Gransnet forums

AIBU

It's that man again!

(38 Posts)
gracesmum Tue 26-Jun-12 18:44:34

You could point out the potential penalties I suppose, but if he is such an unpleasant character he probably wouldn't take much notice. HOWEVER.....before you next have little GD to stay he has to undertake NOT TO USE IT, OR YOU WILL GO TO THE POLICE. It reminds me of the nasty incident I had a few months ago with neighbour from hell with the Rottweiler. Niot a lot gained, but the thought of the grandchildren even witnessing such a thing is scary.

Annobel Tue 26-Jun-12 18:39:04

I am pretty sure he is, Anagram. Makes it more difficult for jeni.

jeni Tue 26-Jun-12 18:37:43

It's the angels oh. No he does his own apologising when he does but he doesn't.
He reckons he's quite legal. The law says only illegal when constituting a nuisance, what's that?
The rifle doesn't need a licence as its under 12psi.
It was a grey squirrel so legally vermin.
The trouble is I don't want to get in inter neighbour disputes. If I tell police I think it's a nuisance and they agree it's a possible custodial sentence and an up to £5000 fine.
This would upset angel and anyway they have no money,which is why I paid for the drain blockage which ended up as being on his property.

I think he's nutty!

johanna Tue 26-Jun-12 18:33:35

... They are Hell's Angels......

Anagram Tue 26-Jun-12 18:24:03

It's not the angel's OH is it? shock

Bags Tue 26-Jun-12 18:18:31

Does the angel apologise, or get her darling husband to apologise when something like this happens?

Stansgran Tue 26-Jun-12 18:18:25

Hope it wasn't a red squirrel

nightowl Tue 26-Jun-12 18:15:25

I agree with Butternut and I would be checking with the Police and Council (sorry if you have already done so). I'm sure it can't be legal to be firing an air rifle in a residential area. It must be a powerful air rifle to kill wildlife. What an unpleasant experience.

Annobel Tue 26-Jun-12 18:07:27

Doesn't shooting at 7am in a built-up area constitute a nuisance? I don't know how noisy an air rifle would be.

Butternut Tue 26-Jun-12 18:07:08

This is not good, jeni. sad
He IS creating a nuisance!!
Presumably you have checked the laws, but what do the Council/Police have to say?

jeni Tue 26-Jun-12 18:01:12

His wife dislikes him shooting as well. She didn't know he was doing it. She's bigger than him!grin
I'm afraid I think that he's lying about where he shot it. If it was a clean shot in his garden, how did it end up the other side of an 6ft hedge in my garden, a distance of about 50ft away!

Grannylin Tue 26-Jun-12 17:53:09

I think that is very provocative jeni and admire your restraint in just writing here about it. Being slightly hotheaded, I dread to think what I would have done. What a nasty piece of work.

jeni Tue 26-Jun-12 17:48:54

My next door neighbour has an air rifle. He is using it to shoot pigeons, squirrels etc:
I looked out this morning to see a dead squirrel on my lawn. I phoned angel next door to moan and she swore it couldn't have been him as he hasn't had the gun out and she's been there all the time!
A. Couple of moments later he rang to say it had been him at 7am. It had been a clean shot in his own property. He came removed the corpse.
I am very fed up. I do not like any kind of gun or shooting!
He is shooting within 12ft of a public road, but apparently it is legal on his own property as long as he is not creating a nuisance!
I think dead animals in my garden constitutes a nuisance.

What do you lot think?