Gransnet forums

AIBU

It's that man again!

(38 Posts)
jeni Tue 26-Jun-12 17:48:54

My next door neighbour has an air rifle. He is using it to shoot pigeons, squirrels etc:
I looked out this morning to see a dead squirrel on my lawn. I phoned angel next door to moan and she swore it couldn't have been him as he hasn't had the gun out and she's been there all the time!
A. Couple of moments later he rang to say it had been him at 7am. It had been a clean shot in his own property. He came removed the corpse.
I am very fed up. I do not like any kind of gun or shooting!
He is shooting within 12ft of a public road, but apparently it is legal on his own property as long as he is not creating a nuisance!
I think dead animals in my garden constitutes a nuisance.

What do you lot think?

Grannylin Tue 26-Jun-12 17:53:09

I think that is very provocative jeni and admire your restraint in just writing here about it. Being slightly hotheaded, I dread to think what I would have done. What a nasty piece of work.

jeni Tue 26-Jun-12 18:01:12

His wife dislikes him shooting as well. She didn't know he was doing it. She's bigger than him!grin
I'm afraid I think that he's lying about where he shot it. If it was a clean shot in his garden, how did it end up the other side of an 6ft hedge in my garden, a distance of about 50ft away!

Butternut Tue 26-Jun-12 18:07:08

This is not good, jeni. sad
He IS creating a nuisance!!
Presumably you have checked the laws, but what do the Council/Police have to say?

Annobel Tue 26-Jun-12 18:07:27

Doesn't shooting at 7am in a built-up area constitute a nuisance? I don't know how noisy an air rifle would be.

nightowl Tue 26-Jun-12 18:15:25

I agree with Butternut and I would be checking with the Police and Council (sorry if you have already done so). I'm sure it can't be legal to be firing an air rifle in a residential area. It must be a powerful air rifle to kill wildlife. What an unpleasant experience.

Stansgran Tue 26-Jun-12 18:18:25

Hope it wasn't a red squirrel

Bags Tue 26-Jun-12 18:18:31

Does the angel apologise, or get her darling husband to apologise when something like this happens?

Anagram Tue 26-Jun-12 18:24:03

It's not the angel's OH is it? shock

johanna Tue 26-Jun-12 18:33:35

... They are Hell's Angels......

jeni Tue 26-Jun-12 18:37:43

It's the angels oh. No he does his own apologising when he does but he doesn't.
He reckons he's quite legal. The law says only illegal when constituting a nuisance, what's that?
The rifle doesn't need a licence as its under 12psi.
It was a grey squirrel so legally vermin.
The trouble is I don't want to get in inter neighbour disputes. If I tell police I think it's a nuisance and they agree it's a possible custodial sentence and an up to £5000 fine.
This would upset angel and anyway they have no money,which is why I paid for the drain blockage which ended up as being on his property.

I think he's nutty!

Annobel Tue 26-Jun-12 18:39:04

I am pretty sure he is, Anagram. Makes it more difficult for jeni.

gracesmum Tue 26-Jun-12 18:44:34

You could point out the potential penalties I suppose, but if he is such an unpleasant character he probably wouldn't take much notice. HOWEVER.....before you next have little GD to stay he has to undertake NOT TO USE IT, OR YOU WILL GO TO THE POLICE. It reminds me of the nasty incident I had a few months ago with neighbour from hell with the Rottweiler. Niot a lot gained, but the thought of the grandchildren even witnessing such a thing is scary.

jeni Tue 26-Jun-12 18:51:53

He knows them. He's just unreasonable!

Butternut Tue 26-Jun-12 19:03:01

He sounds like a bully to me and knows you would rather not complain, jeni.

Mishap Tue 26-Jun-12 19:09:18

Sorry to hear all this - I think you are right to try and avoid getting into any more conflict with neighbours than is absolutely unavoidable.
I cannot imagine the idea of a flying dead squirrel - a corpse leaping fences defies the law of physics!
I wish you good luck with all of this and hope it can be resolved somehow.

johanna Tue 26-Jun-12 19:25:07

On the other hand Jeni, maybe you are lucky it is an air rifle with under 12 PSI
and not a bottle of Champagne he is trying to shoot off, which has over 90 PSI.
grin

jeni Tue 26-Jun-12 19:36:09

No I do that! He's a rotten aim with a cork. I'm quite good!grin

Anagram Tue 26-Jun-12 20:00:54

Maybe you should shoot a couple of champagne corks at him from the bedroom window when he's in his garden, jeni! See how he likes it! grin

Maniac Tue 26-Jun-12 20:22:58

That's horrible jeni.I hate shooting also even if squirrels/pigeons are a nuisance .Why can't he just shout 'Shoooo'
What a pity Gary wasn't there.He could have lobbed it back into your neighbour's garden.
I found snake in my garden last week ! It turned out to be a rubber toy one must have been thrown over by neighbour's grandchildren.I threw it back had a word with neighbour's OH next day.He apologised and said it had scared him earlier.
Saw mouse running across my patio recently.Not happy about that as l like leaving door open. What to do?

Gally Tue 26-Jun-12 20:35:04

I have a friend whose garden is plagued with squirrels. Her painter and decorator traps them and drives them across the river and lets them free on a golf course about 40 miles away!! Unless they learn to swim they have to stay there (actually I don't think it's legal to trap them, but at least they aren't being shot)
Maniac if I saw a mouse I would be off up the road and wouldn't go back until someone had 'done the business' - I hate them - or worse still rats [shriek emoticon]

jeni Tue 26-Jun-12 20:44:33

Mice don't bother me! When I was at boarding school we heard screams comming from the house mistresses room. Her cat had caught a mouse. She was standing on a chair!
Fearless jeni dashes in, grabs mouse.
Mouse climbs up its tail and bites brave Jeni's pinkie.
Not showing any pain, brave jeni goes outside and evicts aforesaid rodent.
Very grateful HM who insisted brave jeni went to GP next day!
Still on my medical records!
blush

Anagram Tue 26-Jun-12 21:04:00

Well done that girl! grin
Must admit, mice don't bother me - we've had a few that got in through a tiny gap in the utility room wall and regularly made a beeline for the porch where OH keeps the birdseed and nuts. I saw one out of the corner of my eye as it made a false turning into the dining room and dashed out again! We have sealed up the hole and haven't seen any sign of them since.

But rats are another matter entirely....[yikes! emoticon]

Annobel Tue 26-Jun-12 21:06:14

This was Mallory Towers, was it, jeni?

jeni Tue 26-Jun-12 21:18:43

The Friary School Lichfield.
We were all expected to be Ladies (or nuns)
Hats, gloves, grey lisle stockings and jolly old lacrosse!