Gransnet forums

AIBU

What was your favourite toy? when you were a child.

(86 Posts)
bikergran Sat 16-Jun-12 22:08:26

Whilst looking at my GS vast aray of toys/lego/star wars/cars/garages/robots/DS/X box etc etc it got me wondering what my favourite toy was when i was a child (im 56 now)
I think it was a metal cash registar with toy money..i loved playing shops..and I remember it had a " no sale" key on it...its was just like a real cash registar where the pounds/shilling and pence used to pop up when you pressed a key.also had a Muffin Th e Mule....(wish I still had them now, as would be collectors items)>>>.

Gally Tue 28-Aug-12 22:59:35

Ooooh the trikes with boots! I was desperate for one but they were more expensive so instead of a red trike with a boot, I got a blue one without. I always wanted a swing too, but had to wait until I had my own children grin

kittylester Tue 28-Aug-12 17:19:02

My brother had a red trike with a boot which he filled with stones he picked up along the way. There were so many stones that the trike wouldn't move and he had to walk back home to get dad to go and fetch the trike.

annodomini Tue 28-Aug-12 15:05:36

Now I feel deprived, my huge black trike didn't have a boot, though I did have a basket on it. It was bought second hand in the depths of the war when such things were almost unavailable. My mum knew everyone in town and everyone knew her which was how she came to hear that the local taxi driver cum bike shop owner had one for sale.

jeni Tue 28-Aug-12 14:57:58

I had a blue trike with a boot.

Marelli Tue 28-Aug-12 14:40:13

I had a red trike with a boot, too! My black pot-headed doll was called Sambo (hopefully after the book, Little Black Sambo, but it was the early fifties), and another black doll called Trudy. A dog on wheels with a handle that I learned to walk with - his name was Willy-wow-wow....but not a lot of people got to know that (until now) blush

vegasmags Tue 28-Aug-12 14:31:45

Those trikes with a boot were wonderful Anagram - mine was red. I can't remember quite what I used to put in it, but it was always full. I wish they did a grown up version - but perhaps they do!

Anagram Tue 28-Aug-12 12:45:52

I had a trike with a boot too, vegasmag! It was blue...
I do think giving/throwing away toys without a thought for the child is unkind. Children get very attached to certain toys, even though the grown-ups think they ought to have grown out of them.

vegasmags Tue 28-Aug-12 12:12:32

I had an elephant with red satin trousers, called Jumbo, bought with a postal order that my Grandma had sent for my birthday. I loved him dearly and would take him to school every week when it was toy afternoon in the top infants. I also had a stuffed dog and a beat up old trike with a boot - the kind you could ride until you were about 8. I still haven't got over the shock of coming home from school when I was 6 to find that my mum had given away my dog and trike to the children of a friend of hers. When I protested I was told off for being selfish. It sounds ridiculous, but I really grieved for the loss of my toys.

kittylester Tue 28-Aug-12 11:35:48

Gally and Ella - I too had a black doll called Susie! One of my brothers broke her thumb off and I was really upset to find she was white inside. confused

Ella46 Tue 28-Aug-12 09:22:12

Gally I had a black doll called Susie, loved her to bits. I wonder if they were the same?

Gally Tue 28-Aug-12 01:21:42

Teddy Brown and Teddy Growler, Belinda a doll with hair (which I cut off so she had to go to the Doll's hospital for a transplant!), Rosemary a crying baby doll, Susie a black doll and Tinker Toy - wooden things with holes in them.

numberplease Mon 27-Aug-12 23:55:43

Fillygumbo and Anagram, I had a garden of sorts as well, but mine was paper and thin cardboard, it would have been around 1950.

Marelli Mon 27-Aug-12 23:10:00

peaches, I used to get a Rupert annual from my grandma, too. One of my old aunties made me a doll - it was a black doll, and she gave him a beige cotton suit, his limbs being made from black thick stockings which were stuffed with kaypok (sp). His head was 'pot'. I loved him to bits. smile

peaches41 Mon 27-Aug-12 20:20:54

I have no memory of having any toys, but I always got a Rupert annual from my grandma and Beano and Dandy annuals at Christmas. I never had a doll or teddy that I can recall.

My sister was born when I was seven, and can remember being so jealous that she had a doll, and I'm now in my late seventies and my bedroom has got quite a few dolls and teddies in it!

whenim64 Tue 24-Jul-12 08:07:04

Reported for advertising on multiple threads

Micheal Tue 24-Jul-12 07:59:27

Message deleted by Gransnet.

harrigran Mon 23-Jul-12 23:18:26

My father made all our toys, cot, desk, chair,ironing board and airer and even a washing machine and wringer. I think my favourite was the pedal car that he made from metal and painted red, something special in 1947.

Anagram Mon 23-Jul-12 22:15:51

Number, please disregard my post! blush
Just realised I've responded to a post on the first page of this thread by fillygumbo, but never mind, hope she sees this.

Anagram Mon 23-Jul-12 22:13:10

Oh number! You have brought back such memories - I'd forgotten all about that garden, I loved it! I'm 61, so perhaps it was only available for a short time, but those little shrubs and flowers!! Thanks for that smile

numberplease Mon 23-Jul-12 22:01:01

Paper dress up dolls with paper clothes, kept me occupied for hours.

Ella46 Mon 23-Jul-12 18:05:31

Hi Marilyn welcome to the madhouse! I'm sure you'll soon get the hang of posting on all the threads smile

marilynclare Mon 23-Jul-12 17:31:18

That was supposed to be posted somewhere else! I'm new and making mistakes! :-(

marilynclare Mon 23-Jul-12 17:29:10

All of my children had a blanket except one who had, and dragged with her everywhere, a little pillow. They were a source of comfort for a cranky child so bless those blankies and pillows! :-)

marilynclare Mon 23-Jul-12 17:25:37

I had a doll house I played with by the hour. I had a family of tiny dolls; just the mother and 3 children! No dad doll could be found! I sewed for the family and made curtains and rugs. I still have the furniture and my husband made me a little house a few years ago. The furniture was made by Renwal and it was so cute. The little drawers opened. The frig opened. The sewing machine needle actually moves up and down. I had very few toys and this was special. The first room of furniture I bought was for the bathroom! That may seem odd but at the time we did not have a bathroom (rural Iowa 1940's) so that room was one I must have longed for the most!

kittylester Sat 23-Jun-12 21:20:28

when my boys (!!) aged 41 and 39 in September both still have a teddy and a panda, respectively. The 3 girls have revolting blankies - yuk!