Gransnet forums

AIBU

government policy on paying for healthcare

(57 Posts)
Euny Wed 11-Jul-12 10:15:18

the way i see this new policy it that the people who have worked all their working life to buy a home are paying for this new policy , while the people who live in rented homes and who have either smoked or drunk their way through life will not pay anything..
Tis just like the unfair council tax.
I am a widow of 85 living alone and pay more tax and water rates that familes down the road who have multiple cars on their drives...
This rubbish governmet that we have..{ whoever is in } will only look after themselves because they don't live in the real world

johanna Tue 17-Jul-12 19:04:34

ana
Thanks for that.
I have looked on ageuk.org.uk
When I typed deprivation of assets in searchbox, a huge fact sheet came up,with all the info anybody could want. The last update was MArch 2012.
I picked out the following:
This is a guidance to the LA. regarding the timing of the disposal of assets.

It would be unreasonable to decide that a resident had disposed of an asset in order to reduce his charge for accommodation when the disposal took place when he was fit and healthy and could not have foreseen the need for a move to residential accommodation.

Anagram Tue 17-Jul-12 19:17:11

Yes, and one would hope that that guidance would be adhered to, but this bit:

'You should be aware that there is no limit on how far back authorities can go when considering if this is the case.'

would seem to imply that LAs have discretion to try and prove that the disposal was carried out expressly to avoid care fees.

jeni Tue 17-Jul-12 19:47:27

My mother still had to pay for her n/h she lived in bridge of earn Perth!

johanna Tue 17-Jul-12 19:51:29

Yes, ana , absolutely.
But I would have thought that the LA will have a very hard time to prove these cases, if executed like it says above.

On another note, why would any of us want to go into a care home even?
I have seen quite a few, state and private and they all filled me with dread.
If that is what awaits us I would rather have a pill.

Mishap Tue 17-Jul-12 20:08:43

It is an interesting idea that people might have to pay interest on the loan. When the LA puts a charge on the property it is done through the courts and has an element of compulsion. Presumably no-one can compel someone to take out a loan; so what happens if someone refuses to do that, do they have no care I wonder?

Anagram Tue 17-Jul-12 20:16:57

Yes, I suspect that, as usual, the glaringly obvious flaws in the proposed policy have just been ignored in the rush to get it out!