Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is a woman's place in the home?

(60 Posts)
BurgundyGran Fri 06-Jul-12 11:37:41

On the Breakfast news this morning there was a report of the discussion surrounding women bishops. A report showed a member of the clergy carrying a placard saying 'A woman's place is in the home.' Personally I find this very offensive. Did they say to Mrs Thatcher she shouldn't be running the country as prime minister, but be at home cooking Denis's tea? Or the other women who are in positions of authority? How do you feel? Do you think women should hold positions of responsibility, or be in the home cooking and cleaning?

vampirequeen Mon 09-Jul-12 14:09:16

The early church had a lot of female leaders. It was only after a couple of hundred years or so was it decided that women were not suitable.

soop Mon 09-Jul-12 13:38:20

With you on that one, feetlebaum...

feetlebaum Mon 09-Jul-12 13:14:13

What clowns these bishops are -- one is reported (Bath & Wells) this morning as saying that the recent riots were 'spiritual'...

But why any woman would want to be a bishop, a manager in a throughly misogynist enterprise is beyond me. But then, many things are...

whenim64 Mon 09-Jul-12 13:08:06

Difference and being complementary to each other are fine as long as there is fair division of labour and equal recognition for what each person brings to the relationship and society. I'm happy for stronger people to take on hard psysical tasks at home and I'm sure they don't mind me doing the intricate, fiddly things they find hard. At work, that could be very different, when we have technology and machinery that any gender could use. I struggle to get why men and women confine themselves to certain roles, though, especially when they miss out on the benefits of having done them. I do think that there should be some adjustment for women bearing and feeding babies so that they aren't disadvantaged when they get to retirement age, and this is still evidently not happening everywhere.

vampirequeen Mon 09-Jul-12 12:48:12

I don't think men are superior but I do think men and women are different. Not just on the obvious physical level but mentally too. Now of course this is a generalisation and there will always be men and women who make a lie of the rule but on the whole men tend to be physically stronger and more logical in thought. Women tend to be more intuitive and have stronger language skills. Men and women are equal in that they evolved to create one whole it's just that they bring different characteristics and skills to that whole.

I'm now quaking behind the sofa waiting for the hail of incoming wink

nanaej Sun 08-Jul-12 15:55:10

Always a mistake to want to BE the same rather than being accorded the same opportunities, respect & value regardless of gender (and all the other isms!!)

PRINTMISS Sun 08-Jul-12 15:47:21

I just wonder if, because we have endeavoured so hard to achieve equal rights - never mind superiority - (incidentally I have always said I don't need equality, I have always been superior) - but carrying on.... we have encourage the 'ladette' culture, which seems to exist amongst many young women today?

nanaej Sun 08-Jul-12 14:37:11

Think men do have bigger brains..it's to keep all the useless facts they feel the need to store! Small and efficient brains belong to women!

jeni Sun 08-Jul-12 14:14:27

She has some theory about them having bigger brains. I think it's the convolutions rather than the size that counts? Anyway I thought size didn't matter. At least that's what men keep telling us!

whenim64 Sun 08-Jul-12 13:56:25

Don't hold your breath! grin

Greatnan Sun 08-Jul-12 13:31:36

Good luck with that, petallus!

petallus Sun 08-Jul-12 13:17:35

Some time ago I was surprised to find a letter written by me when I was in my early twenties saying I believed men were superior to women. I've no idea why I thought it but it may have been because they seemed to occupy all the powerful positions in society and had a sort of gravitas and certainty about themselves that women in those days did not have. I think I expected that any future partner would be stronger than I was and take the lead and be wise and look after me.

I have been horribly disappointed throughout my life on this score.

Incidentally, I became a radical feminist in my thirties/forties.

I'd be interested to know why Nonu thinks men are superior. I like to think I'm open to different points of view but I would like some back up in terms of evidence so over to you Nonu

absentgrana Sun 08-Jul-12 10:45:24

Of course, for Christians, the first manifestation of the "the Word made Flesh" was through the medium of a woman. I should have thought this should give women first dibs at a bishopness/bishopicity/bishoptude. grin

On another point, although it may sometimes seem that men and women are different races, they do both belong to the same species.

Greatnan Sun 08-Jul-12 08:27:19

I have just been listening to 'Sunday' on Radio 4, which was mainly about the synod's vote on whether to adjourn the debate about women bishops. One woman asked a very pertinent question: Has the Church of England actually asked its ordinary members if they care about the gender of their bishops? Or does most of the opposition come from men who can't take the competition for the top jobs?

Nonu Sat 07-Jul-12 22:07:36

How do you feel that we as a friend suggested to me the other day we should step out of our comfort zone , or am I being "provocative" hum !!!

whenim64 Sat 07-Jul-12 22:00:17

No, not worth debating when you are just being provocative, Nonu

Nonu Sat 07-Jul-12 21:46:46

As somebody said not really worth the trouble of of a debate we all have our opinions , they may differ , but we are entitled to them You may have a different different idea

nanaej Sat 07-Jul-12 21:33:11

Nonu Men and women can do all sorts of things well and should not be limited by gender stereotypes. I am a feminist but that does not prevent me being happily together, for 41 years, with my DH! I have cared for my children, held down a ft responsible job etc and so has he!

jeni Sat 07-Jul-12 21:28:54

Or certifiable!

whenim64 Sat 07-Jul-12 21:25:49

Anyone who thinks men are the superior race has got to be a bloke!

Greatnan Sat 07-Jul-12 21:20:33

In that case, not worth the trouble of a debate!

Anagram Sat 07-Jul-12 21:18:56

We seem to have had a conversation similar to this before with Nonu.
Nonu, wasn't it you who insisted that men were a superior race?

jeni Sat 07-Jul-12 21:14:08

I'm a widow. Very happy on my own now I've got used to it.
I wouldn't want a man telling me what to do!
I think women are still oppressed and second class citizens!
I have fought against this all my life and will continue to do so!

whenim64 Sat 07-Jul-12 21:12:38

Nonu, are you by any chance a bloke?

whenim64 Sat 07-Jul-12 21:09:00

Same here, Greatnan