Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect some consideration

(33 Posts)
Barrow Mon 25-Jun-12 14:17:16

This morning I received an email from a friend. It was one of those "round robin" emails which say you have to pass it on to at least 5 people or you will get 3 years bad luck. I have sent it back to her saying I am surprised she sent it to me as I have already had my fair share of bad luck having been widowed some months back.

She has said that I am over-reacting and that it is just a bit of fun. She knows how I feel about this type of email and that I would never send it on.

Now I am prepared to accept that I may be feeling a little fragile but shouldn't she have considered my reaction to that email? It has caused me to think about our friendship and whether I want it to continue. We only meet up if I contact her first, unless she has split with the latest boyfriend and needs a shoulder to cry on. In the past if I got exasperated with her my husband would make a funny comment and the feeling would pass. Now I feel that by sending this email knowing I wouldn't pass it on is she wishing me bad luck (I said I was feeling fragile!).

jeni Tue 26-Jun-12 15:52:27

Where we're you at school?

maxgran Tue 26-Jun-12 15:59:19

My step grandson gets these sort of thing on facebook. He always does what they tell him to and told me it scares him and he has to 'obey' just in case!
I have told him to just delete them but he is too scared.

Its one things for kids to send these things - but I cannot believe adults would be that daft. Its sad.

MaggieP Tue 26-Jun-12 18:02:26

School was in Middlesex

JessM Tue 26-Jun-12 18:35:13

That is awful maxgran - how old is he?
They are not supposed to have Facebook pages until they are... I think it is 13. But many are allowed to. Big pressure to be one of the crowd.
If these are school friends sending him these, then the school can quite justifiably get involved. They should have an ICT use policy and lessons on the subject - teaching children to stay safe online and to highlight that online bullying is not acceptable, whether it happens in school hours or not.
This is a kind of intimidation and should be banned or discouraged. Unless young teens are told not to do it, they will think it is fine.
Most workplace policies expressly forbid them.
So my recommendation is for this parents to speak the school about this.

jeni Tue 26-Jun-12 18:50:57

Just wondered mine was Staffordshire.

Maniac Tue 26-Jun-12 19:58:52

I've had 2 batches of Herman which I thoroughly enjoyed as did my friends -but I always ask them first if they want to participate -don't just send it!
With chain emails I ignore /delete first one.If I get more I send a reply asking them not to send any more as all my friends dislike them so no-one to send them to.

maxgran Wed 27-Jun-12 15:53:28

JessM,.. He is 14 - but I think he has been on facebook for longer than a year !
I just saw one on his facebook page again today - Its a zombie type girl and it says 'I live under your bed - I won't go until you share this with 5 people'

He is a sensitive boy who worries about things. I have tried talking to him but he is obviously too scared not to carry on sharing them.
I told him he should be more scared of me than those daft sharing email messages - He laughed.