Gransnet forums

AIBU

..to ask for my Mum's engagement ring back?

(40 Posts)
specki4eyes Wed 27-Jun-12 22:20:33

My parents got engaged during the war, just as my father was leaving to join his Air Force post. He had very little money, but managed to buy a pretty ring to give to my mother. She cherished this ring all her life. When the cancer which caused her death had so reduced her weight that she was unable to keep the ring on, she gave it to me.

Fast forward to the day 10 years ago when my son told me that he was going to propose to his girlfriend. He had no ring to give her and so I proferred my mother's ring as a token of his proposal. Within days of their engagement, a 'real' engagement ring was purchased. My DIL-to-be then took my mother's ring to a jeweller to be re-sized and cleaned. She kept it and wore it on her little finger until recently.

Nine years and two children later, she is now planning to divorce my son and is behaving as though he is a hired hand who has served his purpose. This is excruciatingly painful in itself but the fact that she still has my mother's ring is so upsetting. It has very little monetary value but to me, it is precious. What, if anything, should I do?

Faye Fri 14-Sep-12 22:03:20

I am glad you got it back specki

specki4eyes Fri 14-Sep-12 22:23:10

yes thank you all for your responses and janeainsworth you are right, he is a lovely man and quite undeserving of this awful rupture in his life. I pray one day he'll find someone who truly loves him.

you will all laugh at me when I say that I'm now beating myself up about typing "I got woke up". An old pedant like me and I forgot the 'n' smile xx

Grannylin Fri 14-Sep-12 22:27:36

But you've still got your sense of humour specki flowers

Hunt Fri 14-Sep-12 23:30:21

This has really brought a lump in my throat-so glad for the lovely outcome. What a thoughtful son.

yogagran Fri 14-Sep-12 23:34:19

Fantastic news specki, happy for you and I think your DS is extremely thoughtful [hugs]

soop Sat 15-Sep-12 16:05:40

specki flowers

Movedalot Sat 15-Sep-12 16:13:42

Specki Such a good thing to happen. Perhaps she is not so bad after all. I agree that the ring has sentimental value and understand that you would want it back.

I hope this means they are going to be civilised about the divorce and that you won't have anything more to worry about as things move forward.

Ariadne Sat 15-Sep-12 16:45:17

Specki so pleased for you! sunshine

glammanana Sat 15-Sep-12 16:51:07

So so happy for you specki flowers

kittylester Sat 15-Sep-12 16:51:32

Specki flowers

specki4eyes Sat 15-Sep-12 19:57:01

You are a lovely lot to bother posting these comforting words - lately I've been miserably distracted (and also away), but its lovely to be back in the warm world of Gransnet. flowers from me for all of you xx

Nanban Sun 16-Sep-12 10:42:14

I would say that it is up to your son to ask for the ring back. Try not to agonise over it - it is just a thing and you have all your memories. If you got it back, would it not remind you of its most recent past instead of your parents?

medic Sun 16-Sep-12 10:43:08

This all reminded me of a patient who had a large collection of beautiful rings although her husband was not rich. One day I asked her about them and she said they had been inherited from her grand ather and then she added - " he was an undertaker". I could never get this awful thought out of my mind.

Nanban Sun 16-Sep-12 19:01:54

Specki - how right you are and I've just realised that when all else fails, I come onto Gransnet and it's so lovely - always words of comfort, and a warm glow.