Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hobbies

(33 Posts)
ginny Tue 10-Jul-12 10:58:48

I enjoy a number of hobbies including patchwork. Often people dismiss it with a comment such as 'why would you cut up fabric and sew it back together again ? 'Well, each to their own. I don't see what is so interesting about hitting a small ball into 18 little holes, catching a fish and throwing it back or eleven grown men chasing a ball around a field. If they enjoy it, that's fine. It often seem that 'homecrafts' are seen as something done by lonely, old biddies.

What do you think ?

AlieOxon Tue 10-Jul-12 11:24:47

What comes under 'hobbies' ?
(I agree about little balls - or any size balls come to that!)
A relative of mine in South Africa has sent pictures of her absolutely beautiful - and useful - quilts.

I've just painted a wall for the first time since I broke my wrist 18 months ago - DIY is one of mine...this feels like an achievement.

I'm also in the middle of making curtains to keep the evening sun out of my eyes so I can watch TV....never can find curtains I like!

Do any men's hobbies result in anything useful? Or beautiful?

Anagram Tue 10-Jul-12 11:30:05

Woodcarving? (or whittling, as some call it!)

vampirequeen Tue 10-Jul-12 12:25:54

My hobbies include dancing. Doesn't produce anything but I have a great time.

susiecb Tue 10-Jul-12 12:45:16

I like golf, knitting, book group,dancing, walking, National trust, baking, wriring short stories, theatre, ballet, concerts. Used to like sewing but arthritic hands prevent me from holdng the needle.
I dont think you could call Kirsty Allsop a homely old biddy.

AlisonMA Tue 10-Jul-12 13:07:32

Can't knit or sew at the moment as I have tennis elbow but will get back to it when I am better. I knit for anyone who asks at our local woolshop and ask them to make a donation to one of my charities. I have been learning about gardening since we moved here 3 years ago as all our previous gardens only needed mowing and weeding and am having great fun. I like watching cricket and tennis but no other sport.

We have a wonderful theatre here and we go a lot but our passion is ballet and other forms of dance. We have been NT members for many years and enjoy our trips out.

We used to go and see our son at school in Richmond Park and watch people flying their toy planes which seemed a daft way to waste a weekend but then we realised that what we do probably seemed daft to them. Each to his own.

Is pilates a hobby? I go twice most weeks.

glammanana Tue 10-Jul-12 13:26:23

ginny I think that you have a fabulous talent if you do patchwork quilts,it's something I wish I could turn my hand to,I have seen some beautiful specimins that have been handed down through families some of the ones my friend makes are used for charity auctions and they help to raise a lot of funding for the charities concerned and they always raise a massive revenue.Well done you smile
I love my gardening and although we do not have a large front garden I enjoy seeing my plants coming on during the summer months and each year add something differant to the collection,this year I have planted strawberry and blackcurrant plants and they are showing promise so maybe next year we will see some fruit ? not sure how long they take to produce.

artygran Wed 11-Jul-12 01:28:57

I think I have gone a hobby too far, having added fly fishing to painting, learning to play the piano, walking, bird watching, knitting and gardening. DH thinks I'm potty but he's very indulgent - thinks it's a flash in the pan (probably not a fish in the pan!) I wish I could sew but I've never been any good at it.

FlicketyB Wed 11-Jul-12 09:12:07

We used to be dingy sailors. One wet miserable day as we were driving to the sailing club to take part in a race we drove past a golf club. Looking at the golfers DH commented 'What sort of sad sacks play golf on a day like this'. My reply was 'The same sort of sad sacks as go sailing on a day like this'.

I was born into a family of talented needlewomen. Unfortunately I was the one member born with the desire to be creative but with 10 left thumbs and I was put off handcrafts by all the family members who tried to 'help' me by pointing out all my mistakes. However the family talent may have missed me but DD inherited it big time and is far more understanding of maternal failings. As a result we work together on projects. She runs a small online needlework business and makes sure I have the proper equipment as a result I am completing a project using vintage materials to make a pair of bedspreads, I have signed up for a course on patchwork and quiltling and I have even returned to knitting, something DD has never got to grips with.

whenim64 Wed 11-Jul-12 09:47:01

I have started sewing again, havng recently treated myself to a new machine. I've always got some knitting on the go, there's a jigsaw on the kitchen table, which I'll do when there's a radio programme I want to sit down and listen to, I bake for fun, love gardening, and my best pastimes are spent introducing my grandchildren to crafts and hobbies. Homecrafts are becoming more popular and important, which is one in the eye for consumerism. I do enjoy the Kirst Allsop progammes.

Hoping to go strawberry and raspberry picking with a friend in Poynton this afternoon, if the sun will come out. Not enough strawberries in my garden yet and I fancy making some jam. sunshine

Bags Wed 11-Jul-12 10:20:52

I have always enjoyed sewing and seemed to have a natural affinity for it from an early age. Good eyesight helps. I make quilts and other patchwork items, used to make dresses, shirts, etc. Have always knitted and crocheted. Taught myself to tat and make temari, and a few other things. These things can be quite meditative in the sense that you have to concentrate enough not to go wrong, but it is a complete change from other kinds of thinking and therefore restful. Also, it's immeasurably rewarding to be able to create something useful, beautiful and unique. Nothing more so, I'd say, except perhaps helping others to create. Cheers, therefore, to the teachers who taught me to use my brain and my hands together smile

Anagram Wed 11-Jul-12 10:28:04

I have a natural affinity with sewing, too. I wonder if it's hereditary? I know my mother, who died when I was a baby, was a very keen dressmaker.

Bags Wed 11-Jul-12 10:32:47

I think it can skip a generation! My mum could sew but hated it. I think her mother was the same, though her sister enjoyed it. My paternal grandmother made some lovely things and my paternal grandfather, a coal miner, was very good at woodwork. Similar skills and patience required, I imagine.

My maternal grandfather, when grandma told him the kitchen needed decorating, said: "Why are you telling me?" wink

Annobel Wed 11-Jul-12 10:47:43

It certainly skipped mine! The sight of a needle and thread brings me out in a cold sweat. My grandmother was a fine needlewoman and my mum was pretty good as well. Now my grand-daughter is doing well on the creative side of he fashion course and her half sister is creative too.

jeni Wed 11-Jul-12 11:31:06

Needle and thread? Only used in surgery!

AlieOxon Wed 11-Jul-12 11:58:12

I hated sewing at school, the teacher was very fussy....later when I discovered you didn't have to do things her way, I started making my own clothes - I couldn't find things I liked in the shops and got fed up!

Making curtains at the moment to keep the sun out but they are on hold until we get some. But hand sewing has become difficult owing to hand arthritis.

snapshot Tue 17-Jul-12 08:05:34

Until my wife and I separated I designed and built toy castles in my garage/workshop .. not large quantities you understand, just a few here and there .. but now I live alone in a first floor flat I have nowhere I can use circular saw, scroll saw, linisher, pedestal drill etc .. I shall post a photo or two when I fix my PC as this old laptop struggles with images .. Talking of images, I also enjoy digital photography .. I take photos at my local rugby club and edit them using Adobe Photoshop .. I also edit shots taken on occasional days out.

Ella46 Tue 17-Jul-12 08:57:26

Your little gs looks a sweetie, has he got a licence for that bike? grin

petallus Tue 17-Jul-12 09:16:40

I used to do a lot of patchwork. I can see the point; for me it's the soothing rhythm of sewing and chosing lovely colours. I'd like to do a wall hanging but haven't got round to it yet. I do a lot of knitting. There's a whole art movement in knitting. I cook. Visit museums and galleries, theatres and the cinema. I have recently started baking again. I'm learning Spanish. I read a lot, walk and do yoga.

That sounds exhausting. I think I should cut down smile

snapshot Tue 17-Jul-12 10:10:29

Ah Ellie .. don't be fooled by his babyfaced look .. I did make an attempt to stop him taking the bike for a spin .. he simply placed his hand on my shoulder, looked me squarely in the eyes, and said, 'Chill out Grand-dad, you know I can handle this baby much better than you' .. and off he went! .. hhmmmm!!

snapshot Tue 17-Jul-12 10:13:32

Apologies Ella .. I addressed you as Ellie! .. Ooooops!!

Ella46 Tue 17-Jul-12 10:45:21

No problem snap, I've been called worse! grin

BurgundyGran Tue 17-Jul-12 10:58:17

I enjoy knitting when my arthritic hands allow. I make cards, jewelry and keyrings. I have made them for my daughters with their childrens' names on them and for me with the diseases I suffer from.

My favourite hobby is reading, I read a lot. I also write stories and blogs. Living in France learning French isn't so much a hobby as a way of life!

Probably people will think my hobbies are a waste of time but it is what I enjoy.

NannaB Thu 19-Jul-12 08:27:55

Last item I knitted was a cardigan for GS but sleeves were a bit long. Would have been suitable for a baby chimp. So won't bother for new GS due in November. My sewing is just as bad - good job hubby is handy with a needle! smile

Ariadne Thu 19-Jul-12 09:12:52

My mother made all my clothes when I was a child - even coats, and they were exquisite. Later in life, when I needed evening dresses or long skirts, she would always make them.

Me - nah! I think Wonder Web is an amazing invention. I have her work box, however, so do have the wherewithal to sew on a button if pushed.

I do wish I wasn't so ham fisted, though. I can knit, (Aran sweaters once) but don't see the need any more.