Gransnet forums

AIBU

Name tapes

(33 Posts)
Grindos Mon 02-Jul-12 14:26:44

Hi, I'm new to the site today. I looked at mumsnet to find out which the best name tapes are (my granddaughter starts school soon), only to read how much mums hate sewing. I thought to myself "I could do that!" Wondering if anyone else had same idea? Should I advertise at local schools? Would I be inundated and how much should I charge? P.S. I really like sewing and it would give me something to do while my husband plays golf! That sounds SAD, it is a bit, but not as SAD as him being home all the time!

despiseddil Sun 22-Jul-12 17:24:34

Grindos this is a great idea! I am a born-in-the-70's Mum and well, we just haven't been taught to sew have we? I mean, I can do it, but not well....

gracesmum Sun 22-Jul-12 17:24:56

Keep it tasteful though - no Ann Summers pants!! Ironically it was my sister in law who is a very respectable lecturer in costume history who got one of the biggest laughs, she had made a pair of authentic knee length Victorian bloomers, trimmed with ribbons and lace - and (equally authentically) crotchless!!! Of course that is why the can-can was such a truly scandalous dancegrin

glammanana Sun 22-Jul-12 17:43:55

gracesmum it will be very tasteful I can assure you,I have just rung DD who is going to be chief bridesmaid and we are off to Liverpool to-morrow to get some idea's and some material,they still have an Ethel Austins shop over there and I do know that they sell big pants so it will be eventful to say the least.grin thanks again for idea

soop Mon 23-Jul-12 16:55:25

I still have a surplus supply of Cash's name tapes from the time my son was at primary school - circa 1978. It's a mystery how he lost items of his own gear, and ended up with the odd sock or tie or games shirt belonging to another boy! hmm

Cashs Fri 23-Nov-12 02:09:08

Wow, thanks you very much everyone for your kind posts. In Australia we enter our 100 years of weaving nametapes in Australia in 1913. We also produce a iron on woven nametape, these are really good stand up to washing, for added protection all you need to do is sew in the ends. We are trying to educate younger mothers, only sewing the ends saves time but still acheives the same results. We still have napetapes from the 1930`s on file and they could still be used today.

Grossi Fri 23-Nov-12 08:20:15

My mother used to write our names onto ordinary white tape with an indelible marker and then make me and my sister sew them in to our own clothes.

I always wanted my name woven in to the tape! envy

FlicketyB Fri 23-Nov-12 18:08:02

I still have mine, my sister' name tapes from boarding school more than 50 years ago, cursive script, hers in blue, mine in lavender, also for both children.

DS's capacity to loose things made him a legend in his own lifetime at both primary and secondary school. The teacher in charge of lost property at his junior school said his first words whenever anything was handed in was 'Have you asked DS if it is his?' However he did concede when I protested that everything DS possessed had a name tag on it. He still managed to leave primary school less one football boot and his tracksuit bottoms, which went missing never to be found.