Gransnet forums

AIBU

DIL problems advice needed

(58 Posts)
carol123 Thu 21-Jun-12 01:40:38

Son met DIL when she was 18 she was lovely and everyone loved her in our whole family - a kind caring v nice person. 8 years later they had a baby boy Son got made redundant when baby was 5 months old so she returned to work early from maternity leave and he stayed home caring for the baby. Then he had an affair with an old girlfriend. She told us she thought he was seeing X and he admitted it. We were all gutted and our whole family condemmed him for it - none of us knew what was going on.

They kept it together but she changed. Slowly she turned the child against him telling him daddy was mean spiteful nasty horrible. Then she would give the child anything dad said he couldnt have or do Child was 2years by now. Then son copied and did the same - so child is now quite disturbed ie badly behaved irritable agressive to other kids.

Time passed and she got pregnant again - didnt even tell son she thought she was pregnant just left the positive test on the worktop for him to find They have now moved across the other side of town just around the corner from her mum and sister. She never bothers to visit our extended family any more - previously she was best friends with son's aunts cousins etc very close almost part of their families too. She rarely visits us just sends son with the kids. Daughter went to visit (rang first and she just let her in then sat in the other room saying to son 'when is she going' until daughter left. She arranged for niece and aunt to visit then was out when they got there When we tried to visit she was too busy tied up for 2 days etc said she would get back to us but never did.
When she had the first baby we bought her a layette over £200 worth of baby things - she was so pleased and greatful. We took over another for the new baby - she just said oh shov it in the back room I'll have a look later never even said thankyou.
And the worst of the lot every time we buy a present for grandson it dissapears and she goes out and buys him the same. Its the same if anyone in our family buys him anything. Wierd I know but we have seen it so many times now - clothes toys anything she duplicates it herself.
Will it ever improve - should we cut all ties I dont know what to do.

Even on Fathers day she stopped son from going for a meal with me OH daughter other son and girlfriend. They were both invited and the kids but she had to see her father and go to his home instead ( she only sees her dad twice a year as she hates him) I think she hates all our family Cant believe she uses the child to spite son and the effect this has had on the child. Any advice

Nanban Fri 29-Jun-12 07:13:20

johanna - I've just picked up that you are from Holland - some searching from friend to friend literally across the globe, and we discover very recently that our son is working in The Hague and most likely wife and children are there somewhere too. What do we do with the information now we have it? Do we go camp out on the office doorstep? Do we send letters, parcels hoping the children get them - we have never had a response to anything sent so far? Are the laws in Holland any different from here with regards to families and access?

johanna Fri 29-Jun-12 10:00:55

Nanban,
I have not followed the access thread on here.
Will try and read it later, and then find out for you what I can.

Greatnan Fri 29-Jun-12 12:05:30

Thank you all for your kindness and support. When I was living with my daughter I asked her to get help for her addiction but she told me she didn't want to as she liked the way it made her feel. My greatest worry now is for the children as she will use anything she can to make them stay at home and care for her.

johanna Fri 29-Jun-12 17:55:58

nanban

Still waiting for e-mails to get back to me.

johanna Sun 01-Jul-12 18:39:27

Hello nanban.
Well the news is not good I am afraid. There does not seem to be much difference between England and Holland with regard to access for grandparents.
Except for a fairly recent law which states that at the time of divorce when visiting rights are established ,that should also include's grandparents.

When that is not adhered to the grandparents will have to go to court.

I learned something else. In the E.C.H.R there is a children's charter and one of the articles states that every Government has the obligation - this is under the welfare of the child - to see that the child knows all the family, unless there are circumstances which dictate otherwise. ( Very simplistically put ).

Last but not least, I fell into a forum run by a therapist dealing with family matters.
She said: " Grandparents who are denied access must not be passive. Keep sending those cards and presents etc. etc. And whatever else you can do. Do not give in. Ever. "

Nanban Sun 01-Jul-12 19:58:36

johanna - marvellous of you to find out so much! I will certainly follow up on the ECHR - if someone out there has taken the trouble to ensure it is included, then there is hope. As for the therapist forum - we, until very recently, didn't know where they were - we have sent packages, letters, messages to our son's last work address; a parcel via a work colleague [who then wanted not to be involved] and nothing ever gets acknowledged. You might, others might, say give up, he obviously doesn't want to know, you must have done something really bad. I promise we have only done good things and the problem lies with the personality of our DiL. We were a small, loving and supportive family who never in our wildest nightmares saw this coming - if I could believe differently, it would make life easier. We did apply to family arbitration/conciliation, but unless they agree, it goes no further. We are convinced that the babies are being used as a weapon between they two - do this or else; who would not sacrifice a parent or two to that. But all guesswork. If only there was a 'legality' [not the right word I know] that gave us rights to access, the weaponry could not exist. The situation would have a basis for improvement.

Sorry, waffled on. And all to say thank you.

soop Thu 05-Jul-12 15:59:22

Nanban I cannot give you advice. I can only send my love and warmest wishes for a resolution to the ongoing sadness that you have no control over. Please keep strong. ((hugs))