Gransnet forums

AIBU

government policy on paying for healthcare

(56 Posts)
POGS Wed 11-Jul-12 12:43:08

home

susiecb Wed 11-Jul-12 12:15:40

We were told NHS care was cradle to the grave - how come that is only true in Scotland? This policy is a smoke screen and people dont realise they dont have to go into a home if they dont want to. They may have to pay for some care at home but nothing like on the scale of a care home fees. Bloody scandal money wasted on farting around with House of Lords, MPs expenses and pensions which are not being affected like everyone elses, endless tinkering with the NHS and public services I could drone on and on........ and usually do.angry

maxgran Wed 11-Jul-12 12:11:09

I know people who have always lived in rented homes because they could never get a mortgage. They worked all their lives and they contributed.
No one forces you to buy a house, you can rent like other people have to or choose to do. Once you make your choice you shouldn't really start resenting what others have done.
Having said that,......... I don't think anyone should have to pay for care in their old age. Our society should look after the elderly whatever their circumstances.

Jacey Wed 11-Jul-12 10:52:56

Yes Euny I also think that those of us who have worked hard, saved what we could for our retirement are the ones who are being penalised angry
But there are also those who've worked hard, not been able to save but have paid their dues too ...into the system for their old age.
Then there's that group who've always lived 'high on the hog' and expect the state support them too once they've retired ...but who would also have contributed to funding system.
Plus the group who have always relied on the state for everything and plan to continue to do so!!

However ...there are the 50 shades of grey between each and every group ...so it shouldn't necessarily be a one size fits all sort of policy ...but neither should those of us who went without to fund our retirement smile

Annobel Wed 11-Jul-12 10:44:53

If I go into a home, I will have no use for my house. My sons have told me that they are happy to stand on their own feet. If my house is sold to pay for my care, why not?
'Unfair council tax'? I agree that there would be fairer methods of local taxation such as a local income tax, but let's not go into that now. People living in rented accommodation also pay council tax. If they are on a low income, they can claim council tax benefit, as can owner-occupiers who are on a low income. If you think you qualify, ring up the finance people at your local council or ask Age UK or CAB for advice. Presumably you already have the single occupancy discount.
As for water rates, if you think you are paying too much, your water company will gladly fit a meter for you so that you pay only for what you use. I was quids in when I was living by myself in a four-bed house and got a water meter.

Euny Wed 11-Jul-12 10:15:18

the way i see this new policy it that the people who have worked all their working life to buy a home are paying for this new policy , while the people who live in rented homes and who have either smoked or drunk their way through life will not pay anything..
Tis just like the unfair council tax.
I am a widow of 85 living alone and pay more tax and water rates that familes down the road who have multiple cars on their drives...
This rubbish governmet that we have..{ whoever is in } will only look after themselves because they don't live in the real world