Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is a woman's place in the home?

(60 Posts)
BurgundyGran Fri 06-Jul-12 11:37:41

On the Breakfast news this morning there was a report of the discussion surrounding women bishops. A report showed a member of the clergy carrying a placard saying 'A woman's place is in the home.' Personally I find this very offensive. Did they say to Mrs Thatcher she shouldn't be running the country as prime minister, but be at home cooking Denis's tea? Or the other women who are in positions of authority? How do you feel? Do you think women should hold positions of responsibility, or be in the home cooking and cleaning?

jeni Sun 08-Jul-12 14:14:27

She has some theory about them having bigger brains. I think it's the convolutions rather than the size that counts? Anyway I thought size didn't matter. At least that's what men keep telling us!

nanaej Sun 08-Jul-12 14:37:11

Think men do have bigger brains..it's to keep all the useless facts they feel the need to store! Small and efficient brains belong to women!

PRINTMISS Sun 08-Jul-12 15:47:21

I just wonder if, because we have endeavoured so hard to achieve equal rights - never mind superiority - (incidentally I have always said I don't need equality, I have always been superior) - but carrying on.... we have encourage the 'ladette' culture, which seems to exist amongst many young women today?

nanaej Sun 08-Jul-12 15:55:10

Always a mistake to want to BE the same rather than being accorded the same opportunities, respect & value regardless of gender (and all the other isms!!)

vampirequeen Mon 09-Jul-12 12:48:12

I don't think men are superior but I do think men and women are different. Not just on the obvious physical level but mentally too. Now of course this is a generalisation and there will always be men and women who make a lie of the rule but on the whole men tend to be physically stronger and more logical in thought. Women tend to be more intuitive and have stronger language skills. Men and women are equal in that they evolved to create one whole it's just that they bring different characteristics and skills to that whole.

I'm now quaking behind the sofa waiting for the hail of incoming wink

whenim64 Mon 09-Jul-12 13:08:06

Difference and being complementary to each other are fine as long as there is fair division of labour and equal recognition for what each person brings to the relationship and society. I'm happy for stronger people to take on hard psysical tasks at home and I'm sure they don't mind me doing the intricate, fiddly things they find hard. At work, that could be very different, when we have technology and machinery that any gender could use. I struggle to get why men and women confine themselves to certain roles, though, especially when they miss out on the benefits of having done them. I do think that there should be some adjustment for women bearing and feeding babies so that they aren't disadvantaged when they get to retirement age, and this is still evidently not happening everywhere.

feetlebaum Mon 09-Jul-12 13:14:13

What clowns these bishops are -- one is reported (Bath & Wells) this morning as saying that the recent riots were 'spiritual'...

But why any woman would want to be a bishop, a manager in a throughly misogynist enterprise is beyond me. But then, many things are...

soop Mon 09-Jul-12 13:38:20

With you on that one, feetlebaum...

vampirequeen Mon 09-Jul-12 14:09:16

The early church had a lot of female leaders. It was only after a couple of hundred years or so was it decided that women were not suitable.