Gransnet forums

AIBU

DIL problems advice needed

(58 Posts)
carol123 Thu 21-Jun-12 01:40:38

Son met DIL when she was 18 she was lovely and everyone loved her in our whole family - a kind caring v nice person. 8 years later they had a baby boy Son got made redundant when baby was 5 months old so she returned to work early from maternity leave and he stayed home caring for the baby. Then he had an affair with an old girlfriend. She told us she thought he was seeing X and he admitted it. We were all gutted and our whole family condemmed him for it - none of us knew what was going on.

They kept it together but she changed. Slowly she turned the child against him telling him daddy was mean spiteful nasty horrible. Then she would give the child anything dad said he couldnt have or do Child was 2years by now. Then son copied and did the same - so child is now quite disturbed ie badly behaved irritable agressive to other kids.

Time passed and she got pregnant again - didnt even tell son she thought she was pregnant just left the positive test on the worktop for him to find They have now moved across the other side of town just around the corner from her mum and sister. She never bothers to visit our extended family any more - previously she was best friends with son's aunts cousins etc very close almost part of their families too. She rarely visits us just sends son with the kids. Daughter went to visit (rang first and she just let her in then sat in the other room saying to son 'when is she going' until daughter left. She arranged for niece and aunt to visit then was out when they got there When we tried to visit she was too busy tied up for 2 days etc said she would get back to us but never did.
When she had the first baby we bought her a layette over £200 worth of baby things - she was so pleased and greatful. We took over another for the new baby - she just said oh shov it in the back room I'll have a look later never even said thankyou.
And the worst of the lot every time we buy a present for grandson it dissapears and she goes out and buys him the same. Its the same if anyone in our family buys him anything. Wierd I know but we have seen it so many times now - clothes toys anything she duplicates it herself.
Will it ever improve - should we cut all ties I dont know what to do.

Even on Fathers day she stopped son from going for a meal with me OH daughter other son and girlfriend. They were both invited and the kids but she had to see her father and go to his home instead ( she only sees her dad twice a year as she hates him) I think she hates all our family Cant believe she uses the child to spite son and the effect this has had on the child. Any advice

soop Thu 05-Jul-12 15:59:22

Nanban I cannot give you advice. I can only send my love and warmest wishes for a resolution to the ongoing sadness that you have no control over. Please keep strong. ((hugs))

Nanban Sun 01-Jul-12 19:58:36

johanna - marvellous of you to find out so much! I will certainly follow up on the ECHR - if someone out there has taken the trouble to ensure it is included, then there is hope. As for the therapist forum - we, until very recently, didn't know where they were - we have sent packages, letters, messages to our son's last work address; a parcel via a work colleague [who then wanted not to be involved] and nothing ever gets acknowledged. You might, others might, say give up, he obviously doesn't want to know, you must have done something really bad. I promise we have only done good things and the problem lies with the personality of our DiL. We were a small, loving and supportive family who never in our wildest nightmares saw this coming - if I could believe differently, it would make life easier. We did apply to family arbitration/conciliation, but unless they agree, it goes no further. We are convinced that the babies are being used as a weapon between they two - do this or else; who would not sacrifice a parent or two to that. But all guesswork. If only there was a 'legality' [not the right word I know] that gave us rights to access, the weaponry could not exist. The situation would have a basis for improvement.

Sorry, waffled on. And all to say thank you.

johanna Sun 01-Jul-12 18:39:27

Hello nanban.
Well the news is not good I am afraid. There does not seem to be much difference between England and Holland with regard to access for grandparents.
Except for a fairly recent law which states that at the time of divorce when visiting rights are established ,that should also include's grandparents.

When that is not adhered to the grandparents will have to go to court.

I learned something else. In the E.C.H.R there is a children's charter and one of the articles states that every Government has the obligation - this is under the welfare of the child - to see that the child knows all the family, unless there are circumstances which dictate otherwise. ( Very simplistically put ).

Last but not least, I fell into a forum run by a therapist dealing with family matters.
She said: " Grandparents who are denied access must not be passive. Keep sending those cards and presents etc. etc. And whatever else you can do. Do not give in. Ever. "

johanna Fri 29-Jun-12 17:55:58

nanban

Still waiting for e-mails to get back to me.

Greatnan Fri 29-Jun-12 12:05:30

Thank you all for your kindness and support. When I was living with my daughter I asked her to get help for her addiction but she told me she didn't want to as she liked the way it made her feel. My greatest worry now is for the children as she will use anything she can to make them stay at home and care for her.

johanna Fri 29-Jun-12 10:00:55

Nanban,
I have not followed the access thread on here.
Will try and read it later, and then find out for you what I can.

Nanban Fri 29-Jun-12 07:13:20

johanna - I've just picked up that you are from Holland - some searching from friend to friend literally across the globe, and we discover very recently that our son is working in The Hague and most likely wife and children are there somewhere too. What do we do with the information now we have it? Do we go camp out on the office doorstep? Do we send letters, parcels hoping the children get them - we have never had a response to anything sent so far? Are the laws in Holland any different from here with regards to families and access?

johanna Thu 28-Jun-12 20:29:05

P.S greatnan
Should have said : you are coping with it instead of using last tense, and admirably so.

Nanban Thu 28-Jun-12 20:20:25

I am so sorry Greatnan for all your troubles. We all think our personal troubles worse than the next but standing helplessly by, whilst someone you love is on a self-destructive path is truly terrible. The only comfort I can offer is that you will always find us all here ready to listen and be true friends.

johanna Thu 28-Jun-12 20:03:44

greatnan
You said that your unconditional love achieved nothing.
You are so right.
When people push the self destruct button, nothing can stop them.
And they will do anything to try and drag those close to them into the abyss.
Their abyss .
The little country which I am originally from- Holland -, have been advising people who have addicts in their family to throw them out. Not that they ( Holland ) know everything.
But even when said addict is only a teen ager , if they do not wish to rehabilitate they have to go. It may seem harsh, but one addict destroys a whole family.
Obviously, you know this, and have coped with it.

petallus Thu 28-Jun-12 18:32:58

Greatnan I think you're brave, your daughter is lucky to have you there still loving her and being ready to help if you can in an appropriate way, even if she doesn't appreciate it at the moment. flowers

yogagran Thu 28-Jun-12 18:30:24

Hugs and kind thoughts of sympathy for you Greatnan

nanaej Thu 28-Jun-12 18:08:11

flowers & {{hugs}} to all of the grandparents not able to see your DGC or DC for what ever reason. I feel so very lucky and privileged.

Greatnan Thu 28-Jun-12 17:33:55

My unconditional love for my daughter and three of her children has achieved nothing. She is now asking her daughter and her partner for money although she has a reasonable income. I think all her accusations were just an attempt to get money out of me too but even if I could afford it I would not enable her to buy more drugs. She has started to insist that the two boys at home (28 and 21) pay her some board money. I think they should (one is unemployed but gives her all his JSA, the other is at college but has a weekend job and gives her half). I am hoping they will finally see that she has a serious addiction problem, as her eldest daughter has.
I am afraid addicts have no conscience - they will neglect their children, beg,borrow and steal from their family to buy their drug of choice.
My only hope is that she will reach rock bottom and be hospitalised - otherwise she is going to die or end up in a psychiatric ward or prison.
If she shows the slightest desire to contact me, I will welcome it, but I can't ever give her money now I know what she does with it, so she will still be very angry with me.

soop Thu 28-Jun-12 13:20:58

Nanban You are so wise. I truly believe that unconditional love will always find a way through a family crisis. flowers

Nanban Thu 28-Jun-12 12:37:29

Dreadful, terrible, unbearable but you must never stop grabbing at any straw and keep trying whatever the personal cost. And you son must never believe that his lovely boy doesn't love him, he must continue to love him unconditionally and it must come right in the end.

I can never thank you lovely lot on gransnet for all your loving thoughts and support.

HildaW Thu 28-Jun-12 12:12:50

Carol such a mess, I do hope that your DIL can find other ways to sort her life out. She sounds a bit like an addict who has to hit rock bottom before she sees the damage she is doing. I can understand your son finding ways of being out of the house but its probably not the best solution. (Once again easy for others to say). In an ideal world you all need some family councelling. There used to be such services about to help families but suspect what with cuts etc etc. There is an organisation called Home Start that is used to support families with children under 5 going through any sort of problems. I think referals come through HV or Drs. It gives a Mum or a Dad an impartial ear and support to help them through tough times.

HildaW Thu 28-Jun-12 12:00:48

Nanban, no I dont suppose you do. Am so sorry. flowers

carol123 Wed 27-Jun-12 23:33:35

I think what I find so hard to deal with is the fact she did everything to turn the little boy against his dad and for a while it worked he started to hate his dad and say really nasty things to him. Now he does the same to her so she hasnt gained really. My son took up a hobby at weekends which takes him away from home at least one full day 7 - 7 sometimes both weekend days and I think its probably because he saw it that the little boy didnt love him or want him around. You see my dad did similar to me so we are going way back here - he got custody of me and drummed it in that my mum was bad crackers etc even said she was dead at one point ( she actually had a breakdown probably due to domestic violence from him) I didnt see her for 8years he stopped all access. I hated him for it and always will. And now I can see her doing similar to my little grandson it really gets to me. Why cant adults just fight their own battles instead of using kids as weapons?
I really think I have disliked her since the day she sat here with grandson 18mths telling him over and over again daddys bad daddys spiteful daddys nasty u hate daddy dont u Mummy is your best friend. Me and my daughter didnt comment we were too shocked.

whenim64 Wed 27-Jun-12 20:32:09

Nanban flowers

Nanban Wed 27-Jun-12 20:25:59

I don't function, I get through the days - barely. There is nothing I wouldn't try to find my son and grandchildren, it is all I think about. But I am not Carol and not standing in her shoes so many of us banging on about her having to placate her DiL maybe tough for her.

nanaej Wed 27-Jun-12 07:59:16

carol Maybe that was DiLs olive branch. Benefit of the doubt would be my response because of the potential future opportunities. Phone and offer to look after your DGS for her and everyone is a winner. Good luck flowers

HildaW Tue 26-Jun-12 17:08:33

Nanban, I think I would jump through any hoop to retain the wonderful relationships I have with both my daughters and my two GC. If I felt that for any moment I would loose it I dont think I would be able to see straight let alone function. You are hardly 'laying it on thick'.
Thankfully, apart from a couple of blips when my elder daughter was younger (and I was more than happy to bite my tongue and wait it out as she sorted herself out - though it was dreadful at the time) I have been blessed. You have every reason to tell us that we should be very careful to treasure what we have. I hope that you find some resolution.

Nanban Tue 26-Jun-12 16:59:16

We 'Out in the Cold Grans' may be laying it on a bit thick for Carol - it is so easy to hand out advice but we don't stand in her shoes. Sorry Carol.

maxgran Tue 26-Jun-12 14:21:35

My DiL is exactly like that - and my son has never had an affair or done anything else against her!