Gransnet forums

AIBU

Football

(95 Posts)
petallus Sat 16-Jun-12 08:28:04

We have a problem in our house with football. Husband records various matches and then wants to watch them later on the tv. The tv is in our large comfortable living room. Most nights he seems to be waiting to watch a match and I don't find it easy to sit and read with the match on so I go to bed early (there's not really anywhere else to sit). Last night I went into the living room about 9 pm to find husband sitting watching football. He insisted on turning it off because I was going to leave the room. So then I feel guilty and sit in the with husband who puts some music on and sits there chatting in a half hearted way but I know he is waiting for me to go to bed so he can get on with his viewing. On these occasions I end up going to bed earlier than I usually would. I did so last night. This morning I got up and walked into the living room to find the football on. Turned round to walk out and husband switched off the football but looking hard done by and I felt guilty again.

He says I don't want him to watch football and we've just had a row and he has stormed out before we could have any kind of discussion about how to resolve this increasingly stressful situation.

We only have the one comfortable sitting room, then a tiny study and the bedrooms. Am I being unreasonable in a) not wanting sport on tv all the time and b) wanting to be able to talk about it reasonably. Husband will probably now sulk for hours.

Don't be kind to me Gransnetters. Tell me what you really think.

What a rant!

Pete Sun 19-Aug-12 14:35:07

Alison yes it's best after yesterdays result... grin

petallus Sun 19-Aug-12 13:51:36

DH actually yelled out advice which partly contradicted the coach's.

petallus Sun 19-Aug-12 13:50:54

Just got back from 7 year old Gs's match this morning. I understand he will make a good little defender smile

Some of the parents were scary, screaming out advice and getting very worked up.

AlisonMA Sun 19-Aug-12 12:55:01

Pete I won't tell DH what you said as he would be cross all day. As an AV supporter he would not like to hear of the Baggies taking over this thread.

Pete Sun 19-Aug-12 00:47:02

jeni 1968 West Brom 1 Everton 0.
Ella Sorry...Shhhh grin

jeni Sat 18-Aug-12 18:02:26

When was the cup? 60s 70s?

crimson Sat 18-Aug-12 17:18:01

Went to a match one night and it said in the paper the next day it was so cold all the supporters deserved a medal. I wonder what happened to the lad I used to go to the matches with?

jeni Sat 18-Aug-12 17:14:33

I remember that. Ronnie Allen played for them! He bought my grandads barber shop.

crimson Sat 18-Aug-12 17:12:15

Supported them when they won the cup; had a ticket but let someone else who was more keen on football have it but we all went down and spent a day in London. My dad was a Wolves supporter, but my cousins were Blues fans.

jeni Sat 18-Aug-12 17:09:17

Good grief ana does anyone still watch the baggies. I used to watch them with my father, and wolves! I remember watching Billy Wright!

Ella46 Sat 18-Aug-12 16:26:41

Pete there is no need to shout! grin

HildaW Sat 18-Aug-12 15:31:20

Oh I know hes not her Dad, but mine treated us all like that, Mum included! Trouble is she thought it was always best to let him feel he was winning - not a good lesson for us daughters to see but hey ho.
No she should not have to give in every time but marriage is a strange old thing. I'm still a bit of a passive agressive type and hate arguements, I'd slope of upstairs and make the best of it. If this chap has always been this selfish its going to be hard to put ones foot down.

P.S. Other half loathes all aspects of football - not sure I knew this when we married but someone was smiling down!

AlisonMA Sat 18-Aug-12 14:08:06

Hilda but he's not her Dad and it should be an equal relationship. Why should she have to retire to the bedroom and not him?

HildaW Sat 18-Aug-12 13:52:49

Petallas, bit late I know but I'll slag him off. He sounds just like my Dad. Half a century ago he was incharge of the tv and we could only watch what he deemed suitable. When the football results came on we all had to leave the room so that he could concentrate. Its all a bit silly and very selfish. If you can, treat yourself to a little tv upstairs and retire in state in the evening to your boudoir!

AlisonMA Sat 18-Aug-12 13:51:26

petallus I can claim that I have been married to DH for 44 years and still know nothing about football. 3 sons all AV supporters and they are indoctrinating by GSs as well but the only time they will get me to watch will be when/if the GCs play and then I will stand and cheer with the best of them.

I keep being told about all the famous/important people who are AV fans, especially our future king.

petallus Sat 18-Aug-12 13:37:04

I'm going to watch one of my grandchildren play football tomorrow. I'd rather not but he has asked me particularly to go and he's only six.

All four of my grandsons, both sils (one ex) and DH are big football fans (sigh).

petallus Sat 18-Aug-12 13:35:28

By coincidence AlisonMA my DH is also a lifelong Aston Villa fan. He doesn't attend live matches very often since he no longer lives in Brum but he is especially keen to watch all their matches on the big tv. And how could I object to that? grin

I have listened to all the advice on this thread and we now have a somewhat more peaceful household (at least on the watching sport front).

AlisonMA Sat 18-Aug-12 12:00:36

If you have been married for 45 years petallus why had this cropped up now?

I think the answer maybe headphones for you both so that you can share the room and one watch TV while the other uses the laptop but it should be equal. Can't you encourage him to go to some of the games instead?

We have been married for 44 years so are just behind you and we met in 1966 so I should have known what I was getting into! When we retired we moved to Malvern so he was within a sensible distance of Aston Villa and he has a senior's season ticket. Today he has gone to watch a match in London on an AV bus so he left home before I woke and will get back around bedtime. Important matches he watches in the sitting room and less important ones in his study on a smaller TV. Sometimes we disagree about this but not often. I am quite happy for him to record and watch after I have gone to bed. That allows me to read in bed, which he doesn't like, and then he can come up and put my book away and switch off the light. It wors for us. We are lucky that we can be together - or not.

I do hope your compromise works, you must have made many over 45 years.

Annobel Sat 18-Aug-12 11:27:10

Now we're back to the premiership and all its pettiness and infantile behaviour - what a contrast to the impeccable behaviour of Olympic athletes - the joy of medallists and the sportsmanlike conduct of the losers. Ah well, 8-year-old GS is off to watch West Brom playing Liverpool with his grandad, a lifelong fan of the Albion.

crimson Sat 18-Aug-12 11:14:50

I like watching The Masters when it's on. But not for hours and hours of course.

Nonu Sat 18-Aug-12 10:59:17

Banana, that is one of the few sports I enjoy, in moderation of course grin

Pete Sat 18-Aug-12 10:29:04

Ella in a word NO grin

baNANA Sat 18-Aug-12 09:47:30

Occasionally I have the same problem with golf, I am perfectly happy for my husband to play it, but I'm not interested in it myself and particularly hate it when it's on telly as I think it's really boring and hate the droning commentary.

Ella46 Sat 18-Aug-12 08:46:38

Pete do you think the players will behave any better after seeing the Olympic athletes impeccable behaviour?

Pete Sat 18-Aug-12 00:36:23

It's back on !!!!