Jun-12 18:24:47

petalus sympathies being sent to you,I have moved DH into the bedroom to watch any matches as I have a decent sized TV in there also,I bought a nice squashy cushion so he can sit comfortably on my wicker bedroom chair so problem solved,I have put up with football for years what with having 2 DSs who are avid Liverpool/Tranmere fans and 5 DGSs who also like the game so sorry mr.glamma there you will stay until the games are finished.grin

yogagran Mon 18-Jun-12 18:38:32

Could you supply him with a pair of headphones so that he can see the match and only he can hear it. I know they can be very annoying when they "leak" the sound but at least you wouldn't get it at such volume

petallus Mon 18-Jun-12 19:21:09

AlisonMA The football/sport in general conflict has been going on for years but I don't remember so many matches being played and televised in the old days. Also, I've been feeling and being a bit more assertive of late about such matters.

I did my original post in a strop after a row but doing so and getting such helpful replies has had a calming effect and I am resolved to try to be a bit more mellow, in fact I might even try to take an interest in tomorrow's match (a stiff drink would help).

I could easily start another thread on being a golf widow but I'll save that for later.

Thanks everyone.

Hattie64 Mon 18-Jun-12 20:15:10

My grumpy old man and I have come to a understanding. I will move into our comfy sitting room at 9p.m. and switch channels, I do allow him to flick back occasionally. Kind of me isn't it!!! Tomorrow will be different, I know he loves the footie, but even he admits to getting bored by it. We also have another set in another room, quite comfy as well, which I will watch something that he loathes, cookery programmes etc. I have found though that there is not really much to watch at the moment anyway.

kittylester Mon 18-Jun-12 20:15:33

Good luck, petallus! grin

anma Mon 18-Jun-12 20:27:14

Hattie i agree theres not much on tv just now. The tv companies must think we all like football, as the alternative is repeats hmm

Learnergran Mon 18-Jun-12 20:43:52

Petallus, Yogagran has given you the perfect solution - give DH some headphones, he can listen to the commentary in peace and you can do whatever you like in peace - and comfort! No need for any problems.
OR - horrors - you could learn to love the footie!!! I did and really enjoy it now; in fact I prefer to watch it without DH so I'm not disturbed grin

crimson Mon 18-Jun-12 21:46:59

I was married for 30 years to someone who hated watching sport [was happy to run or ride bikes, but not watch it], but my partner now watches racing, football, cricket, tennis etc and it's so nice to have someone to watch it with. For years I just watched it on my own.

nanaej Mon 18-Jun-12 22:41:25

My DH is a footie fan but only of his club and of attending matches. this messes up social planning as matches do not neatly happen at 3:00p.m. on a Saturday afternoon anymore! To fit in with TV scheduling they happen at all sorts of different times all over the weekend and some weekday evenings. They also change after original scheduling so I am never sure from August to May if DH will be home Makes it tricky to plan going out /inviting pals over etc and he gets a bit grumpy if I arrange something on a match day (confused)

Pete Fri 22-Jun-12 18:21:20

petallus another testing night for you on Sunday smile Enjoy grin

petallus Fri 22-Jun-12 20:58:01

Can hardly wait Pete - thanks!

glammanana Fri 22-Jun-12 21:18:58

Then we just have to get through the pain of Wimbeldon and The Olympic Games then maybe we can get back to some sort of normality.wink

Bez Sat 23-Jun-12 11:47:41

Those of us who have Welsh TV and S4C have far more rugby than the rest of the country I think- don't have to be in Wales we get it here in France too - and there is that much rugby on all through the season it is similar to there being a world cup on all the time! I hate it all but must confess I do know a few names of players - any of the male members of the family round and it's the main subject of conversation -you can block out lots of the commentary with the headphones but you cannot block out the shouting at the ref and the leaping up when a point is scored.
I have the laptop and headphones so I can watch other program's but of course they are behind time AND you cannot watch iPlayer when not in UK - like now and I missed the last episode of Silk as we were away - hopefully DD has recorded it for me but will need to wait till my next trip home - MUST bring a plus box out here !

Pete Sat 23-Jun-12 17:44:40

glam..you forgot the cricket !...and yes then back to normality with the....Football season again !! grin

nelliedeane Sat 23-Jun-12 18:08:03

OH is not a footie fan..fortunately,he loves F1 and has that on full blast,I have been known to go and sit in the car to hide from it when we lived in a tiny bungalow.
His most favourite sport is surfing...Chanel surfing and fiddling and adjusting,it is so aggravating he sits downstairs I sit in the bedroom as he does like to chatter when I am reading.
It doesn't bother me that we sit in separate rooms as we haven't argued,We have a tv in the kitchen but as I am not that big a fan of tv,it suits us,he comes up to see me and chat and bring cups of tea etc....he laughs when it all goes quiet as he knows I am on here again,we both know where the other is,issues get sorted by talking,I enjoy my space and he has the dog to keep him company downstairs DGD flits about and gets in with me for a cuddle and chat ..sunshine

Pete Sat 23-Jun-12 18:23:07

petallus Whatever happens on Sunday dont tell him "Its only a game" smile

Annobel Sat 23-Jun-12 18:23:55

glamma, I love Wimbledon fortnight and am looking forward to the Olympics. I remember the radio broadcasts of the London Games of 1948 so it will be good to actually see them on screen.

whenim64 Sat 23-Jun-12 18:54:11

My favourite time of year is Wimbledon. Can't wait for Monday!

numberplease Sat 23-Jun-12 19:25:46

LOL Pete, that`s one of my failings, saying that it`s "only a game", somehow he doesn`t appreciate the remark!

petallus Sat 23-Jun-12 19:49:55

Pete I would never say 'it's only a game'

However, when DH is leaping about, swearing, going red in the face etc., I give scathing looks and say (in condescending tones) something along the lines of 'you'd think a man of your age would have grown out of all of this by now'